600 Hp plus is coming from Dodge soon

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: 600 Hp plus is coming from Dodge soon

Just because we drive cool cars, that does not make us an "elite community"..........And your V8 idea stinks.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Magnesium no good. It burns.

Al would be considerably more expensive. The frame would have to be completely redesigned and tested to provide the same, or preferably better stiffness than the current steel frame.

Ti is out of the question. I don't want to pay 200K for a Viper. Not yet anyway.

I'm not against a lighter Viper but if it drives cost up higher than more HP, I'll vote for more HP.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some of you need to count to ten before responding; grow up! We can't be an elite community if we are dissing each other. Anyway, I prefer a steel frame because steel is a lot tougher than aluminum. In other words it resists impact stresses better than aluminum does. I think aluminum is great for components that don't serve as major support areas. Other materials for consideration would be titanium or even magnesium. Or, how about this (gonna get my flame suit on): Chop off two cylinders for a shorter, lighter engine and still keep the cubes or even lose some cubes but up the compression and improve cylinder head breathing. (sound familiar? that would be like the LS7)
Poo Poo head..

I vote for more power and torque. Keep the viper the same length and width and please don't chop it like the corvette rear (fugly!!)

Seriously, I just wanna see 600+ HP / TQ..... C'mon Lucky 7's..>!!!

G

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vipah, bite me...

Sorry to dissapoint you Geraldine, but I am not ***. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Your lifestyle choice is your business.

:eek: :eek:

:D :D :p :p :2tu: :2tu: :headbang: :headbang:

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope that this rumor is true.
If so, I'm still not sure exactly why DC delayed the announcement because the timing of releasing the new Viper Coupe AND 625HP would have been MUCH better than releasing the new Coupe without any mechanical changes, and having the Z06 get a strong leg up publically.

Shaving weight is indeed a great way to make the Viper more competitive, but GM likely spent a LOT of research, development, and tooling money to lighten the Z06. And DC is NOT allowing anywhere near that kind of budget for the Viper.

The $300K Lamborghini Murcielago weighs about 200lbs+ more than the Viper coupe, the Veyron weighs 700lbs more, and the SL65 weighs over 1000lbs+ more! But most people don't classify those cars by their weight, but by their performance.

The Ferrari Enzo and Porsche CGT are both about 200lbs lighter than the Viper and employ $$$ carbon fiber chassis/tubs to hit that weight, but it's the 651/605HP that gave them most of their performance edge (for a steep price) over their competition.

625HP, Motons, Quaife, switchable TC (and a real rollbar on the convertible Viper) would be all that is needed to raise the Viper up to being with the top 1% of performance cars again. And DC could easily produce such a Viper for under $100K if they put their minds to the task.

Being lighter would be a big plus, but I wouldn't trade ONE of the above-mentioned factory mods (especially power) for weight savings (while importantly keeping the price under $100K).

I just truly hope that this isn't another empty rumor, and that DC formally announces the performance improvements soon! :2tu:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vipah, bite me...

Sorry to dissapoint you Geraldine, but I am not ***. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Your lifestyle choice is your business.

:eek: :eek:

:D :D :p :p :2tu: :2tu: :headbang: :headbang:
vipah, bite me :eek: My SRT OWN you! MY GTS OWNS YOU TOO.. :)

In fact, that would make a good plate wouldn't it? VPABYTME

hahahaha

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car needs a Quaife,

That is being tested now...per a SRT engineer.

Thank God - it's being reported that the car spins its inside rear wheel in some of the tighter stuff, which is purely and utterly unacceptable.

And Warfang, if you read the rest of my post, I mentioned 'motor improvements'. I never said more HP/TQ is a bad thing (who says that, anyway?), but I think a combination of both weight reduction and more power would be optimal.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car needs a Quaife,

That is being tested now...per a SRT engineer.

Thank God - it's being reported that the car spins its inside rear wheel in some of the tighter stuff, which is purely and utterly unacceptable.

And Warfang, if you read the rest of my post, I mentioned 'motor improvements'. I never said more HP/TQ is a bad thing (who says that, anyway?), but I think a combination of both weight reduction and more power would be optimal.

I'd never accuse anyone with enough sense to appreciate the Viper of NOT liking more HP... that would just be an outright lie. :D

The only point of contention here is that, although weight is very important, it is not the only factor like a lot of these other people here seem to believe (hence the, "We MUST have aluminum frames.... or else!" attitude). Instead of seeking common ground, some took a stand proclaiming that weight IS the end-all to preformance. That just isn't so.

I don't care WHAT the lbs/hp number is... as long as in the end, we're the ones kicking @$$. :2tu:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D.C. need to do something they are (from what some mags say) "no longer king of the mountain"

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: *DELETED*

Don't worry sween, I'm not as thin skinned as most SRT owners :p :shocked: :D

Thanks for tracking my posts. You aren't turning into a stalker, are you??

:eek: :eek: :2tu: :2tu:

its called using the search button

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: *DELETED*

seriously.... Does it look like this AWESOME upgrade is going to hit the GenIII's or is it going to be in the GenIV, upcoming viper?

G

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care WHAT the lbs/hp number is... as long as in the end, we're the ones kicking @$$. :2tu:

Agreed. :2tu: And you make a great point about an aluminium frame - I don't think that is where DC should go for the Viper. We have one of the stiffest out there now, no reason to change it.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

it would be nice but I have heard rumors that it will be a V8 Hemi. Please say I am wrong! There is a lot of ways to shave off the weight starting with the run flats and wheels.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

it would be nice but I have heard rumors that it will be a V8 Hemi. Please say I am wrong! There is a lot of ways to shave off the weight starting with the run flats and wheels.

your wrong!! :D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

An analysis of all the posts on this subject suggests that it is more probable than not that the next leap forward will be the same V10 with a twin scew supercharger at the 5lb boost level. Think about it. Why should Dodge turn itself inside out to find any other solution? The twin screw is reliable, looks fantastic, has the best power curve, is easy to maintain, and very durable. ( Look at the success and durability of the 1999 - 2004 Ford Lightnings.) Once they finish work on the programming for a stock controller, they would be good to go. It would also be relatively easy to certify for EPA purposes. My guess is that it will be an option not a standard component. Not everyone wants this level of power. I think that the option will include the supercharger, performance controller, hardier fuel pump, boost gauge, strengthened differential and half shafts, somewhat firmer suspension, and maybe a few other goodies that are not expensive to produce. It would also include badging that indicates the vehicle is supercharged. Lastly, I think that the option will be under $10,000.00. If I prove to be correct, I may get a license tag that says: VMDIUM.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

from what i have heard there is about 560 hp on the way, if the car can loose 250-300lbs the car will be at the front of the pack again instead of running with a group(small as it may be)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Unless somebody has some legit inside info I think the supercharger talk is a pipe dream for you dragracers. Traditionally the SC heat buildup has been too much for 30 minute runs on a track. All the superchargers I've known have never been able to last. Turbo yes, supercharger no.

Personally, I hope the V10 remains N/A.

A 505 CID Hemi would be cool.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My post concerned the more distant time frame of Spring 2007. I think that in a much shorter time frame we will see some Mopar "bolt on" options like those seen at SEMA.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Supercharger, hmmm. You know Sean did make that post a while ago in which he got inadvertently copied on a private DC email concerning this topic. Now why would he be in someones email group unless he was involved somehow?

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's all about power to weight. If they can't shed some lbs, then up the power, and that can be done without SC or turbo. You know it and I know it, and so does DC.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is no way for DC to up the power to 650 flywheel HP ( with the same power curve) as simply, inexpensively, and quickly as with a twin screw supercharger. Just compare the cost of a "built" Viper motor with accompanying changes with that of a twin screw supercharger installation. The "built" motor would require many different parts, be less reliable over time, more costly to maintain, and probably require a new federal certification for on road use. Also, with a well programmed OEM controller a supercharged car would not have to run as rich as we do to be on the safe side of things. My guess is that this would result in much better gas mileage than a factory "built" motor and could be easily made for the California market since the compression would be relatively low allowing 91 octane fuel to be used. My Lightning, with modifications, gets 24 miles to the gallon at a constant 75 MPH on the highway. My Roe enhanced Viper got 19/20 miles to the gallon on my 370 mile drive back from Sean's last February - all at highway speeds. As previously stated, I believe the first bump will be the bolt ons shown at SEMA - good for about 60HP. I beleive the next "big thing", more than a bump, will be a 5lb twin screw supercharger option. If I am wrong, so be it. If I am right, a big thank you to SRT and Dodge.

Thums Up

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No reason to hold out guys.

You can pick up a $500 item today called a rear-end gear and put it into your car for an extra $100 unless you choose to do it yourself and blow the vette back to the tech center in Troy Michigan.

You have to remember when you are talking vette to add the 343 rear-gear it has to the equation.

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

maybe they will call it the "SSRT-10"
The new "S" standing for "SUPERCHARGER." :2tu:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Supercharger would add more weight to the front of the Viper...About 100lbs ruining its near 50/50 balance and would affect handling imho...It already doesnt handle as good as the Z06 why add to the problem just to beat a stock Z06 in one catagory...Straightline speed...I would prefer to see all motor 650+hp...Its a freakin 8.3l engine afterall...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude