4 minute GTS engine removal.

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a 97 GTS last month with a blown engine and filmed the removal and tear down to the short block. Its at the machine shop now. I hope to have better camera angles to the install when the engine comes back. I hope you all enjoy. It takes a minute to load the flash video so be a bit patient.

4 minute engine removal.

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now how about a 2 minute 'Get rid of those ugly rims' video.:D:omg:

kidding.... thats pretty cool.

Man your not kidding. They definately do not fit my redneck style. They were on the car when I bought it. They are Asanti wheels that I need to further identify. I have looked at the pics on Asanti's website and it looks like they run about $1200 each new. I need to get them sold and replaced with either stockers or some CCW's.

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH NO!!!!!! Benny Hill AND the girls for the install. That would be way, way too much. If I could just get rid of the wife for the weekend, hmmmmm....... :headbang:

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering at what time interval each frame was shot, and also, how long did all that work actually take? Also, I noticed the car went up and down several times, did the tech. make procedure mistakes or does it actually require takeing the car up and down that many times inorder to remove the engine?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty cool video. Definitely need the Benny Hill music on the install. You also need the little bald man to slap on the head and some girls to chase around the car a few times.

I recall speaking to you the evening before you were going to pick up the car. Have they determined what was wrong yet? Any enhancements planned as part of the rebuild?

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty cool video. Definitely need the Benny Hill music on the install. You also need the little bald man to slap on the head and some girls to chase around the car a few times.

I recall speaking to you the evening before you were going to pick up the car. Have they determined what was wrong yet? Any enhancements planned as part of the rebuild?

Hello John. Thanks for your time again. I really appreciate the info you were able to give to a cold calling stranger. :)

The damage is only two spun rod bearings. My plan is to take 10 thou off of the crank journals and replace the two rods. That along with new rings and the standard engine teardown replacement parts. No mods for this motor. This car will be kept stock performance wise. I didn't know it when I was doing it, but the more I modified the Supra, the less I drove it. The Viper will be enjoyed every sunny day and stay nice and cozy in the garage every rainy day.

Now if I can just get someone to buy or trade me those wheels. :dunno:

The video was 4.5 hours long, including looking for tools and fooling around(the reason for the car being up and down so much). Very little was pulled from the edited video. It was then sped up 64x, so I'm not sure how many frames were pulled. I let the software do its job and it came out pretty good.

For the assembly and re-install, I will have more and better camera views and possibly a head cam. The video has had pretty good response, so a better job should be done next time.

Thanks all.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:DWhile watching the video of the 4 minute engine pull and tear down I have decided that you are better than Viper Specialty,Tators,Woodhouse and DC combined......... When can I schedule an appointment for a tear down,mods and rebuild. Will 15 minutes be enough?:drive:GTS Bruce

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice vid, thanks for posting it.

I don't think those wheels would look bad at all if powder coated flat black or anodized black. Give them a mean, no frills look.

George

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that :2tu: Really enjoyed the music too, LOVED THE 409 TRACK :) Was that by the beach Boys too? Ive not heard that before?

Mark
:uk:

Beach Boys-
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LGehTS2Wnc[/media]

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the video, Sccuope!

You might cut a whole minute off with the manual? :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang