2008 Dodge Viper

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
So the gen3.5 will have a V-Tech motor under the hood....

Will it be called the SRT-Type?

......damn........

Seriously, with toyota body design, honda motor technology,
and German .. *ahem* relaibilty, why not just shoot the viper's
image of All-American right now.

"Viper - as un-American as you can possibly get in an American Sports Car..."

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ahem... even if all-american would include Mexico, Bolivia and Canada then still Viper isn't all-american car anymore. When digging in the car I saw something with "made in China" on it :buttkick:

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM uses VVT on the 3.9 V6 in my G/F's GTP G6, and they've added it to the 3.5 V6 as well. Both are pushrod, cam-in-block motors. I wouldn't call BS just yet.
:)
http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php?page=Engine_Guide for more info.

Like I said I thought there was at one GM engine with it, but it sounds like maybe there are two. But, putting it on a 3.X liter V6 is a lot different then putting it on a 8.4 liter high end engine. Also, does Dodge actually have any experience putting using VVT on pushrod engines? So they are going to start with the viper.....I personally don't buy it. I figure if they want to make 600HP they should be able to hit that with out VVT on a 8.4 liter engine. My guess is it won't make much more then 600HP and the weight will stay roughly the same. At 3400lbs and 600HP it should have a HP/weight between the base Z06 and the blue devil. That is my guess where it will land.

bigerc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600hp and 700lb-ft of torque sound pretty sweet BUT will traction pose even more of a problem I mean that is an awfully huge amount of torque???

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'm betting tha the buldge hides a less restrictive intake system as well, perhpas twin throttle bodies with longer runners similar to the Gen II.

Also, I've read that VVT can be a challenge to tune.

Still, should be fun if it's dependable.

700 lb feet of torque at the flywheel is very manageable. Several years ago when I bought my first Viper I was told on this board to "learn to modulate the throttle". It took some time, but it works.

bigerc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well managing throttle is one thing but do we know anything about tires yet?? The tire situation right now isn't the greatest...

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well managing throttle is one thing but do we know anything about tires yet?? The tire situation right now isn't the greatest...

The tires are fine. Just air them up to 33-34 pounds cold pressure and they'll behave just fine. Yes, I am talking about the ZP tires.

The stock pressure of 29 or less is dangerous (I suppose it is 'recommended' because of gas mileage or tire wear). You see, with too little pressure you are driving around on the equivalent of rails because there is insufficient air to support the treads between the beefed up sidewalls hence the dangerous nature of the tires when underinflated.

I and others have had whole threads devoted to this topic.

-J

bigerc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh sorry if you have whole threads to this topic already. Didn't mean to hijack this thread. So please someone lead the discussion back to VVT.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you are 100% right on the VVT engine, it has basically been confirmed by a member of SRT, and the HP # will definetly be under 650, but at least if not more than 600HP. not sure if the TQ will be right at 700 yet. i couldnt get a straight answer on how they are going to get the power to the ground yet, but all will be revealed in january at the show, and the cars will be available late summer of next year.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a guy at the so called "Viper Legacy" tech session at VOI who felt he spoke for everyone at the Q & A afterwards. He started by first saying he was so disappointed that the tech session was not Viper related, which I agreed with, but then started claiming that DCX must have the nanny controls and an Automatic transmission. He continued to bark out his commands at Herb Helbig to the point where everyboby just started to leave.

The point to my story is, later that night I saw Herb at the memorabillia section and introduced myself. I told Herb that I did not agree with much of what had been demanded by that overly passionate enthusiast. He stated that DCX will probably have to bring certain options in line, to appease those individuals that want a less ******** car. To this effect, I wouldn't be surprised if traction control shows up on the next car.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
This guy at the Q&A should have been put down - there is
no way I could have stood there and allowed anyone to spew
that crap in the name of the viper nation. Sure there are
folks who want Autos and TC, but they usually plant their
car into a ditch and move on before anyone else cares.

The V-Tec doesn't bother me so much - I know of Hondas
lasting several hundred thousand miles with the setup.

What does bother me is how we on the board get censored
like mad because "DCX is listening." Well if they are
listening how is it we end up with VVT and not the 2001
Concept GTSR?

Yet another proof that SRT is more concerned with impressing
MotorTrend then it's customers.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He stated that DCX will probably have to bring certain options in line, to appease those individuals that want a less ******** car.

Why? They bought the Viper without the nanny aids didn't they?

Those folks are fair weather fans anyway. This year they buy a Viper, next year they buy a Vette and the next year it's a Porsche Cayenne, while us hardcores will stick with the Viper...until...

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does bother me is how we on the board get censored
like mad because "DCX is listening." Well if they are
listening how is it we end up with VVT and not the 2001
Concept GTSR?

Frankly, I'm amazed this thread has not been deleted already given the main bit of info regarding the new engine being discussed in it.

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm amazed this thread has not been deleted already given the main bit of info regarding the new engine being discussed in it.
If you had started the thread, or if Marko reads it, it'll go ****!
;)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many insurance companies are giving discounts for cars with traction control, and some people are looking to have it mandatory for all new vehicles by law in a few years.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-09-10-stability-control_x.htm
I don't mind traction control as long as you can turn it off. Especially with 600HP on tap.

Exactly. I had it back in a 99 Mustang GT and right there on the dash was the button to turn it on or off. Traction control is a small thing to add compared to some all-out nanny control system, especially if the traction control is readily turned off. Hopefully these cars won't have some sort of black-box technology though that can be used against the owners, that is the worst possibility, traction control is trifling matter.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So with traction control I can put my foot to the floor and go around a corner as fast as the car can go and don't ever have to worry about crashing. I can't wait to try it.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So with traction control I can put my foot to the floor and go around a corner as fast as the car can go and don't ever have to worry about crashing. I can't wait to try it.

LOL!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Stability control (With traction control being a part of that) may be a reqirement in 2009.

But the rule will also allow the manufacturer to install "disable" ability - if they so choose.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nht...FDB!-1096197876

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated%20Files/ESC_NPRM.pdf

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated%20Files/ESC_PRIA.pdf

Federal regulators proposed that all passenger vehicles sold in the U.S. come equipped with stability control systems designed to prevent rollover accidents, which kill more than 10,000 people each year.

The proposed rule promises "the greatest lifesaving improvement since the safety belt," said Nicole Nason, head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Under the rule, which must undergo a 60-day comment period before it becomes final, electronic stability control systems would be required equipment on virtually all new cars, pickups and sport utility vehicles starting with the 2009 model year.

Stability control, developed by Mercedes-Benz of Germany in the mid-1990s, is already available on a wide variety of vehicles sold in the U.S. The technology is standard equipment on 42% of 2006 model vehicles, according to the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, including 70% of sport utility vehicles. SUVs, in part because of their high centers of gravity, are especially prone to rollover accidents.

Ford Motor Co. said this week that stability control would be a standard feature on all its cars and trucks by the 2009 model year. The automaker already offers the systems as standard equipment on all its full- and mid-size SUVs.

General Motors Corp., the world's biggest automaker, has said it would have stability control on all its vehicles by 2010. Toyota Motor Corp. of Japan, the No. 2 carmaker, plans to have the systems on all models by 2009.

"This is something everyone can agree on," Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said.

Stability control uses computers to sense when a driver is losing control. Working in conjunction with anti-lock brakes, the system applies braking power to individual wheels to bring the vehicle under control and keep it on the road. Some systems also automatically reduce the amount of power being delivered by the engine.

"It's almost as if someone is grabbing hold of the car and pulling it back into line," said Champion, who has been road-testing stability control systems since the late 1990s.

Proponents note that collision avoidance systems don't require any special skill or knowledge on the part of the driver to work properly.

"It's like an automatic pilot that kicks in when you need it," said Russ Rader, a spokesman for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "All you have to do is continue to steer."

Most of the 100 or so models that currently feature stability control as standard equipment are higher-priced SUVs or cars made by Lexus, BMW and other brands. Making the systems required equipment means they will filter down to smaller economy cars, where they will benefit the younger drivers who need them most, Champion said.

How the systems will affect sticker prices is unclear. The traffic safety administration estimates that stability control and its required anti-lock braking system cost slightly less than $500 per vehicle.

However, according to pricing data gathered by Edmunds.com, stability control systems currently cost $500 to $1,000 when offered as optional equipment. And in some cases, cheaper versions such as the $300 system offered on the Kia Optima don't include anti-lock brakes, which cost an additional $795.

"With stability control being required on all cars, there should be a lowering of the cost," said Karl Brauer, editor in chief of Edmunds in Santa Monica.

In a recent survey, market research firm J.D. Power & Associates found that almost two-thirds of respondents said they would pay $400 to add stability control to a new vehicle.

Brauer notes that stability control isn't universally loved. Some "high-performance" drivers resent the loss of command they have over their vehicle, he said, adding that "some of the systems can be very intrusive."

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I remember seeing pictures of the new GEN3.5 Viper Engine. Weren’t those pictures all over the net couple months ago? I might even have one saved somewhere.

A different intake cover with 2 throttle bodies and 2 separate intake pipes. It looked taller than the GEN3 engine and that's one of the reasons why they came up with the new GEN3.5 hood.

Wasn't the speculated number 650 HP?

Having said that, what happened to this Viper Test Mule?

30MidVGX_med.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32