375 wrhp.......WTH????????

tmr4479

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I took the car to a dyno today, and I'm sad to say I only have 375hp. The car is a 98 gts with 11,000 miles. Belanger headers fi-flow cats and belanger cat back. I also have smooth tubes and K&N's. I can't figure out how to post a pic on here but if you wanna see the chart just email me at [email protected]. any ideas what I should check? I figured I would make about 420hp, Guess I was way off.

OP
OP
T

tmr4479

Enthusiast
Reaction score
then I guess i need to find another one to try, I just hope there isnt something wrong

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,the Dyno might be off.
But consider this check list:
1. Bad plugs
2. Bad plug wires
3. Dirty air filter
4. Throttle body is not opening 100%
5. Throttle body position sensor trouble
6. Oxygen sensor trouble
7. Oil in intake
8. Fuel quality issue

What was your AFR during the run ?

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
with those mods you should be right where i am at 425-435ish HP and 470-480HP

Dynos are not for seeing how much HP you have as they are all a bit different, they are more for baseline and gains for the mods you put on.(*although we all know we use them for bragging rights!!)

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be many reason why.
Try another dyno, and then if it's still that low. Get in touch with a reputable tuner and get your GTS looked at.

No doubt those numbers are VERY low, especially with a Silver GTS!

viperkraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd start by making sure that your floor mat is not stopping your pedal from going to the floor. Then make sure the TB's are opening all the way.

OP
OP
T

tmr4479

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah it was a mustang dyno, a mobil one. Im off again tomorrow so Ill try to find another one to go run on, the k&n's are brand new, the o2's are the factory ones that came on the car. Ill check the tb's in the morning. I was also able to run the 1/4 on the dyno I ran a 12.36@117. i just hope nothing big is wrong. and I have the dyno sheet someone tell me how to post it and I will

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen some unreliable dyno numbers from a mobile units. At Carlisle some cars were doing silly/stupid numbers...

I would recommend a shop with good reputation.

E-mail me the dynosheet, I'll post it.

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..Assuming you checked all the mechanical settings to be ok, as mentioned in the above posts...then the question is,

Do you have the factory diff. gears?

Are you in 4th Gear?

If all checks out then you should be at 430 rwhp.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not worry about it, take it to a dyno jet or a mustang that has the latest software updates.

What about your plugs? How old?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's most likely the dyno, but if you get poor numbers again, the dyno is a good tool to clue you in on otherwise hidden problems like bad plugs/wires, or the throttle cables not pulling the throttles open all the way (as mentioned above).

What were your torque numbers?

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3114Dyno1.jpg

OP
OP
T

tmr4479

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the plugs are the stock ones that came with the car 11,000 miles should i change them?

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same mods 442@ 470rwtq. and just for your info after all else check your TPS. That same thing happed to me my TPS had to be changed it should only take about 30min of your time to change.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes me wonder about mine as well, my 01 with no cats, no muffler and 3" pipe all the way out and smooth tubes/filters only made 394hp/434tq and 385hp/428tq the last two times on the dyno.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the plugs are the stock ones that came with the car 11,000 miles should i change them?

I would, the factory plugs are so cheap I change them every 3k.

Looking at the dyno print out there is no cf, what was the weather like? Does your car have any oil burning/smoke/coolant loss/etc....

Take it to a dyno jet, and then at least you will know if there is really something to worry about before you start to try to fix things that may not be broken.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes me wonder about mine as well, my 01 with no cats, no muffler and 3" pipe all the way out and smooth tubes/filters only made 394hp/434tq and 385hp/428tq the last two times on the dyno.

Thats a bit low for an 01 but not much, could be a conservative dyno.

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn and to think my 01 Supercharged Trans Am that i had put down 466rwhp 458 rwtq on a Mustang dyno on a 95 degree day after driving for 3 hours.

Kickin myself for selling it lol.

Oh well i'll have my Viper soon. :)

OP
OP
T

tmr4479

Enthusiast
Reaction score
grrrrrrrrr my ses light came on today, so i used my scan tool and its something to do with cam sensors Guess I need to that too when I do plugs and wires. damn and I thought a boat was bad

OP
OP
T

tmr4479

Enthusiast
Reaction score
went back to the dyno last night, with new plugs and wires i put down 441.9 and 488.5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96