500 mile road trip..NEVER AGAIN!!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, Dave, Dave, We've got an RT/10(a little smaller inside)and I have some previous back problems. We routinely drive that far. A lot of times on nothing but 2 lane roads. As a matter of fact--we're leaving in a half hour for a club event that is a 300 mile ride from here. We have no complaints on driving the car any distance. Nashville will be an 800 mile run.

Oh yeah I'm 50--my wife's 54

Sorry Dave---couldn't resist

Steve

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gheez, I've taken my Viper on a 1,000 mile round trip road trip and no problems what-so-ever. Just took it on a 270 mile roundtrip on Saturday too. The only problem I have is trying to remove the grin off my face. Especially when I blip to WOT with my exhaust mods!!! Maybe you are just getting old. If you had taken that chick up on her offer maybe you back wouldn't have hurt so much.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
500 miles??? That's a lunch. I'm 42 and beat to hell and I've driven from Tampa to Wisconson, Virginia, Texas, St Louis.

The A/C will cut off when you accelerate.

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, sell it and buy a Lincoln Town car !! Seems your not cut out for the Snake........

John / 2000 RT...Driven 3hrs to the beach every weekend !!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DKM:
The AC worked pretty good for the part. Although I was a little baffeled with the 30 seconds of cold air followed by the 10 seconds of 1000 degree heat!! and back to ice cold air. Anyone want to explain this to me??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A/C cuts out at WOT...kind of a HP thing...So it would appear that you can't keep your foot out of it for more than 30 seconds...And I would have to say that passing on the BJ is rather Un-American...I round trip it between Houston and Minnesota at least once a year and love it...

DON'T SELL THE CAR...my daily driver is a Cadillac, it is very comfy and has some power lumbar thingy's for your back...I'll trade ya!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Power Lumbar? WOW....imagine the technology involved in that! The poor Dodge has to make due with a manual sphygmomanometer bulb. You did know that it has one, didn't you DKM?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
DKM - No one ever accused me of being a nice guy, but I'll try something new here. I'll give you my Impala SS (which is incredible comfortable) plus $12k for the LPE upgrade (which gives you 400hp) for that POS GTS. Since you can't drive it then its worthless to you right?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snake Bitten:
And I would have to say that passing on the BJ is rather Un-American...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At first thought maybe, but she wanted to drive the Viper...It could've been a $70K BJ. Now, if she had really large...

Bonk, you're a saint.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DKM:
Would my size have anything to do with me being a PANSY??? 6'1 230...maybe??maybe??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 6' and 265lbs. But eveyone tells me I carry it well
laugh.gif

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
Don't listen to the Bonker, I'll give you my wife's mini van and I'll install a Barkolounger for the drivers seat, and we can call it an even trade for your back breaking GTS. I think you have to do this trade as it will be better than having all that Back/spine surgery your surely in for if you keep that horrible car.
supergrin.gif

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove to the last VOI 6, from NY to St. Louis and had a great time. The only reasons I won't do it again is to pack on so much mileage, and becasue after an event, if anything is wrong with the car I like the idea of throwing it on a trailer and driving it home. But the ride in the car was fine for me.....

I agree......sell the car and get a town car, or better yet.....lower your standards more and get a Vette.

JRB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave,
Maybe you are just too young to appreciate the better things in life. I am 53 - my wife and I drove 1500 miles toget my RT/10 home and I have a baaad back. No problems. Learn to be one with your car and your troubles will go away!

Good Luck - Jim

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
"it seems you can't keep your foot out of it for more than 30 seconds"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I like that one.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...looks like I'm a freakin' pansy then. Plain and simple.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
Good sense of humor Dave.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from a 1,600 mile weekend trip from Atlanta to State College, PA to see Penn State win a close one. Car was a dream, only leaked a little bit in the 10 hours of rain I drove through up and back. My buddy said, don't bring the Viper, drive the Jeep. NOT!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess I should get some spine-replacement surgery after the ~2k roundtrip between Raleigh-Durham and Naples
sarcblink.gif

Try adjusting the seat Dave
smile.gif

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">At the risk of sounding like a wimp, I installed a Snake Oyl cruise control after a solo straight run from Vermont to Indy. Loved it except for the stiff right knee. After the install drove solo from Indy to NYC and back the next day with nothing but grins.... and a stone chipped windshield.</FONT f>

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
You're killin' me.
laugh.gif

*I get in my car and she screams out, "can I drive your car??" and as I say NO, she says to me, "I'll give you a blo&%ob!!"

Although she was cute trailer trash...I was in a hurry to get back to Vegas.

*Would my size have anything to do with me being a PANSY??? 6'1 230...maybe??maybe??

*LOL...looks like I'm a freakin' pansy then. Plain and simple.

<FONT COLOR="Pink">Are you trying to tell us something???</FONT c>
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT COLOR="Blue">Dave, thanks for the laugh. Keep driving the car. The back thing is a minor trade off compared to the rewards (if you'll accept them).</FONT c>
laugh.gif

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiepilot:
I'll give you my wife's mini van and I'll install a Barkolounger for the drivers seat<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tie! Quite cockblocking man, you already have a viper!!!

My favorite:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by DKM:
Would my size have anything to do with me being a PANSY???
Reply by Chuck:
I'm 6' and 265lbs. But eveyone tells me I carry it well <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did anyone else see that as a "finally coming out of the closet" statement? Chuck is that why we never see you with a women (Excluding the wings girls. Afterall, after the above statement we know you help keep that place in business.)
smile.gif

S

SUN RA KAT

I'm 6'5" tall and weighed 335 pounds at the time (I'm 20 pounds less now) I picked up my Viper from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse. I had the 2" seat lowering kit put in to give me headroom. I signed the papers then drove it from Blair, Nebraska to Elk Point, South Dakota and turned around and drove it back. My back and legs and feet hurt big time by the time I got back. The next morning I had my first oil change done at 250 miles and had the seat raised in the front only 1" to give me more leg room. I also squeezed the rubber ball the fills the back lumbar support to get a good fit on my back. Then I drove over 760 miles in one day back to Centerville, Ohio. My back felt fine but my ankles and knees hurt by the end of that trip.

Since then, I do stretching exercises on my legs for my knees, ankles and feet and usually can drive without any pain at all now.

Now if I can figure how to get in and out of this car gracefully I'll be all set...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bonkers:
Did anyone else see that as a "finally coming out of the closet" statement?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bonk, how could you possibly think of that as a...oh wait, nevermind.
smile.gif
<FONT size="-3">&lt;--See? Smiley inserted just to show I'm joking around with the tree-hugging candyass liberal &%%^%$^)*#@</FONT s>

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've taken mine for a number of 300-700 mile roadtrips. In general I find the Viper very comfortable, but I do have a bad lower back and I find that the pedal position (I'm assuming) does sometimes cause my back to give me grief. I've driven 50 miles and had problems and 200 miles without an issue. I'm not sure what the variable is. I think it might be determined by how much I skew myself in the seat to keep my spine and legs aligned.

Getting in and out when the back is giving me grief is not an elegant affair. Good thing I'm short (5'7") or I'd never make it at all.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done several long road trips in the GTS without complaint, even with a very bad back (scoliosis). I am about the same size as you are. I do get a little fidgety with the left leg after long stretches, as there is no real decent place to park it.

As to the seat, I could sit in it all day long. Oh wait, I guess I do:

You must be registered for see images

Seriously, I find this to be one of the most comfortable seats I have ever used, both in and out of the car. I have heard that the SRT's have an even better feel, but we will have to wait a few weeks to find out - after I drive the 570 miles to get there!

Chris

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chris, what the hell do you do in that room all day, dust??? Clean, clean, clean. I don't see a towel anywhere so I know you're not downloading ****.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:

You must be registered for see images

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'6", 220lbs...oh wait, that was last year... ~280lbs now
smile.gif

I only have 3 comfort complaints in my 9500 miles (all since April of this year):

-Getting in/out more than 4 times during a trip, especially if I'm only out for a couple seconds each time and it's a short trip - running to the bank, the Ferrari dealer, and the grocery store on my way back from work, for example. I just dread hopping back in each and every time.

-My 400 mile round trip weekends; the tendon on the right side of my right foot hurts for the day after from holding it at a steady 90 mph for 2 hours on the highway. I found that I can wedge my foot in and accomplish the same thing without flexing it and thus I can avoid this one.

-95 degrees + being in the car longer than 30 minutes straight. Get's a little uncomfy.

Still it doesn't taint the feel all that much.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
500 mile trip = 3.5 hours even with rest stops
supergrin.gif

On longer trips I need to stop on occasion to get fuel and because my a$$ cheeks get sore. (No snide comments please)
smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960