2008+ Clutch Effort and other questions regarding Urban Usage

rotate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker on the forum. I always adored the Viper and am at the point where I am considering purchasing one in the near future.

So, thank you in advance for putting up with anything that's been previously adressed in other posts (I did some searching), and thank you for taking the time to give this a read.

If I buy the Viper, I have every intention of making it my daily driver most of the time, most of the year. I live in New York City, right across the river from Manhattan, and do mostly urban driving, with a fair share of road trips and sub-urban-rural outings.

Now, you don't have to tell me that the viper makes about as much sense in this environment as cognitive neuroscience does to Sara Palin. I am well aware of all the things that conspire to make the viper a poor choice for uran transport.

My current daily driver is a 2008 Lotus Elise S/C, another car ill suited for the city, particularly NYC. It's fiberglass construction all but assures an insanely expensive repair should I get even nudged parallel parking, which is almost a certainty in NYC, and it's suspension likes the pothole filled roads about as much as I like having **** surgery.

Anyway, perhaps I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I love Daily Driving exotics, even though I live in the city, and have done so for a long time.

Anyway, my questions:

The only Viper I've ever driven was a 2003 SRT-10 Conv. that I valet parked back when I was in High School. Anyway, I remember the clutch being very heavy, and thinking how miserable it must be in traffic.

So, my question: How much easier, vs the 2003-2006 vipers, would you consider the clutch pedal effort to be on the 08+. When you get stuck in a traffic Jam, do you curse profusely and need an ice pack on your knee when you get home?

Anything else, coming from the perspective of someone who thinks an Elise is very comfortable on a daily basis, I should be aware about int terms of red flags for driving the viper in a city environment.

As far as winter goes, I have other cars, and although I would use this one when the roads are clear, as they are a fair amount of the time MOST winters, certainly not this one, I know better than to take a Viper out in the snow/salt/sleet/slush.

Thank you for your time and whatever advice/responses you may have to offer.

Cheers,

Jason

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you have to ask it might not be a fit for you. but the best person to ask about this is CITY. he lives in NYC and drives his viper more than most do. he had a gen2 and now has a gen4.

if it helps, ive been in 2 hours of GWB traffic in a 800+ HP viper in 95 degree weather with a stock clutch and didnt have any problem.

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rented a 2003 VIPER in Vegas before I bought my car, and was that clutch heavy. I thought if my car was going to be like that I would have a Popeye calf. What a difference !! My 2010 is soooooo smooth and light. No Popeye calf here !!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own a 2003, and I don't think the clutch effort is that bad, but it also has 25,000 miles, and I'm a runner with strong legs, if that makes any difference!:rolaugh:
My "red flag" about urban driving is - the condition of the roads - potholes, etc. Gotta watch it, but I'm sure you're used to that in the Lotus.

I applaud your use as a daily. If I lived in Florida or Arizona, I can tell you right now my Viper would be my semi-daily. My DD is 2004 Dodge Cummins Dually - so maybe I'm a little touched like you!:D

I'm sure the Gen IV guys will chime in shortly about the clutch effort.

BLUEVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned older models with the heavy clutch and now have a 2010 FE. I am probably one of the few who prefer the older stiffer clutch to the new (significantly) lighter clutch. My car is not a daily driver, but the 2010 clutch should not be a problem at all to drive daily....in my opinion.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008+ is much lighter than the 2003 clutch you remember. As some have mentioned, much smoother. WHich I like. It's like night and day between my GEN II and GEN IV clutch.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2006 and the clutch feels like I'm stomping on butter. But I'm also use to daily driving a 400hp 02 mustang GT with a cable clutch and built transmission with a stage 3 clutch.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned older models with the heavy clutch and now have a 2010 FE. I am probably one of the few who prefer the older stiffer clutch to the new (significantly) lighter clutch. My car is not a daily driver, but the 2010 clutch should not be a problem at all to drive daily....in my opinion.

I agree, I prefer the feel of my '97 clutch to my '09.
And don't even mention the instantaneous throttle response on the Gen 2's versus the sluggish '09.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DD?

What exactly should be the fun to drive a Viper in stop-and-go traffic in bigger cities :crazy2:

:D Curvy country side roads and passes :drive:

You must be registered for see images

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, my question: How much easier, vs the 2003-2006 vipers, would you consider the clutch pedal effort to be on the 08+. When you get stuck in a traffic Jam, do you curse profusely and need an ice pack on your knee when you get home?

Jason

if you have to ask it might not be a fit for you. but the best person to ask about this is CITY. he lives in NYC and drives his viper more than most do. he had a gen2 and now has a gen4.

if it helps, ive been in 2 hours of GWB traffic in a 800+ HP viper in 95 degree weather with a stock clutch and didnt have any problem.

Hate when Plum's right.

Welcome Jason. Trying to recall if I've seen you around town since I do notice most every Lotus that moves around here. Pretty rare to see in the city.

I would concur with all the prior comments. Clutch depression was a bit heavier on my Gen 2 than my Gen 4, but honestly, after an hour in the new car, the difference completely fades from memory. Like others, if I had the choice, I think I'd prefer the Gen 2 stiffer pedal ... but not by much. I drive in WAY too much serious traffic. I feel it more in my calf than in my knee or quad. Actually hurts the most in my head as I have to crawl along at 2 MPH in a 200 MPH car. But it's NEVER been a problem, at least not enough to stifle my enjoyment of the car. Not even close!

Maybe because I've always been a city person, but I just don't think twice about it. Hyper vigilant is far more the concern than traffic, but I'm sure you've got your head on a swivel in your Lotus.

PM me if you need more opinion.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I have a Gen3 Conv. and a Gen 4 Coupe both of which have a very user friendly clutch. The clutch in my Superformance Cobra is much stiffer. I'd definitely encourage you to go with either a Gen 3 or a Gen 4. I'd use it in the city in a heart beat as I sometimes do in the city of Atlanta known worldwide for the traffic.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 71 year old mother can drive my Viper in traffic. The clutch pedal effort should really be no problem at all.

OP
OP
R

rotate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate when Plum's right.

Welcome Jason. Trying to recall if I've seen you around town since I do notice most every Lotus that moves around here. Pretty rare to see in the city.

I would concur with all the prior comments. Clutch depression was a bit heavier on my Gen 2 than my Gen 4, but honestly, after an hour in the new car, the difference completely fades from memory. Like others, if I had the choice, I think I'd prefer the Gen 2 stiffer pedal ... but not by much. I drive in WAY too much serious traffic. I feel it more in my calf than in my knee or quad. Actually hurts the most in my head as I have to crawl along at 2 MPH in a 200 MPH car. But it's NEVER been a problem, at least not enough to stifle my enjoyment of the car. Not even close!

Maybe because I've always been a city person, but I just don't think twice about it. Hyper vigilant is far more the concern than traffic, but I'm sure you've got your head on a swivel in your Lotus.

PM me if you need more opinion.

Thank you very much for your input. Haven't been using the Lotus as much this winter thanks to the road conditions and the weather, here are some pics. (I mainly dive around the washington square park, lower east side, madison square park, area in Manhattan). One of the best feelings in the world is being the first car to get stuck at the last light before the entrance to the willamsburg bridge; I tread it like the lights at a drag stip.

You must be registered for see images attach

Glad to hear your about your traffic driving sentiments I feel the same way.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. Obviously I'm going to test drive one, but I now feel more confident in strongly considering a viper for use in my daily life.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be the exception but when I first got a Gen 4 I thought the clucth was much more difficult than my Gen 3. I've driven a stick for a very long time and I stalled the Gen 4 at least once every time I took it out, never stalled the Gen 3 even when it was brand new. Having said that I now don't stall the Gen 4 and actually prefer the clutch in it to my Gen 3. It feels crisper. I would not hesitate to drive the Gen 4 or my Gen 3 all the time.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be the exception but when I first got a Gen 4 I thought the clucth was much more difficult than my Gen 3. I've driven a stick for a very long time and I stalled the Gen 4 at least once every time I took it out, never stalled the Gen 3 even when it was brand new. Having said that I now don't stall the Gen 4 and actually prefer the clutch in it to my Gen 3. It feels crisper. I would not hesitate to drive the Gen 4 or my Gen 3 all the time.

I think due to the DBW, the Gen 4's will stall when you pop the clutch at idle. Pop the clutch at idle in my Gen 2 and it would crawl up 20 degree incline w/o stalling! THAT's a great point and something that I DO miss in traffic.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think due to the DBW, the Gen 4's will stall when you pop the clutch at idle. Pop the clutch at idle in my Gen 2 and it would crawl up 20 degree incline w/o stalling! THAT's a great point and something that I DO miss in traffic.

Exactly right.
Embarrassed to say I stalled my Gen 4 more than a few times at first coming from the Gen 2.
DBW and long clutch felt really different, and I never stalled my Gen 2's ever.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, my Gen 2 would tolerate a lot of poor clutch pedal action. My Gen 3 isn't bad either but the Gen 4 requires more precise release so as not to stall. Mind you I'm very used to the Gen 4 now so there isn't a problem.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find the clutch pedal effort goes up as the clutch is on it's way out. I have had several gen 3 and 4 vehicles that had much less effort with a new clutch.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's not the DBW that's the reason for the stall or the reason the Gen IV stalls easier than a previous Gen.
A Gen IV has a smaller diameter, twin disc clutch. Thus, less rotating inertia of it's own.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sometimes get stuck in heavy city traffic as I use my 08 as a DD in the summertime. My only complaint is with the stock 3.07 gear when I release the clutch completly the car goes faster than the stop and go traffic around me even at idle. I'm now thinking about getting 3.55 gears wich would let the car crawl at a lower speed.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the clutch in my gen 2, I've had it almost three months now and if it isn't raining or forecast to rain it is my DD. I don't even really notice how heavy it used to feel, but I DO notice the difference when I take the RX-7 out for a spin. I thought for a second that the clutch in the Mazda had gone out but it's just that light compared to the Vipers clutch, like others have mentioned on here I really enjoy the positive feel you have from the clutch in the Gen 2. Jeff

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker on the forum. I always adored the Viper and am at the point where I am considering purchasing one in the near future.

So, thank you in advance for putting up with anything that's been previously adressed in other posts (I did some searching), and thank you for taking the time to give this a read.

If I buy the Viper, I have every intention of making it my daily driver most of the time, most of the year. I live in New York City, right across the river from Manhattan, and do mostly urban driving, with a fair share of road trips and sub-urban-rural outings.

Now, you don't have to tell me that the viper makes about as much sense in this environment as cognitive neuroscience does to Sara Palin. I am well aware of all the things that conspire to make the viper a poor choice for uran transport.

My current daily driver is a 2008 Lotus Elise S/C, another car ill suited for the city, particularly NYC. It's fiberglass construction all but assures an insanely expensive repair should I get even nudged parallel parking, which is almost a certainty in NYC, and it's suspension likes the pothole filled roads about as much as I like having **** surgery.

Anyway, perhaps I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I love Daily Driving exotics, even though I live in the city, and have done so for a long time.

Anyway, my questions:

The only Viper I've ever driven was a 2003 SRT-10 Conv. that I valet parked back when I was in High School. Anyway, I remember the clutch being very heavy, and thinking how miserable it must be in traffic.

Anything else, coming from the perspective of someone who thinks an Elise is very comfortable on a daily basis, I should be aware about int terms of red flags for driving the viper in a city environment.

As far as winter goes, I have other cars, and although I would use this one when the roads are clear, as they are a fair amount of the time MOST winters, certainly not this one, I know better than to take a Viper out in the snow/salt/sleet/slush.

Thank you for your time and whatever advice/responses you may have to offer.

Cheers,

Jason

uh oh. your buds on the lotus board are going to chastise you going from from an elise to a viper. theyre gonna try to talk you into a miata or a mini cooper.
:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte