2003 Viper Vs. 2003 GT40. If price and power were the same, Which would you choose?

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MotorTrend.com says:
"...SVT Engineering built a worthy DOHC 5.4-liter V-8 fitted with four-valve heads and force-fed with a Roots-type Eaton supercharger. Peak output hits 500 horsepower and 500 lb-ft of torque, comparable to the 7.0-liter engine that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966 and 1967. Those figures also match the 2003 Dodge Viper's output exactly."

If price and power were the same, Which would you choose?

2003 Viper
462003Viper.jpg

462003Viper3.jpg

462003Viper5.jpg

Ford GT-40
You must be registered for see images

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd probably take the GT40 just because it's more of an all out racer than the SRT. When the GenIII gets a roof though...
smile.gif

I wouldn't complain having either though!

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take the GT-40
embarass.gif
in fact I plan on buying one someday after the price gouging is over (white/blue stripes) to go along with the Viper (keeping the GTS). The only thing I don't like about the GT-40 is the supercharger, big cubes would be better. I would also take the GT-40 over the CC because by the time the CC is out (in a street legal version) it will look EXACTLY like the SRT with a hard top
frown.gif
Those that are waiting for the CC street legal version to come out (if it ever does) are going to be very, very, disappointed with the looks (no insider info, just speculation)

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take the SRT 10. 500 HP looks to be the upper limit on the GT40. The power level in the Viper could be upped easily to levels the Ford would never see.

I'm kind of surprised that Ford didn't put a version of their V-10 in the GT40.
Dave

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take the SRT/10 because.... I want a convertible and I've had nothing but bad luck
crying.gif
with Fords.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark O:

Please don't take offense, but judging by your signature, I can see why you like the Stratamaro....it's the Corvette that Chevy couldn't build. Me thinks that Bruntoon falls in the same catagory. Anyone else?????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

now now mark!

You know my likes current and historically in cars, if I had to choose it would be simple.

500HP N/A &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 500HP S/C

plus I'd like a convert with a hard top option

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark O:
No offense either, but you sound like all the C4 guys who complained about the redesign of the Corvette back in 1997. Call it what you want, but I personally like the Gen I and II Vipers and the SRT 10 and the Corvette. The GT40 is nice also. I like all types of cars, and although I favor Corvettes at this point, the GEN I and II Vipers were a bit too attention grabbing for me, meaning that Vipers draw a crowd wherever they go. In my area there are a lot of C5s, and they are relatively commmon. I hate for people to be touching my cars and all, so I guess I opt for more mainstream designs.

I'm also a bit more paranoid than the average sports car owner as my first C5, a 1998 Coupe, was mercilessly vandalized in a parking lot and needed an entire respray.
Dave

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT-40, not even close I have the best viper they make now.Also about the 500 hp being all there is in the ford , think 2wice in muscle mustang and fast ford mag they got 600hp out of a lightning motor with stock fuel system and blower upgrades and said the internals are beefy enough stock for that kind of horse.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take the SRT in a heartbeat. I wasn't alive in the 60's or early 70's, so why do I want a car that looks like it has been sitting in a barn for 30 years? I want something modern.

As for the "majority' that likes the SRT - I've said it a million times but it is not sinking in... the SRT is aimed at a different market so it's only natural that existing Viper owners (who are big on unique style and don't care much for refinement) would not care for the new design too much.

MarkO,

No offense to you either, BUT, I buy what tickles my fancy. The time we met up at Bertuccis, didn't you tell me you had always owned Mopars and would never own anything but a Mopar? That's like saying "Yeah, Halle Berry is really hot but I'd never date a black girl"... I mean, why be so judgemental? I'll buy whatever tickles my fancy. My first car was a Vette - nothing to do with bland styling - I think the Vette was the best of the Supra/RX7/3000GT/300Z bunch (I also owned 2 RX7's by the way). I never really cared for the C5 and still don't like it, but if they came out with a car that looked nice to me and crushed the Viper, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I can't imagine performing the lemming maneuver to such an extent that I'd give up on some really great cars. I really don't mean this as a slam Mark, but if you're a "Mopar guy", what were you into before the 90s? Before there was a Stealth or a Viper - I mean, what were you doing, hot-rodding a minivan?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered both.

The GT40, which like my 93 RT/10, reminds me of a time when I was not in a position to purchase what made my heart beat.

The SRT/10 for the ultimate Viper experience, one which has always been better than advertised. Plus I like the real power, and at this time, the GT40 is nothing but a great looking car with NO APPROVED DRIVE-LINE.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither.

I would take a 360 Modena 10 times out of 10 over that butt-ugly GT-40. I'd be embarassed to even DRIVE one. Sheesh. Maybe they should have come up with a new design, and not used the SAME GT-40 lines.

At least with the SRT-10, I'd look kinda cool in a completely updated car. The rear end of the SRT-10 is just flat scary looking from behind.

Not that I'm driving to look cool, which is why I would drive neither.

By the way--the blower is just one more thing to break, so I would also err on the side of reliability.

I just love cars that don't break.

I'm happier driving a slightly slower car that never breaks, rather than a faster car that I have to work on every two months.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put your money where your mouth is. I was debating people on this when I was on the fence. Then I heard that this thing was going to go for 150-500k, and be absolutely no better off than the best kits available. Also keep in mind, that there has been knock-offs of this car (some of which are 20k) for 20 years, and no one would ever no the difference, even in performance.

Sure they will make 100 or so commemorative units, and the collectors will ****** em up, but as a long-term threat, I'd be concerned about spending 80k (IF they go mass production) when you can get the same thing for 50% off. I'd think the same thing if there were Viper knock-offs that had a 20 year head start on PVO, if the scenario were reversed.

But since we are having a fantasy discussion (cause the price and quality of these 2 cars will likely never be the same), why stop at this level of fantasy? I'd pick a mclaren if it was the same price. We can all dream right?

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred do you mean First On Race Day GT 40? And if you don't believe me call over to Enzo's place and someone can confirm that for you.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not a big Ford fan in general, but I really do like the GT40. But to respond, I would rather push a GT40 than have an SRT. Now, if they would release a street version of the competition coupe, I would remain Viper loyal.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a tuner who recently got his Lightning to run a high 10 second quarter mile. Now imagine putting that same engine in a car that weighs 1 TON less, and has way better aerodynamics. Setting aside traction and driver issues, I think that the GT-40 has some potential! The Eaton blowers used in the Lightning are very reliable and durable, from what I've seen. The biggest problems are in the connecting rods, but with the use of forged H-beam Manley rods in the new Cobra, there's no question that Ford will be upgrading the internals on the new Lightning-derived GT40 motor (if that's what they'll be using).

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe I can appreciate an unbiased opinion like yours, as you are correct once again. I am a multiple viper owner and love them but I am also a realist and I think the guys on this board should quit worrying about there viper getting smoked by a GT 40, because thats a forgone conclusion outside of dreamland.In the real world Viper guys better watch out for those new 11 sec mustangs that are gonna kick your a**'s.The horsepower race is begining and I am afraid the viper might be falling behind, there is rumor of a 427 corvette in 2004 with over 500 hp in the zo6.The v10 makes good power but is underpowered for its size in this day and age.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke,

Do you mean the GT-40 will have a 4.22 or the Mustang Cobra?

I was not aware that the GT-40 was far enough along in development to have any gears selected just yet. If you mean the Cobra, a 4.22 would be something to be VERY worried about in that car. I can't imagine the traction problems in 1st with 380RWHP and 4.22s!

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my Lightning, they gave me a free subscription to 'Inside the Oval', (something future GT40 owners will get to look forward to!) which is an official publication from Ford. In the Feb 2002 issue, they specify the rear-end ratio of the GT40 as 4.22:1, limited slip. With the rear tires being only 285/45R19's, and with 500 hp/500 tq, I'm wondering if traction will be an issue...

GTSFE304

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my 2001 GTS as many of you do, and am glad I ordered the SRT also(as some of you are). I agree the GT-40 looks dated. If more certificates were out there I bet there would be less criticism of the SRT and more people embracing this state of the art, contemporary beast on wheels. Which respectfully leads to a question: Is the problem the SRT or the inability of some to obtain one???

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I don't find either car appealing looks-wise from the pics I've seen. Will reserve final opinion once I see one in person.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered the SRT-10 and the Comp Coupe.

Maybe a GT-40 later on.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion I think the problem with the new car is its generic look similar to the stratus, camaro, s2000 as well as other cars and the previous vipers well man there was nothing like them out there.
The car had its own look and identity now it seems to lose that, but I do agree with some guys that when you can buy them and you have one the look will grow on you just like c5 vette did to vette owners although the c5 was a big step up in my opinion.