2003 Viper Purchase Help!

tomscorvette

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Looking to purchase my first Viper next week. It is a 2003 that I love. Mostly because they are within my budget. Is there anything I should look for? The two cars I'm looking at have 11,000 miles and 14,000 miles. From the pics they look awsome but pictures make them all look brand new. Wheels? do some come polished and some don't? Where there options for them? can they be polished to bring up the luster? Any advise would be appreciated. Car-Fax looks perfect.
Thanks in advance, Tom
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
See if you can get it checked out. I just bought a 2003 three months ago with 23,000 miles (now have 24 :drive:). Main issue with my car is cosmetic - paint and some scratches, which I am gradually dealing with.

Mechanically, there are a couple things to watch for, a quick forum search will yield results. Good luck. These cars are pretty robust.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cannot simply polish the factory wheels because they are clear coated. I recall there were two TSB's on the '03. One was the cam bolt torque and the other was the incorrect valve clearance (valve angle). Most of the valve clearance issues were corrected prior to the cars leaving the plant. Make sure cam bolt issue applies to your build period. If so, run the VIN through your local Dodge dealership's service department to verify whether or not it had been adressed.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice is to calm your excitement a bit and do some searching. Learn as much as you can, it's a buyers market right now.

Good luck.

:usa:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Many, many solid, informative posts here covering your specific questions. Tonight I'm not inclined to re-type same. If you get tired of searching, call me for a quick "verbal download".
***-***-****...til 9:00 PM EDT.

Update: There are other recalls (cooling module...about 1300 cars...can damage stering rack of not corrected), TSB's...and ALWAYS run the VIN at a Dodge dealer...and look at the report YOURSELF. Good night.

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They look brand new because 9 times out of 10 the owners baby them..My 03 has 34K miles and that is almost abusive by Viper standards LOL..

They koolest thing about a 03 is you can get a nice example like the ones your looking at for say..38-41k....go park it right next to a 2006 that someone picked up for 44-47K and it's exactly the same car...Even go park next by someones same color 2009 that they paid 80-90K for and again minus the hood still the same car..

2003 srt10's are the best $$$ deal out there to me...

And even in 2010 510 HP and 11.9 at 122 mph is nothing to laugh at

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about the wheels. If the tires are original, tires and wheels will probably be your first mod. There were some beautiful 2010 wheels on Ebay for 200 each (which is dirt cheap). I only saw the rears but you could inquire about the fronts. Call Paul at Don Scharf Automotove. They are great to work with. First buy a good solid strong car. Have it checked out by the dealer or someone qualified before buying. Like everyone else said check the service record.

Good luck.

Last edited:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2003 srt10's are the best $$$ deal out there to me...

And even in 2010 510 HP and 11.9 at 122 mph is nothing to laugh at

As a new-to-me 2003 owner, gotta agree with this! Mine has 24K.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly..I could go on and on and on...

0-60 in 3.8 seconds
1/4 mile as fast as 11.7 at 123.9 mph
0-150 mph in 19.5 seconds
top speed of 193 mph
less than 10K srt convertables in the world
world class brakes
amazing track car right from the factory
looks that were so good in 2003 they still look the same in 2010 includeing the interior
83K base price

for 38-41K???????????????

It blows my mind.....My first 2003 srt10 purchased in 2007 was 54K and I still cant belieave people can get them for high 30's or very low 40's...

What I really love about the 2003 srt10 is even though the thing is 8 years old when people gawk at it someone will always mention how it's the newer viper..I always kinda chuckle that somthing 8 model years old is the newer anything but then again Vipers are so rare and they made so few changes from 1992-2002 till the srt10's emerged that I guess I kinda understand

OP
OP
T

tomscorvette

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I think I found a great Viper site :2tu: dealer ran a service record and all the recalls where taken care of. Also ran a car-fax and found two previous owner's where listed as "corporate/personal" so I am assuming company owned. I am going to look at this car Tuesday. Hope the body is perfect :dunno:
Tom

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good lead. Be sure to hold back some $$$$ for new tires and full fluid change just in case they are needed (around $3000.00 total).

Good hunting!!!

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I think I found a great Viper site :2tu: dealer ran a service record and all the recalls where taken care of. Also ran a car-fax and found two previous owner's where listed as "corporate/personal" so I am assuming company owned. I am going to look at this car Tuesday. Hope the body is perfect :dunno:
Tom

Dont get too hung up on the pristine appearance. Eventually if you drive it you will get minor blemishes and "sandblasting" on the front bumper if you drive with a spirited group.

This forum is packed with informative posts, knowledgable people, and great business supporters! Use it to your advantage and don't forget the search function.

:usa:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eventually if you drive it you will get minor blemishes and "sandblasting" on the front bumper if you drive with a spirited group.

Yep, this is one of the cosmetic issues with mine. I'm at peace with it, it's a driven car, not a show queen.

Good advice about tires too - I shelled out for new PS2s.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put up my 2003 for sale on craigs list for 42k...surprisingly I already have someone ready to pay that price pwnding inspection...i should have said 44k..........my baby is really nice though...so I may not sell it and relist her higher...got 3 people interested in my nsx and two of them are getting money together...i love my 03 but you guys may see me in a gen4 soon

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
..and don't forget to link to our regional VCA Presidents and give your local Prez a call. They will either help with the inspection themselves, or point you in the right direction of the local "Viper Guru" that can look for those subtle issues (wear and tear and other).

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You are correct...we have an early-build 03, ordered trunk liner for few hundred dollars more. Also, NO cover for soft top...another option later that year for about $400...which we have easily done without all these years. I do believe both of those items came as standard in 04.

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Am I to understand that the 2003 Viper trunk liner was an option :dunno:
Tom

The trunk liner was not optional, just not yet introduced. It came in 2004 and can buy new for about $250.

I just bought an '03 with 4200 miles May 1. After a several month search, I have a pretty good feel for pricing vs mileage vs condition. If you want to discuss what my findings were, send me a private message. Dealers generally charged the most outrageous costs on the used Viper but there are exceptions.

I always check the underneath side of the front facia. A chronic place to get curb rash. Also the wheels...they sometime get curb rash. I would also check the depth of tread. That will tell you how hard the car was run and whether you need to spend money for a new set of tires soon or not.

Run the windows up and down. The regulators are chronic at breaking. Mine broke since I have had it and a regulator is thousand bucks, not installed.

Do the other normal stuff like you would do with any used car. Ask for maintenance records, car fax, check the oil to see how dirty it is.

Good luck.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ditto for me what Ghengis said. I bought my 03 back in April with 23K. Front fasica rash, minor curb rash on a couple wheels. Nothing horrible, just tells you car was driven. I found mine at BJ Motors. Contact Bernie Katz - he won't steer you wrong (no pun intended).

Feel free to PM me.

hemi70

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine in late April with 13k on the clock. Got it for high 30's, deals are out there.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the way, if you want to see my car, go down to the detailing section, and look at the current Viper thread from the Junkman. Mine is the first black one in the thread that he used as a demo last weekend at Carlisle. Bear in mind, the first shot is after driving through a literal monsoon for 100 miles out the PA turnpike, and I hadn't yet cleaner her up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32