2010 ACR convertible

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Dodge came out with an ACR option convertible, who'd be interested?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No thanks, takes away the look of the car. Plus I am sure it would have to have a re-engineered wing.

Bruce

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's like asking for a Porsche GT2 in a Vert....it just would not be relevant to the concept...

You must be registered for see images attach

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I traded in my ACR wanna be for an ACR because its just too dangerous to race a convertible on the track.

Last edited:

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive seen too many neck/brain injuries in my rehabilitation training.

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a convertible, than buy one. The ACR was designed for the track, which is no place for a convertible. I am still amazed at how many people own ACRs who never track them. Honestly, for the street, the coupe and vert are better cars.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone is getting all over the person who created the question here. It is not like the ACR has a different engine that is more powerful or anything. Add the wing and splitters on and you are most of the way home.

If anything, the convert is faster than the ACR in a straight line because of the lack of drag from the aero. Testing by members on the site has proved this. For most people who don't track, this would be nothing but an accessory package that looks cool in some minds.

In fact, at moderate speeds, the aero does little to nothing. Only at higher speeds does it add to downforce. The track you race on dictates how much the ACR package will help, if you race at all. Don't assume that the people who order an ACR actually race the car. Other than keyboard bravado, I don't see it that much.

It would be a quick way for Dodge to get 10k to 20k out of people. They should consider it. If you are worried about injuries from a convert at the track (if they allow it at your track at all), then simply don't order that car. Limiting the choices of potential car owners is frankly stupid at this point. They are not selling Vipers and the car is going away because of this. Limiting color choices to potential owners is also a foolish concept. Just because people bought a car 10 years ago with a certain color combination should not preclude the manufacturer from making that car color again.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing that I think a Vert with the aero kit is ugly, I would have to pass as it would probably look the same. I am not against the idea but I just do not think it would work well. Now on the Ferrari 430 Scuderia 16M, that car looks better as a convertible over the regular coupe Scuderia.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be a quick way for Dodge to get 10k to 20k out of people. They should consider it. If you are worried about injuries from a convert at the track (if they allow it at your track at all), then simply don't order that car. Limiting the choices of potential car owners is frankly stupid at this point. They are not selling Vipers and the car is going away because of this. Limiting color choices to potential owners is also a foolish concept. Just because people bought a car 10 years ago with a certain color combination should not preclude the manufacturer from making that car color again.

Just from the limited negative responses to the ACR Vert idea on this threat, suggests that F/Dodge would have to have a strong business case to pursue the idea. I am sure they consider all options if it is marketable. Was there a demand for the vert aero version? Orders suggested not.....

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ACR was made for the track.
The vert was made for crusin the streets.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Are you asking "if an ACR model that is completely SCCA TRACK certified could be designed... should it?"

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The aero is functional at speed at 55 plus. With the different lines of the vert - both top up and top down - there's tons of wind tunnel time that would be required and likely if they got it to work one way - it would be highly unstable and dangerous the other way.

A convertible is simply not a race car and Dodge would be really dumb to build one.

Perhaps an An ACP - American Club Poser - in which the aero was zeroed out - but still looked cool?

This car is track ready - and it needs to stay a coupe.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only if it had Traction Control,ABS,Stability control and Climate control...........

OH DAM IT !!!!!!!! forgot about the cupholders and white hood vents....LOL!!!!!!!!

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Herb already asked this question about 6 months ago in the Grail Trail section.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR was made for the track.
The vert was made for crusin the streets.

A convertible is simply not a race car and Dodge would be really dumb to build one..

The ACR was designed for the track, which is no place for a convertible...

You guys must be joking......

:D

Look..... just like an F-1 car! No roof.

Other open cars that should not be on the track then...:dunno:

You must be registered for see images

Wait... your right.... the track is no place for an open car..... :rolleyes:

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those cars have about a 12-18" clearance behind and above the top of the helmet so that if you did roll, the driver's head would not contact the ground. Now look at the helmet on your viper and the roll bar behind you that is below that height...At the very least you'd have severe cervical strain if not a cervical spine fracture or a bad concussion...

Last edited:

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, nice try looking brilliant Newport, but your american sports car convertible is FAR from an F1 car! :rolleyes:

Those convertibles are not allowed at most tracks for a reason and you know why. Dodge created the ACR so the track enthusiasts would have what they consider the perfect car for it. Making a convertible would not follow in those lines at all. What a stupid argument this whole thread has become. And that is not directed at the OP who had every right to ask the question.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperDoug,

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but there may be some possibility on an ACR convert. See my findings below:

Rules on Converts at some Major Tracks

New Jersey Motor Sports Park – convert allowed w/ roll bar
http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/pdf/NJMP2008FacilityRules.pdf

Pocono Raceway – same requirement

VIR – no explicit statement that they are not allowed. See photos
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.porschebooks.org/thumbs/Untitled-10.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.porschebooks.org/gallery1.html&usg=__8R9lqpKZ3OWF0Vq5TNo0pi7OT64=&h=234&w=298&sz=17&hl=en&start=515&um=1&tbnid=7XmJWWMCdyRxBM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvirginia%2Binternational%2Bspeedway%2Bphoto%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGIH_enUS267US267%26sa%3DN%26start%3D504%26um%3D1

Watkins Glen – same requirement
http://www.empirestateregion.com/clubevents.htm

Here is someone doing it on their own: (ACR conversion)
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/629837-acr-wanna-upgrades.html

Or this individual looking for a roll bar on the Vert for just this reason: (Post 19)
http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/629698-what-features-options-should-next-gen-viper-have.html

Rollover protection (Post 10 and Post 28)
http://forums.viperclub.org/grail-trail/618316-future-snakes.html

Or the Aero Package that has ½ of the downforce of the ACR, designed by Dodge:
http://forums.viperclub.org/new-owner-questions/628581-aero-package.html

Seeing the above, I think it is actually MORE dangerous that there is no roll bar on the Vert Aero package, but yet they produce it.

There is a market for it, I am convinced. Tracks will allow it if the bar is put in properly. Heck…..ACR’s had factory belts good enough for racing requirements, why not a roll bar? Add it into the cost. Not a big engineering deal. If the SRT Engineers can’t handle it, then there is no money to spend on any design whatsoever on the car. Lets just change colors every year and be done with it.

PS….all the drawings done for the next version of the car were Verts, so there is no reason to water the breed down by not having an ACR convert. Ralph is the man in charge now……(see below)
http://forums.viperclub.org/vca-members-only/618295-special-treat-ralph-gilles-voi-presentation-part.html

I understand the point of having the ACR a coupe only car. Having more options, not less, might be better for the different tastes of the drivers here, as well as for Dodge.