2008 SRT 10 Differential clutches defective

Sennahnamrecken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3400 N. Ocean Dr. West Palm Beach FL 33404
I am in West Palm Beach FL, and the local service provides "Arrigo Dodge and Chrysler" determined that the noise coming from the rear end of my 2008 SRT 10 is due to used or defective clutches. They cannot get the parts to rebuild the differential nor replace the clutches.
I am at the very beginning of my research and have no idea, how big a deal the repairs will be, nor where to start.
The car drives fine, only when I make those sharp turns e.g. in the garage, the ugly noise comes from the rear end.
Any help and advice would be appreciated. If anybody would know of a local repair shop, I could turn to would even be better.
Thanks in advance.

John Micciche

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have a 2008 SRT10, which was making a noise similar to what you describe. I did extensive research on the forums and discovered that there is a design flaw in the 2008 which makes it virtually impossible to remove the differential without cutting it out ( and destroying it). I found many positive recommendations for a company in California that is very experienced with this issue. I would strongly advise you to at least talk to Jerry King at Unitrax (2830 Gretta Lane, Anaheim, CA 1 800 622-4327). My issue turned out to be a bad right rear wheel bearing. But I was also very unhappy with the 3.07 stock rear, so I decided to replace the 3.07 ring and pinion with a 3.55 (which I believe is stock in the Gen 5 Vipers). I had several phone conversations with Jerry at Unitrax. I found him to be extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. I had a local mechanic remove the rear, and I boxed it up in one of those black and yellow Home Depot plastic containers and sent it from NY to CA. The shipping wasn't really that expensive. He replaced my 3.07 with a 3.55 that he had removed from a Gen 5. The turn around was fast, and I am very very pleased with the 3.55 rear. I hope this helps you.

Kevin M Melisz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will second, exactly what John said. I wanted the 3.55 gears and I worked with Jerry, he is Super nice and knowledgeable. I pulled my own rear-end (wasn't that bad of a project) and shipped it to California.

I just did this in the spring, so if you have any questions feel free to contact me on my cell phone. 716-713-4261