2010 Coupe That Wasn't Meant To Be

Legalfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in December 2009, knowing that the lease on my 2008 coupe was up in June 2010, and also knowing that 2010 would be the last year for the current gen Viper, I ordered another coupe - Very Viper Orange/White Stripes/Napa Tan Leather/Nav. Well, it finally arrived at the dealer last Saturday. I went and looked at it the next day, Sunday, only to find myself very disappointed. Body panels very much misaligned, burn marks in the paint from the buffer, thin paint to the point you can see the primer through the paint and, generally, the car was just a mess. I refused the vehicle and the dealer is sending it back to Chrysler. Chrysler came out and inspected the car and, as I understand it, said that it should never have left the factory looking like that. Of course, I have received no word from Chrysler apologizing that the car I waited 6 months for showed up in that condition. Simply unacceptable, not only for a car with an MSRP of $104k, but for any car, no matter the price. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have bought my '08 off the lease. My Viper days are done.......

PK3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Legal, That is really disappointing about your car. I believe it was # 183 and I saw it at the plant waiting to be shipped 6/14/10. The only orange w/white car I saw the several times I have been at the plant and Prefix. It was in the shipping area and I didn't spend a lot of time looking so I didn't notice the problems with the paint. It looked stunning when I saw it tho and I took 6 or 7 pictures of it, which I can send you. I believe it can be totally repaneled as the panels come painted from the vender. Sometimes the dealers machine polish/buff these cars out when they get them and ya better know what your doing or ya burn right thu the already thin paint. These cars are also inspected many times and at Prefix after striping they are parked in a drive thru floor to ceiling light booth for final inspection.

I thought your car was beautiful and the white stripes look better then the 08, 09 orange w/white stripe cars. Very rare 2010 color combo and one of my all time favorite cars.

Good luck and goosh what a drag.
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 111

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through the same thing with a 2008 coupe..QC has been lacking at Conner for a few years now....Look at my 09 Graphite.ACR in the classifieds..Kevin

OP
OP
L

Legalfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PK3: Yes, indeed it is #183. Thanks for the photos. Take a look at the deck panel in those photos and see how much it is off. The dealer didn't do anything with the car except to have the delivery driver roll it into a service bay and then close the roll-up behind it until I could get there. You are correct about the color combo - really nice. My '08 was also VVO with white stripes and black interior and nav (and H wheels). Really unfortunate for me. I guess I am miffed that Chrysler didn't even bother to contact me about the issues once they learned of them. Maybe I am being too sensitive, but after waiting that long, I guess I have a right to be. Anyway, thanks very much for the photos.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for that kind of coin you should be getting exactly what you want...Unfortunetly in those pics the car looks awesome and I have a hard time seeing wghat was so wrong???

Looks like maybe the trunk was a 1/8 inch off...Wish you had pics of the bad paint areas

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine that, another paint issue Viper. Add this to all the other previous posts about paint issues on the 09s. Guess I better not go on though as it will be deleted again. Have to be PC and not state the facts. Sorry to hear this.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Imagine that, another paint issue Viper. Add this to all the other previous posts about paint issues on the 09s. Guess I better not go on though as it will be deleted again. Have to be PC and not state the facts. Sorry to hear this.

Paint and other issues related to our vipers should never be deleted. We should always know both the good and bad things. Without disclosure, things usually do not get better. We have enough hiding with our government.

Rev

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made sure my dealer didn't touch my '09 car when it came off the truck... When I originally got my GTS way back in '97, there were a number of burn marks on it that drove me crazy. They told me that the guy who was prepping the car (even though I told them to do no dealer prep) stayed too long in one spot with the buffer and it burned right through. They ended up re-spraying the car and did a great job, but I learned my lesson... It's sad when these things happen because we wait patiently for these cars, and when they're not perfect, it's a real let down.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone take a picture if possible on what a "burn mark" looks like? I am curious. A burn mark would just be in the clear coat though, right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte