3 Vipers going at Barrett Jackson Auction this year.

OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how many resto mods are coming across with the Viper motor in it. People just love that engine even if they don't like the cars. And you're right, they seem to bring big bucks. Imagine what they will be worth when they are 30 to 40 years old.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm absolutely amazed at the prices these cars are receiving. $160k for a friggin rustang 350 shelby? $125k for a 57 2dr. Chev Conv "Fuelie"? Hell, more "fuelies" today then ever factory produced due to lack of records and easy availability of fuelie add-ons. $75-125K for GTO's, Chevelles, etc. $50-60K for an Edsel Pacer? Huh? $70k for 69 Camero? 57 T-birds for $100k that I could literally outrun due to no power? Phony Build sheets, Phony Documentation. Phony Protecto plates. Matching numbers, yeah right. Welcome to the new world of reproduction, cloning, replicating, etc where a non-original restored car is commanding twice what an original non-restored is worth. Hello, Is anyone home?

Show me a car at Barrett's that is 10 years old or older that looks as nice and/or has equal performance to a 10 year old 96 B/W Viper? There aint none. All this means is that this buying frenzy will soon catch up with the Gen 1 & 2 Vipers. Depreciating Gen 1 & 2's are a thing of the past. Thank God for you guys that like old cars :confused: , old women :confused: (and small *******). :eek:

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,
I couldn't agree with you more. I considered going to this for the first time but was unable to get away. I have been looking for a '66/'67 GTO for some time (my first new car as a youngster). As I watched on TV I saw a '67 coupe go for $64K and a '66 vert go for a similar price. A GTO Judge went for $185K!! Reminds me of the tech bubble in the stock market. It would have been fun to see all of these cars but I know I would not have been a buyer at those prices.

Bob K

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WHAT A GREAT BUSINESS
You pay for admission
Buyer pays a commission
Seller pays a commission
You have to pay to bid
I assume they get fees for television rights
Vendors pay fees to sell their products
About the only thing free is going to the head

Exactly, he's making money hand over fist on these and they're getting bigger and more popular. The 16% number of 61M+ is a sizeable chunk of change, not to mention the other fees etc. He definitely has a good thing going, the auction grew about 80% larger than last year.

--wes

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's even cooler is cars that have viper motors usally sell over $500,000.

***? :confused:

I think that people justify the high price on the "mechanical skill" of fitting the V-10 and transmission into other vehicles. There is some truth to the skill needed but nowhere near justifies prices. :buttkick:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
What's even cooler is cars that have viper motors usally sell over $500,000.

***? :confused:

I think that people justify the high price on the "mechanical skill" of fitting the V-10 and transmission into other vehicles. There is some truth to the skill needed but nowhere near justifies prices. :buttkick:

Cars don't sell for over $500K because they have a VIPER engine in them!
You must be registered for see images
Get a clue!

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well scottgf, quit peeping. Who is that bald dude that gave $1,150,000 for that 1970 LS6 Chevelle?????????????
Who has that kind of spendable cash that he's been throwing around?

GTSREDDOG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But the yellow six shooter cuda with ALL viper running gear,motor,tranny,suspension,dash and interior only went for $170,000 I would have loved to been able to afford that bad boy!!!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i too keep watching the prices that all these cars are going for.

are the prices we pay for vipers alot? yes. and $50,000 for a viper GTS IS alot of money. but $100,000 for a t-bird? no way. give me (2) viper GTS's instead.

at $50,000+/-, what a great deal our vipers are compared to some of these B-J cars!

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, Big. Our cars are BARGAINS compared to most of the ones crossing the block.
I wonder, how long before the market catches up with the Viper taking the enthusiast out of the drivers seat and replacing him/her with greedy(crazy) auction trolls. The '92s can't be too far off, watch for those in a couple of yrs.
Vette after Vette after Vette too, making me a bit ill. There seems to be more 'vettes than anything else. :crazy:
Did anyone see what that Hemi conv. 'cuda went for last night?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prices are indeed outrageous. Perhaps a function of demographics...the heart of the baby boom are in their 50's....many many of them successful with net worth over 30 million.

Looking lustily at muscle cars when they were pre-teens, these folks can now afford to buy the best examples of their childhood memories.....and the prices go up as far as the money supply allows it to go.

I'm in my 40's and recall going to shows with my Dad where the Model T's and the pre-depression cars of the 1920's were commanding monster bucks. Why? Because these were the cars that the guys who were 50+ years old in the 1960's wanted when they were kids.

If you exclude rods, you see very few cars from the 1920's at B-J today. There's no market for 'em. The folks who want 'em are in retirement homes or looking up at 6 feet of dirt!

I wonder what some of the $200K muscle cars will be going for in 15 years.....when the current owners try to sell them to the then-wealthy Gen X and Y folks who grew up lusting for ricers or, worse yet, hybrid vehicles!

Morale: Stick with Vipers, they don't cost $200 K and they're a blast to take down the interstate! :cool:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's allways an exception.
There are other auctions, even the same weekend, in the same state! I couldn't belive it my self...but here it is:

"Also at RM Auction's one-day event at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Al Capone's 1928 Cadillac Town Sedan sold for $621,500, while Hank Williams Jr.'s 1964 Silver Dollar Pontiac convertible was auctioned for $214,500 and a 1934 Packard Twelve Runabout Speedster sold for $3.2 million."

3.2, that beats the 3.0 for the GM concept at last years' B-J. I'm sure Craig Jackson is fuming about it!!!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
There's allways an exception.
There are other auctions, even the same weekend, in the same state! I couldn't belive it my self...but here it is:

"Also at RM Auction's one-day event at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Al Capone's 1928 Cadillac Town Sedan sold for $621,500, while Hank Williams Jr.'s 1964 Silver Dollar Pontiac convertible was auctioned for $214,500 and a 1934 Packard Twelve Runabout Speedster sold for $3.2 million."

3.2, that beats the 3.0 for the GM concept at last years' B-J. I'm sure Craig Jackson is fuming about it!!!

I don't think Craig is fuming about it...he sold a GM bus for $4,000,000! :smirk:

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at B-J yesterday i saw a shelby GT-350 eleanor type clone with the wider, deeper dish rear wheels put on the front and the narrower front wheels on the back. UNBELIEVABLE!!! :bonker:

talked with owner of the original gt-500 that sold for 180k today and he said that he walked away from his car for 5 minutes to take a leak and somebody stole the chrome rings around his door lock latches. :curse:

but by far the worst thing i saw was john [******] peddling his wares outside the tent. what a joke that was :buttkick:

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed the B/W 96 GTS and the RT 10 going through. Does anyone know what they went for?

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they sold. Both the GTS and RT 10 were reserve items. The auction was a no reserve auction. Niether are listed as sold and I didn't see them during the auction.

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My wife and I were watching the auction and it was insane.
all I thought was my viper would barely even pay the sales commission on alot of the cars sold.I still think the Viper
is one heck of a performance package for the price.I think that one guy that payed over 400,000 for a 68 428 cj mustang was nuts-------------------

OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! glad to see my post getting good attention. The reason I posted this was 1. I love the auction, but 2. because if you look at the cars selling big today and compare them with our cars it tells us that ours should be worth mega bucks in the future. I was amazed at seeing car after car that would go across at 20 to 50 times the original selling price. That would be about 1.8 to 2.4 million for our cars. And the fact is that most of these cars were produced in numbers 2 to 100 times more than ours.

So what did I learn? Well, 1. Take good care of my car. I'll still drive it, but treat it with great respect. And 2. if I ever buy a car from BJ it will be on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. :smirk:

Here's a link to the results http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/bj06results.asp

and a link to the auctions http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/allcars2.asp

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were there & it was a BLAST!, Thanks to the Arizona club for the excellent lunch.

What I dont understand is a shelby mustang went for 450k then a REAL 427 COBRA stalled at 390??? Or a fake camaro or gt 350 going for 450k yet a real ford gt40 w 5k mile survivor going for 350k+- ??? The cars provenance means nada? or these guys just dont care about race cars?

A real sox & martin 68 SS hemi cuda went for under 200k , yeat a clone fetches just as much?????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang