2008 Dodge Viper

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AUTOMOTIVE DESIGN PRODUCTION

07 November 2006 | Auburn Hills MI - - The Avenger isn't the only sibling for Chrysler's 2007 Sebring. In addition to the Sebring convertible available in both soft and folding hardtop versions?there will be a pair of crossovers in either front- or all-wheel drive form come 2009.

DCX isn't sitting on its laurels. It has plans to expand the Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger family with a crossover in 2009, and to take on Chevy's supercharged 640-hp Super Corvette with a more powerful 2008 Dodge Viper.

The Sebring/Avenger platform will spawn a crossover that is larger than the Caliber, but smaller than the Pacifica. Insiders liken it to Toyota's RAV4 and Ford's Edge, but state it will be a seven-passenger vehicle with a rear seat that folds flat into the rear floor. And while this seat reportedly is fit for not much more than toddlers, it's felt that the ability to advertise two more passengers than the Ford at the same or lower base price will be a distinct advantage. Moving forward under the JC46 codename, the new crossover will come in front- and all-wheel drive versions and offer the same powertrain lineup as its sedan counterparts.

As there also are plans to offer a more sporting version of the Avenger, its performance parts might make their way into the as yet unnamed family hauler scheduled to debut in Detroit in just over one year with a turbo packaged 4.0-Liter V6 powerplant. Chrysler also will have a version of this vehicle, with much more equipment, to compete with Lincoln's MKX, though it is doubtful there will be a Jeep version, especially in light of the soft sales of Jeep's Compass.

Those attending the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, however, will see the reason behind all of the Vipers running around Detroit with camouflaged hoods. Not willing to wait for the uber Corvette to hit the market before forming a response, the powers that be at DCX plan on pulling the wraps off their modified sports car at the same show Chevy will use to launch the new Vette.

Hiding under the Viper's taller, ridged hood is a first for the brute-force Dodge: variable valve timing. The addition of a technology that has been found in Asian economy cars for years has not only smoothed out the power delivery under extreme conditions, it raises horsepower to an even 600 while increasing torque to more than 700 lb-ft. This reportedly will drop the car's 0-60 mph acceleration time into the mid-three second range, and add a few mph to its top speed. CAS

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The addition of a technology that has been found in Asian economy cars for years has not only smoothed out the power delivery under extreme conditions, it raises horsepower to an even 600 while increasing torque to more than 700 lb-ft. This reportedly will drop the car's 0-60 mph acceleration time into the mid-three second range, and add a few mph to its top speed. CAS

What does this mean? What technology?

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The addition of a technology that has been found in Asian economy cars for years has not only smoothed out the power delivery under extreme conditions, it raises horsepower to an even 600 while increasing torque to more than 700 lb-ft. This reportedly will drop the car's 0-60 mph acceleration time into the mid-three second range, and add a few mph to its top speed. CAS

What does this mean? What technology?

Variable valve timing :2tu:

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It means variable valve timing. In other words, they can change the timing of the valves opening and closing relative to engine speed, load, etc. Normally, this is achieved using a hydraulic cam phasing unit powered by engine oil pressure with electronic control via a solenoid. My F150 utilizes this technology to offer high torque at low speed with good HP at the big end. Think of the old hot rodders trick, advance the cam timing, gain HP but trade away bottom end.

This technology gives you the best of both worlds, you can run a more aggressive cam, retard the timing at low engine speeds, while at the same time, advance the cam to gain on the big end.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Hiding under the Viper's taller, ridged hood is a first for the brute-force Dodge: variable valve timing. The addition of a technology that has been found in Asian economy cars for years has not only smoothed out the power delivery under extreme conditions, it raises horsepower to an even 600 while increasing torque to more than 700 lb-ft."

Let me be the first to ask. Can this configuration be supercharged and if so, how long will it take before the kit is ready? In the meantime, those of us with Paxtonized SRT10s are in very good shape.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
take on Chevy's supercharged 640-hp Super Corvette with a more powerful 2008 Dodge Viper.

GM hasn't even got track reliability in "the new Z06", so I'm not overly concerned about any Super Vette. 640hp is no good to me if it can't take the Sebring thrashings I give it month after month.

DC, I'd love to see a factory 600+hp Viper but please keep in mind - don't sacrifice our bullet proof motors for HP bragging rights over a POS from GM.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiding under the Viper's taller, ridged hood is a first for the brute-force Dodge: variable valve timing. The addition of a technology that has been found in Asian economy cars for years has not only smoothed out the power delivery under extreme conditions, it raises horsepower to an even 600 while increasing torque to more than 700 lb-ft. This reportedly will drop the car's 0-60 mph acceleration time into the mid-three second range, and add a few mph to its top speed. CAS

I think I got a chubby. Maybe now the wife won't care as much about me beating on the SRT/10 at the track with the thought of a new Viper down the road.
When does Woodhouse start taking deposits:)

Gotta love that torque.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
07 November 2006 | Auburn Hills MI - -__________________

Could you provide an internet link to this news. I cannot find it on the Automotive Design Production website.

Thank you,

-J

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, it can easily be supercharged. Many factory supercharged vehicles feature variable cam timing, and aftermaket kits have also been developed.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DCX isn't sitting on its laurels. It has plans to expand the Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger family with a crossover in 2009, and to take on Chevy's supercharged 640-hp Super Corvette with a more powerful 2008 Dodge Viper.

Ok since no one else seem to notice I'll bite...Since when is 600hp more powerful than 640hp....How is a 600hp Viper going to beat a 640hp 2900lb Vette????DC must be lightening the Viper to 2700lbs then to compenstate for the Vettes more powerful engine :2tu: ...Wishful thinking I know...Unless this intial 08 Viper is the answer to the C6 Z and they will have the Blue Devil killing ACR later at 700hp plus...One can only dream...

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ok since no one else seem to notice I'll bite...Since when is 600hp more powerful than 640hp....How is a 600hp Viper going to beat a 640hp 2900lb Vette????DC must be lightening the Viper to 2700lbs then to compenstate for the Vettes more powerful engine :2tu: ...Wishful thinking I know...Unless this intial 08 Viper is the answer to the C6 Z and they will have the Blue Devil killing ACR later at 700hp plus...One can only dream...

I believe thats the deal. The "reported" BD or whatever is an '09 car....much can be done with a V V T 10 cylinder...to be sure.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like how they credit the **** with VVT, I my view it's the Italians who came up with it. Desmodronic, it's called, Ducatis have had this far longer than any *** maker.

600 doesn't beat 640, but mayber 700lbs.ft will beat whatever the brand X car will have for torque.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.....Let me be the first to ask. Can this configuration be supercharged and if so, how long will it take before the kit is ready?

BOB! You crack me up ! The ink aint even dry on the release......

PS the HOOD is nice and should be a direct swap....PartsRack will accept trade-ins of old Gen 3.0 hoods for the newer Gen 3.1 hoods.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't like how they credit the **** with VVT, I my view it's the Italians who came up with it. Desmodronic, it's called, Ducatis have had this far longer than any *** maker.

I hope Dodge does not use rubber belts like Ducati does!

PS. I think SAAB had it as well.....inventing it and using it in mass production is the difference in perception

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Close, but not quite on the mark. Desmodromic valve trains use the cam to both open and close the valve as opposed to a more traditional layout where the cam opens the valve and the valve spring closes the valve. The desmodromic systems work great at high engine speeds where a spring is too slow to respond...causing the dreaded valve float.

Desmodromic systems do not vary the valve timing.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Variable valve timing was found on engines as far back as 1920. You can find examples in Taylor and Taylor, the engine engineers bible which was written way back then. Not a new concept.

GM was one of the first to study it in depth (i.e. combustion science) back in the mid 1970's due to emissions and fuel economy. To this I refer not to just timing but the whole valve event (lift, duration and timing).

My engineering thesis was on variable valve timing using hydraulically actuated valves (I won't tell you the timeframe but the GM study was the current technical state of the art at the time).

And of course Honda is the company best known for mass marketing the cam lobe switching concept. But they paid, and continue to pay Eaton for the latchable rocker arm patent rights. That patent was the backbone of the GM Cadillac V8-6-4 system circa 1978.

Ah, but I digress. Sorry for this moment of engineering lapse.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Variable valve timing was found on engines as far back as 1920. You can find examples in Taylor and Taylor, the engine engineers bible which was written way back then. Not a new concept.

GM was one of the first to study it in depth (i.e. combustion science) back in the mid 1970's due to emissions and fuel economy. To this I refer not to just timing but the whole valve event (lift, duration and timing).

My engineering thesis was on variable valve timing using hydraulically actuated valves (I won't tell you the timeframe but the GM study was the current technical state of the art at the time).

And of course Honda is the company best known for mass marketing the cam lobe switching concept. But they paid, and continue to pay Eaton for the latchable rocker arm patent rights. That patent was the backbone of the GM Cadillac V8-6-4 system circa 1978.

Ah, but I digress. Sorry for this moment of engineering lapse.

Very interesting. So what is your read on what is in store for us? Please compare and contrast the valve train that we have now with what is coming next year. What benefits? What, if any, detriments? Thanks in advance for your answer. Will the power curve be different? If so, how?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did anyone ever study VVT with a cam that slid back and forth in the bearings while the lifters rode on a specially ground lobe? Seems to me that would be better than Honda's system.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Did anyone ever study VVT with a cam that slid back and forth in the bearings while the lifters rode on a specially ground lobe? Seems to me that would be better than Honda's system."

Yes, but that concept has many problems. Contact stress, poor lubrication, lack of component rotation (for wear), etc.

There are many interesting concepts out there. Systems that provide true variable lift, duration and centerline timing without sacrificing something significant have yet to be developed. The BMW Valvetronic system probably comes closest to providing that potential, and is the only one I am aware of that can utilize the valve events to throttle the engine. Extremely complex, costly and difficult to manufacture. I think over the next decade we will see substantially more use of basic cam phasing systems. Maybe even to the point where the vast majority include phasing. Differences will include if it is intake only, intake and exhaust in concert or intake and exhaust independently. Each has its benefits and limitations with dual independent having the greatest potential. But timing alone will not be able to provide a leap in fuel economy or emissions reduction, and thus the search continues.

Note even Harley Davidson has developed a system for their 2 cylinder push rod engine. My understanding the biggest impact is it can allow the Harley to obtain the desired exhaust note and still meet emissions. That system is very clever and was invented by a colleague of mine that has worked on creating vvt systems for 20 some years. Wish I could share more.

As to the Viper engine I cannot share anything. Oh well.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new Super Vette is planned to debut in mid-year '08...as an '09. The new Viper motor packs enough wallop to put the Snake on top in about 5 months from now, not to be challenged for over 12 months...if the Super Vette ever happens.

From Autoweek 11/6:

"So far, names for the production supercharged Corvette include everything from Z07 to Blue Devil to Corvette SS to Sting Ray. No matter what they call it, look for production of the 2009 model to start in early 2008. And set aside at least $100,000 if you want to one in your driveway."

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any other pushrod engines use variable valve timing right now? I'm calling BS. I think maybe one GM v6 has VVT on a pushrod engine. I seriously, seriously, doubt it will be on the viper. That is a bet I would be willing to take.

The addition of a technology that has been found in Asian economy cars for years

And in every one of the sports cars, and in every BMW, and porsche, etc..etc. That line sounds like someone who knows nothing about cars.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see a point of having a taller hood when implementing VVT to a pushrod. So IF the hood is getting taller and IF it wouldn't bedue to a supercharging what IF they are getting ready new OHC engine? :hitfan:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss