2003 Power Steering Pump Noise.

cmw6964

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Viper.After approximately 20 miutes of driving,the Power Steering Pump starts making a loud whining noise & the steering requires added effort at low speeds.Has anyone had a similar problem ?

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have the cooling fan module recall performed yet?If so find out what tyoe of fluid they put back in when they refilled the system.The recall states to use power steering fluid #4883077 when it should have ATF-4 trans fluid in it.They will need to flush the system and maybe replace the power steering pump.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have the cooling fan module recall performed yet?If so find out what tyoe of fluid they put back in when they refilled the system.The recall states to use power steering fluid #4883077 when it should have ATF-4 trans fluid in it.They will need to flush the system and maybe replace the power steering pump.

Tom, the 03 Service Manual states many times DO NOT USE automatic transmission fluid for this power steering system.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a tsb stating what is factory fill in all DC cars.And it calls for the ATF 4 in the 03 viper.This info also came from one of the viper instructors.i have seen this twice already on cars that have had the C-31 recall performed.Installed a new pump and flushed the system and all is working well.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
THANKS, Tom...can see how this is confusing folks since the fluid recommemded in the RECALL on Cooling Mod/Steering IS WRONG (and REMAINS UNCORRECTED in the downloadable recall database !!!).

TSB from Aug 03 makes it clear that WE NEED TO USE ATF+4 in 2003 and 2004 Viper SRT-10's

THANKS, again, Tom, Mike, and Viper Wizard for your help !!!

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how do we verify that it was done correctly? I had mine done back in May.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom,

Thanks for the call today. As it turns out, my cars power steering recall has not been done. Can I still take the car to VIR?

Sorry, no thread jack intended.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Chris, if you mean "done correctly" in terms of fluid used, check your power steering fluid...if red, likely ATF+4, if clear, likely the older Mopar Power Steering Fluid.

I STILL HAVE A PROBLEM with the wording on the TSB that declares steering fluid usage, however...especially as the actual RECALL that recommends using the old MS-5931 is dated three months AFTER the TSB...as in November 2003!! DON"T EVEN ASK ME TO EXPLAIN what the TSB says about 92-02 Vipers(very confusing).

Service Bulletin Number 19-005-03 dated Aug. 29, 2003 codes 2003 and 2004 Viper SRT-10's as "ZB"...then proceeds to say that the "FACTORY FILL POWER STEERING FLUID" and "APPROVED SERVICE POWER STEERING FLUID" were and are BOTH MS-9602 (that is ATF+4)...however, OUR own 2003 SRT-10 had "clear fluid" in it from the get go...so, already, one sees an element of mis-info in the "Steering TSB".

By the way, MS-9602 is P/N 05013457AA in the single quart size.

I personally find this unsettling.

We did check a 5/04 build date 2004 SRT-10 on the showroom floor today and found "the red stuff" in the Power Steering.(presummably, ATF+4). One can only wonder WHEN the change REALLY took place as the techs here have seen "clear fluid" in many(if not all) 03's to date...prior to ther recall work...noting that MANY of the same cars STILL HAVE Mopar Power Steering Fluid (MS-5931 which is P/N 04883077) AFTER the recall was completed as per the published instructions.

So, should ALL 2003 and 2004 Viper SRT-10's have their Power Steering changed to MS-9602 NOW...and, if "post-recall" with MS-5931 in place, I am sure that there are those who will ask "WHO will pay for change"???

While Techs in whom I place a LOT of trust have pointed out that there is likely no emergency here, it would be GREAT to get this SORTED OUT once and for all, in my opinion.

SRT,(formerly PVO and Team Viper), can you advise???

THANKS, in advance.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jody I can do the recall at the track for you if you like.you should not have any issues.But if you do we can fix it there.If you would like me to do it call me I need some info.

Steve as always great write up

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Tom, am hoping get us ALL on the same "fluid page" !

Thanks, Brian...ATF+4 is the current choice....see you Saturday !!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, my 04 SRT-10 with a build date of 11-04-03 has red fluid in the power steering reservoir. I am assuming it is ATF-4.

I wonder if it's different for 04's and what the 04 service manual says to use.
My 03 came from the factory with clear ps fluid, the recall was done with the same clear fluid and the 03 service manual states NOT to use auto trans fluid.The TSBs' seem vague. I'd be leery of putting ATF into an 03.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
SRT10, we share the same concerns. In fact, ATF+4 does seem to be the trend in 04, and may become same in the 03's...BUT...since I can only second guess, call around, etc....

I personally HOPE that SRT will jump in sometime SOON and clear up the confusion created by the CONFLICTING STATEMENTS in the service manuals, Recall, and TSB.

Seems that such an OFFICIAL CLARIFICATION would be in the BEST INTEREST of ALL concerned.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
SRT10, as you and I suspected...my 2004 Dodge Viper Service Manual recommends using MS-5931 Power Steering Fluid...and says NOT to use automatic transmission fluid in the system (as noted in the front section on lubricants, etc.).

And, so once again I suggest....SRT, please comment officially.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 03 that I sold to my brother inlaw just went in to have the rack and pinion replaced, and I asked them what did they put back in, and they said DEX 4 ? I wonder if this could be wrong? We really want to find this out.

Has the factory said to ugrade to this, since the 04's are red DEX 4 or what. Is there a difference in the system, that makes one year take something different.

Lets get to the bottom of this. The bad thing about the rack going out on the car, was the fan didn't work and the temp got up to 240 about the time we got it into the service area. This only went on for a couple minuets.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Skip, there is NO such thing as "Dex4" as you know...seems to be a common "parts desk hipshot" mixture of nomenclature...mixing Arabic and Roman numerals...and, indeed the 04's that I'fve seen are coming with ATF+4...loaded with friction modifiers and upgraded temp resistance(it is synthetic) over ATF+3, as I understand the chemistry. Seems that ATF+4 is "better" on cold startup as well(at least better than MS-5931). (Others should correct these statements if they are in error)

I agree that we need an OFFICIAL OPINION...one would think that an official clarification would be in the best interest of ALL...ESPECIALLY D-C !!!!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I got it. I just hope the Dodge dealers get it right in everyones car, and If this upgrade is ok for cars that don't have it, I'm going to find out. Yes Steve the latest upgrade in the Dextron line was no. 3, but I they were calling it Dex 4 and I thought when did that come out.

Thanks Steve, these are things we must know. Most service advisers never know these things, and I'm fixing to have the cam bolt recall done, and I'm going to right down on paper that I've heard the bal. bolt is to be around 130 not 250 on 04 models and paste it on the windshield. If I'm he says I'm wrong I'll not let him do the car until he can prove otherwise.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I agree, Skip...and, I hope ALL those who read this board realize that we (You, and I and the other posters in these threads) are NOT trying to aggitate or embarrass Dodge, SRT, or any dealer, or Viper Tech...JUST trying to sort out and sift through ths layers of misinformation FOR THE COMMON GOOD OF ALL. Stay tuned.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Since I continue to hear from owners & Viper Techs (both here and in other states), I have to ask THE question:

If one owns a 2003 SRT-10 that underwent the cooling module recall, and the power steering system was subsequently filled with Mopar Power Steering Fluid (MS-5931)AS DIRECTED IN THE RECALL ITSELF (dated Nov. 2003...which is obviously AFTER the Steering Fluid TSB of Aug. 2003...and THEREFORE, presumed by logical folks to SUPERCEDE the Aug. 2003 TSB), should the the MS-5931 fluid be REMOVED in exchange for ATF+4 (MS-9602)...and if so, when?.. IMMEDIATELY, or within what time frame?? (we can discuss "at expense of whom" later...which, by the way, will always be cheaper than a new power steering system/fan module).

This merely requires the "SRT" Power Steering folks to sit down and make a decision...and TELL US the answer IN A TIMELY FASHION. In the meantime, Techs and owners both feel left out on a limb. Typograghic and editing errors are common is scientific writing in spite of the best efforts...and, I think most of us understand that possibility. The KEY to success of a functional system is to recognize such errors, admit to same, and rectify them ASAP with a forceful and widely distributed corrective explanation and action. "Omissions" can be understood, while "Comissions" are generally less well tolerated...noting, that when the perceived need to act that is delayed or stalemated,can indeed be perceived as a "Comission" in my opinion.

HELP, please !!!

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is how wars get started. I had the recall done. 6 years to go on ext warranty. Dodge will get it right. @ 50% all SRTs have not needed recalls. Not a problem.? Drive car hard enough to make sure everything gets replaced by 2010. Why don't you put this up to Q/A in VIPER mag?

Add...What's with the rusting clutch and brake pedals, but accell is shiny? *** details that matter.

Ramman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had two plastic pullies fail within the last 3 months. One on my 2004 Ram SRT-10 crank and one on my 96 GTS power steering. Both times the hub cam out of the pully.