$4,000 in work? Really?

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a friend who was so swooned by his experience driving my '97 GTS that he's elected to take the plunge himself and buy an RT/10 (he prefers the convertable). He found what appeared to be a decent car on paper (emphasis on the on-paper part) and purchased a pre purchase inspection on it. The car in question is a one-owner 2000 RT with 14,000 miles. Well according to the "Viper Tech" at Foss Motors in NH, the car has an oil leak and needs a new oil cooler and oil cooler lines as well as whole new clutch assembly. The parts and labor for these items was quoted at $3,800. I mentioned that the VCA board members know a ton about these cars and I'd be willing to put up a post with the details of his predicament on the board. Any insights would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Johnny

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A new oil cooler AND lines? All three items are leaking oil? That sounds questionable.

A new clutch for a one-owner 14,000 mile car? Possible of course but if it needed a new clutch he should be able to tell by driving it.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your friend likely to do the work himself or pay a garage to do the work?

Are you looking for Brand new parts or good second hand ones (oil lines and cooler)

King Snake on these Forums is currently breaking a GTS with parts that will fit the RT.

Where are you located? If in the NY area take the car to Tator's Garage. Chuck Tator will sort it out and not rip your friend off.
You could contact many of the Vendors on this site for parts and the VCA has its own parts store 'Viper Parts America' You could pick up a stock replacement clutch there.

If You want to go for other clutches, Bad Boyz Garage were doing some big upgrades :)

Check out the Vendor reviews.

Also you could check out Partsrack for many new and used Viper parts :)

Sounds like a lot of money your friend is being asked to pay. I would NOT put the car into that garage until you have a clear idea of exactly whats needed. Most garages see a Viper and think $$$$$$ Be careful. Also contact your local area VCA Branch. I'm sure they could give you the name of a reputable Garage they trust.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have PM'd him all that information. The only thing I have of use are the oil cooler lines and someone offered a free set on here so thats covered. The oem clutch I have is going with the motor.

OP
OP
J

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the helpful responses. To answer some of the questions above, Fatboy_18, my friend will very likely be paying someone todo the work for him and in terms of his preference between brand new or good second hand parts, and lastly, he is located in Ontario Canada (while the car is in New Hampshire). Perhaps taking the car to Tator's on the drive home might not be a bad idea (assuming the car gets bought). RedSled, I appreciate the offer of the fuel lines; are they new? Thanks for all of the input and assistance

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is way dumb. probably needs the lines, not the cooler. What would be wrong with the clutch so early in miles? -idiot driver maybe, or drag racing on a regular basis, .................or a hydraulic problem because of the age of the car, and original fluid maybe.......It doesn't cost that much to fix those issues though.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator first before doing anything: 914-763-3136. Chuck is in South Salem, NY but worth the drive. Let him inspect it and tell you what needs to be done. Might as well have Chuck go over the Viper while it's there. Chuck can also source the parts too. I'm not sure if he's back from VOI today or not but give him a call and leave a message.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the very first Bad Boyzz Garage Gen I/II clutch/flywheel kit installed in my Gen II ACR and its a very nice upgrade. My original clutch went 75k miles (I'm at 87k now).

I believe Bad Boyzz Garage price is $1095, but check with Toddy to be sure. While I was in there, I had the rear main seal done, new slave cylinder and throwout bearing installed. (plus a new oil pan gasket) and it was way less than the price quoted to you.

Regards,
Aaron

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car is driveable, i can take it to Tators for you. I have a car there that I need to pick up, and another I need to drop off soon, so if it helps i live in Beverly MA, and am in NH on the weekends at my cottage. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks
Martin
978 979 8967

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, all that with a 14,000 mile car??? ANY car with 14,000 miles is still basically brand new even if it's 10 years old, I know somethings will dry-rot but that's usually exterior door/window seals ext. I don't know who your friend bought his car from but sometimes a 1 owner car is not such a great thing because lets face it, the guy could've had 100,000 miles on it and as long as it hasn't been to a dealership or anywhere else where miles are reported he can reverse the miles to almost anything he wants...dunno...that *****....

OP
OP
J

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, I want to thank everyone for their input and assistance - I'm always amazed at the good will evident on this board. As per your instructions, I called the man, Chuck Tator, and he indicated to me that the diagnosis seemed a tad confusing given the lack of oil accumulation (apparently leaks in the oil cooler lines, given they're under pressure, would leave a decent amount of oil) and the idea of clutch going at 14,000 seemed a tad premature. I'm wondering if there is anyone in the New Hampshire area who could take a look at the car? The car is located in Epping NH.

Martin2000GTS, that's an incredibly kind offer but the current owner indicated his discomfort with the idea. Thank you very much though.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '98 GTS used from a dealer with only 9K on it.
Within a year had to have the tranny rebuilt, new flywheel and parts as well as the timing chain cover leak fixed.
Chuck T did all the work.
The point is as stout as these cars are if its abused or driven poorly you can run up some big repair bills regardless of mileage.

OP
OP
J

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to thank everyone for chiming in and sharing their insights - it's reassuring to have a group of experienced owners and vendors like yourselves offering your assistance and sharing your experiences. I wanted to let you know that my friend and I elected to walk away from the car after chatting with someone who saw it in person. Thanks to Chuck Tator and NE VCA president Joe Mori for spending the time to talk with us about this Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21