600 Hp plus is coming from Dodge soon

rbarta

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 600 Hp plus is coming from Dodge soon

Hmmmmm. Why not 625 hp, higher rev limit, more aggressive gearing AND save 250lbs through aluminum frame (200lbs), carbon fiber(30lbs), exhaust crossover removed (10lbs), remove trunk carpeting (5lbs)? Ok, that's only 245lbs.

300lbs is not like a passenger. To me 300lbs is like having 3 naked girlfriends in the passenger seat :) and I need that.

I thought you all wanted a minimalist car (no cupholder, no driver nannies, no ABS, no luxury items, no ???). Well, that should have minimalist weight!!!

I don't think anyone has insisted that the Viper KEEP it's weight... just that HP increase is sufficient in lieu of weight reduction if it's cheaper to do so. Let's just split the baby in half and say a 100HP increase (instead of 200) and 150lbs weight reduction (instead of 300). :rolleyes:

So....ummm....you agree but post it as a disagreement. alllllrighty then :2tu:

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Viperfreak. The first step is putting an aluminum frame under the car. That would require no other certification, except maybe crash testing. How much more could an aluminum frame cost over a steel frame? $500? $1000? They are all built from scratch, ala "old school", right? I love looking at my car from underneath because it looks like a winston cup car. How much more cool would it be if that square tubing was aluminum? I can already see myself polishing the frame on the weekends! :(

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmmmm. Why not 625 hp, higher rev limit, more aggressive gearing AND save 250lbs through aluminum frame (200lbs), carbon fiber(30lbs), exhaust crossover removed (10lbs), remove trunk carpeting (5lbs)? Ok, that's only 245lbs.

300lbs is not like a passenger. To me 300lbs is like having 3 naked girlfriends in the passenger seat :) and I need that.

I thought you all wanted a minimalist car (no cupholder, no driver nannies, no ABS, no luxury items, no ???). Well, that should have minimalist weight!!!

I don't think anyone has insisted that the Viper KEEP it's weight... just that HP increase is sufficient in lieu of weight reduction if it's cheaper to do so. Let's just split the baby in half and say a 100HP increase (instead of 200) and 150lbs weight reduction (instead of 300). :rolleyes:

Just because you did well with hukt on fonix, doesn't mean you understand what you're reading. :D

Someone wanting a minimalist car is not synonymous with someone not understanding that the ultimate goal is to go faster, not obsess over weight. If it means ADDING weight to add 1000HP to make it go much faster at a reasonable price... that's a much better solution than to trim by 500lbs just to gain marginally at a higher cost. Whichever combination gets better results at a reasonable price gets my vote and money. I would think these variables are what engineers are paid to balance. I seriously doubt they are blind to weight issues.

So to recap: weight reduction is not the end-all to preformance, so get over it. Neither is HP. Someone wanting a minimalist approach to the Viper (It's reason for being built) is not necessarily someone who would just harp on losing weight.

Hope that makes it easier for you to comprehend. :rolleyes:

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I disagree with the statement that weight reduction is not the end all to performance. Name one other single modification that will help the car accelerate faster, handle better, and stop quicker.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just give me the 600 to 650hp, I don't need the other crap. Are you guys anxious to push the price of the viper way above 100K? :rolleyes:

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I disagree with the statement that weight reduction is not the end all to performance. Name one other single modification that will help the car accelerate faster, handle better, and stop quicker.

Okay, I will bite. TIRES (and wheels if they are lighter)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just buy a motorcycle and call it a day then. Who needs doors, steering wheels and 4 wheels? Heck, drive naked and save 5 lbs! Maybe that'll give you a .00000000001 second advantage in the 1/4 mile? Even better, shave your ***** and gain even more! :rolleyes:

I mean... weight *IS* the end-all, right? Or, is there a common sense line we can draw before the advantage of weight does not surpass its disadvantages in strength, integrity and cost?

rbarta

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just because you did well with hukt on fonix, doesn't mean you understand what you're reading. :D

Someone wanting a minimalist car is not synonymous with someone not understanding that the ultimate goal is to go faster, not obsess over weight. If it means ADDING weight to add 1000HP to make it go much faster at a reasonable price... that's a much better solution than to trim by 500lbs just to gain marginally at a higher cost. Whichever combination gets better results at a reasonable price gets my vote and money. I would think these variables are what engineers are paid to balance. I seriously doubt they are blind to weight issues.

So to recap: weight reduction is not the end-all to preformance, so get over it. Neither is HP. Someone wanting a minimalist approach to the Viper (It's reason for being built) is not necessarily someone who would just harp on losing weight.

Hope that makes it easier for you to comprehend. :rolleyes:

What's your problem? Why all the insults? Who said weight reduction is the end-all to performance? Who's harping?

You have some social problems you need to deal with.

I hope your day gets better.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score

rbarta, pay no attention to warfang, he is obviously an idiot that really has no idea about what he's talking about. The fact of the matter is that the Viper has a tremendous amount of wait that could be economically shaved by the factory. I don't agree with the aluminum frame idea, because I don't believe in compromising strength for weight, but let's face it---the difference between the Viper and the Z06 is weight, not power.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...the Viper has a tremendous amount of wait that could be economically shaved by the factory.

Who's the idiot here? Lemme guess... you "weight" at the stop light? :rolleyes:

Considering you agree with my assertion that aluminum is most likely not the way to go, I think you're pointing the idiot finger at all the wrong places.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bottom line is that this is just a pipe dream. Seems like a lot more winking and nodding to me, with no follow through.

DC isn't coming out with a 600hp viper in 2007, face it.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bottom line is that this is just a pipe dream. Seems like a lot more winking and nodding to me, with no follow through.

ok i gotta say something. for years you b*tch about the gen3 viper losing to the vette and it *****. now were probly gonna get more hp and better performance and you say it isnt comin out. your not even sayin that you want it to come out.so now you want it to stay the same? :confused:

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ok i gotta say something. for years you b*tch about the gen3 viper losing to the vette and it *****. now were probly gonna get more hp and better performance and you say it isnt comin out. your not even sayin that you want it to come out.so now you want it to stay the same? :confused:

I didn't say that. I want them to come out with something better, but it isn't reality to think it will be on the market in <12 months. Anyone who things that will happen is just foolish.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Face it , Steve is a poo poo head. A big poo poo head.

Nice comeback Geraldine, did you find a 3 year old to help you with this. You are a real wit, a nit wit (or half wit, dim wit etc.. etc...)

:D :D :2tu: :p :p :headbang:

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score

...the Viper has a tremendous amount of wait that could be economically shaved by the factory.

Who's the idiot here? Lemme guess... you "weight" at the stop light? :rolleyes:

Considering you agree with my assertion that aluminum is most likely not the way to go, I think you're pointing the idiot finger at all the wrong places.
It's called a typo---that's what happens when you talk on the phone while you type. The idiot moniker has more to do with the fact that you make assinine statements and discount the TREMENDOUS effect weight reduction can have on vehicle performance than anything else. Just because you happen to agree with me on the aluminum frame issue doesn't make your statements about ***** hair and such any less idiotic.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Other than unsprung weight (wheels/tires like another poster said), I agree with Kenny 100%.

Horsepower/torque is good, but I still think that the absolute best way to combat the Z would be to get the weight of the Viper down to 2900 lbs. And make some motor and differential improvements. And lose that GOD-AWFUL rear end.

And Warfang, stop going all slippery-slope with your arguments. It makes you look like an idiot.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Face it , Steve is a poo poo head. A big poo poo head.

Nice comeback Geraldine, did you find a 3 year old to help you with this. You are a real wit, a nit wit (or half wit, dim wit etc.. etc...)

:D :D :2tu: :p :p :headbang:

yup...sween :D

and don't worry about being the poo poo head. Gerald can be the wee wee and we can all be dookies. :)

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This might seem like a silly question to some, but I will ask anyway. At 510 HP we are already challanged to get the power we have to the street without wheel hop, burn outs, etc. I know I control my SRT 10 pretty well as a stock car, but I think all the extra power (650HP)will require additional things like TC, Quaife, Motons and different tires to control it or we might be wasting our time getting the extra power. I would appreciate some good feedback, because I'm considering Mods on mine like TT, and Moton and basically get what DC might give me in 2007
for a lot less money considering I already have and like my
Silver SRT 10 ?

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm with Warfang on this one....HP and Torque,Baby......No fat chicks, and you'll be fine

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This might seem like a silly question to some, but I will ask anyway. At 510 HP we are already challanged to get the power we have to the street without wheel hop, burn outs, etc. I know I control my SRT 10 pretty well as a stock car, but I think all the extra power (650HP)will require additional things like TC, Quaife, Motons and different tires to control it or we might be wasting our time getting the extra power. I would appreciate some good feedback, because I'm considering Mods on mine like TT, and Moton and basically get what DC might give me in 2007
Silver SRT 10 ?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just buy a motorcycle and call it a day then. Who needs doors, steering wheels and 4 wheels? Heck, drive naked and save 5 lbs! Maybe that'll give you a .00000000001 second advantage in the 1/4 mile? Even better, shave your ***** and gain even more! :rolleyes:

I mean... weight *IS* the end-all, right? Or, is there a common sense line we can draw before the advantage of weight does not surpass its disadvantages in strength, integrity and cost?

i was thinking why not just throw in a couple super models with the deal and we will be set :)

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Silver SRT 10 ?

Good point.Now,guys,can we please stop calling each other names and get back to the subject at hand?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's called a typo---that's what happens when you talk on the phone while you type. The idiot moniker has more to do with the fact that you make assinine statements and discount the TREMENDOUS effect weight reduction can have on vehicle performance than anything else. Just because you happen to agree with me on the aluminum frame issue doesn't make your statements about ***** hair and such any less idiotic.

Actually, it's not a typo, but an incorrect homonym. My statement about your ***** are dead on if you believe that weight is EVERYTHING and the END-ALL of performance. Think of it as a cleverer retort than "You're an idiot!", and "assinine." :p

I have never discounted weight. I just think the people who think that weight is the only thing that matters are not grounded in reality. These are the people that just keep harping on using an aluminum frame which you also think is a bad idea. The ultimate goal is better performance. Who cares if the z06 has better lbs/hp ratio? Heck, they get better mpg too. With a car under $100k... you gotta pick your battles to win the war.

If a complete CF body and lighter wheels take off 300lbs and costs $20,000 more, while a 300hp boost with the current weight costs $10,000 more... which would you rather have? Common sense dictates the obvious, don't you think? The dollar amount is arbitrary to illustrate a point. I wouldn't know the actual costs, and if lightening the car (ONLY) indeed cost less with better performance, I'd be all for it.

Ideally, losing some weight in the wheels AND adding some HP will make all the difference in the world, unless your goal is to beat the vette in every number category. :rolleyes:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Other than unsprung weight (wheels/tires like another poster said), I agree with Kenny 100%.

Horsepower/torque is good, but I still think that the absolute best way to combat the Z would be to get the weight of the Viper down to 2900 lbs. And make some motor and differential improvements. And lose that GOD-AWFUL rear end.

And Warfang, stop going all slippery-slope with your arguments. It makes you look like an idiot.

Riiight... you have no logical retort so you and your cohorts resort to name calling. The only slippery slope is your faulty logic that weight is everything. I only illustrate the absurdity of your argument with my examples.

For the record, weight is a VERY important factor, and if it is cheaper to shave 400 lbs than it is gain more hp, AND get better performance WITHOUT compromising the strength of the frame, then I'm all for the weight reduction. I'm no car designer/engineer and neither are any of you from what I gather.

A good compromise would be BOTH some weight reduction AND HP increase. But you guys are too stubborn to acknowledge that because your feelings got hurt from not being able to present a cogent argument. Poor babies.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sween you need to remember your a guest in "our" house. Show more respect to a fellow Viper owner. :mad:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vipah, bite me...

Oh yeah.. You're still a poo poo head

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some of you need to count to ten before responding; grow up! We can't be an elite community if we are dissing each other. Anyway, I prefer a steel frame because steel is a lot tougher than aluminum. In other words it resists impact stresses better than aluminum does. I think aluminum is great for components that don't serve as major support areas. Other materials for consideration would be titanium or even magnesium. Or, how about this (gonna get my flame suit on): Chop off two cylinders for a shorter, lighter engine and still keep the cubes or even lose some cubes but up the compression and improve cylinder head breathing. (sound familiar? that would be like the LS7)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness