2010 Viper-Your thoughts?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the recent good news of keeping production going for the Viper, what differences over the 09 do you think will happen? I doubt more HP or styling changes but maybe a goal at less weight and probably some different colors.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
colors and variations is all I see happening. I can't imagine a full styling change unless Ralph was running the show himself. Remember the car is only contracted to last till 2012 right now, unless if was long term I could see a real change. That's why the 300 and Charger are getting a total makeover for 2010.

--RS

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Color changes / additions likely.

Maybe wheels.

Doubt there'll be anything else.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As much as I am going to be lambasted for saying this, it SEVERELY needs an Audio System overhaul, which will help the look of the dash immensely. I for one and sick of the outdated-the-minute-the-SRT-went-on-sale radio system, and all of the nonsense required to do anything remotely useful with it. The MyGig needs to be added to the car NOW, it will do wonders with how people view the car... a modern touch screen factory radio like that looks MUCH more appealing.

To say I am burning the candle at both ends to try and make this happen... is an understatement.

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't see any different options other than colors/wheels, if any at all. Just hope the Viper holds out 'til 2013 to see a change in styling cues, and 2016 for the coupe. Jeez, seems so far away!!

bglmn92

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As much as I am going to be lambasted for saying this, it SEVERELY needs an Audio System overhaul, which will help the look of the dash immensely. I for one and sick of the outdated-the-minute-the-SRT-went-on-sale radio system, and all of the nonsense required to do anything remotely useful with it. The MyGig needs to be added to the car NOW, it will do wonders with how people view the car... a modern touch screen factory radio like that looks MUCH more appealing.

To say I am burning the candle at both ends to try and make this happen... is an understatement.

:2tu: Absolutely! You're definitely not alone in
feeling that way. (BTW: Add me to your list.)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember back in the GenII days and the complaints about the stereo. I said then and I'll say it again, Dodge should just leave the wires and let people plug in their own aftermarket system. It wouldn't hurt sales one single bit. In fact, it would be a great move back towards the original image.

Gawd, my stereo hasn't worked for years, which equates to about 70,000 stereo-less miles. No offense Dan but I still can't believe folks buy a car like this and give a hoot about the factory stereo.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loose 200 pounds, CF brakes and and offer a stunning interior like this 430 scud...

[media]http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2008/2008-Ferrari-430-Scuderia-Interior-1280x960.jpg[/media]

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember back in the GenII days and the complaints about the stereo. I said then and I'll say it again, Dodge should just leave the wires and let people plug in their own aftermarket system. It wouldn't hurt sales one single bit. In fact, it would be a great move back towards the original image.

Gawd, my stereo hasn't worked for years, which equates to about 70,000 stereo-less miles. No offense Dan but I still can't believe folks buy a car like this and give a hoot about the factory stereo.

Seriously. I've done those trips from NC to FL with the stereo off the entire time, and yet somehow I still made it! That being said, it would be nice for it to have an easy plug-in for an iphone/ipod, since that's a basic feature on even ****boxes.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the car is only contracted to last till 2012 right now, unless if was long term I could see a real change.
Actually, I don't think there is a single published source that says this (2012). When I posted that the car should be good for a minimum of a couple more years, it was exactly that - a minimum. I am confident that the recent announcement was not a "bandaid" fix but a full-blown commitment to the platform for the foreseeable future. With as much hoopla as was given to the announcement it would seem only logical to continue to develop the Viper for the future.

That said, realize that supposedly-substantiated speculation on drastic changes in future generations only hurts current sales. Some folks like to say that they heard from a reliable source that XYZ is going to happen, which then has the very real potential to stall sales for the current car in such a very small market like the Viper. "Gee, if it is going to have rocket boosters and a 24" touch-screen DVD/stereo then I am going to just wait to buy." While that show of commitment from Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat was very strong, if current sales/interest plummet then all bets are off.

Personally, the only reason I would wait to buy a 2010 is if you like your model years to end in even numbers. Who knows, maybe they will have a price increase just to show how much they value the car now. :D Get 'em while they are hot!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that a re-design/re-tooling is both cost inefficient and would impact current sales.

I can only see them doing what is a bolt on change - wheels, radio, seat design and of course colors.

To re-tool at this point, with only a short-term commitment from Chrysler/Fiat would be foolish.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without knowing what is happening with fuel economy standards, safety regulations, and the economy, the mere fact that there is a committment for even a couple of years is pretty incredible. Adding any substantial changes to the lineup would be pure crazy in these times. Wheels and colors to distinguish from the prior years would be the maximum change I see.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that Dodge will continue making the Viper as long as they can make a business case for it.

They will build it only if a market is available to sell the production.

Every Viper ordered is another heartbeat (sorry Chevy) for our beloved Viper line.

Keep the orders coming in and they will continue to make them.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A light weight carbon fiber version would be sweet. I'm sure the wight on the "********" could be down to 3100-3200lbs.

Also...that turbo V10 in the Bat Cave should come out and feast on some hot Euro supercars. ;)

Last edited:

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carbon fiber and Ferrari interiors are not gonna happen. I think this thread was intended as a "what changes can we expect" thread, not a wish list.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think viper specialty was talking more about the look of hte stereo than the actual function of the stereo. The viper has the most outdated stereo in the dodge line-up. If they just put the stereo from the challenger in the viper it would help with the look so much. A new stereo doesn't need new features (maybe mygig if your into that sorta thing), doesn't have to be luxurious it just needs to look decent. The dash of the interior looks way outdated, a simple fix like changing the stereo would solve that problem.

It would be cool if they did weight reduction but i doubt that. The only thing I would expect would be new colors and wheels. Maybe if they had a new Final Edition they would increase the performance.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the changes you guys suggest sound god to me. But they all cost $$$. The reason the Viper is still under $100K is that it's built on the cheap. That radio everyone hates, is straight out of the Voyager minivan! That's no BS either. That beautiful Italian leather interior in the Ferrari alone would add $10K minimum to the MSRP of a Viper. Go check that option on the ZR1, it's $10K.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing that takes a lot of R&D, manufacturing, engineering, tooling, or costs ANY significant money will happen. Maybe they could swap a radio from the Challenger into the beast, if it was plug and play anyway. But I wouldn't expect much more.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loose 200 pounds, CF brakes and and offer a stunning interior like this 430 scud...

[media]http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2008/2008-Ferrari-430-Scuderia-Interior-1280x960.jpg[/media]

I like that interior. I don't know if it's leather or what it cost but it looks like a race car and a race car interior doesn't need to look expensive. Love the diamond plate floorboards.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang