94 Exhaust Upgrades

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey All,

Been reading through past posts about exhaust upgrades and it is all quite confusing...since I just bought my Viper a month ago, I have to keep an eye on the $$ for a little while, so looking for some low budget options for uncorking the beast.

I had to put cats on the car a few weeks ago so it would pass Emmissions testing here in Ontario (previous owner had taken them off, no Emmissions testing in Quebec) so I could get it plated and on the road. We put the smallest 2.5" cats (non h/f) my mechanic had in stock, only about 12" long, and we replaced the stock mile-long mufflers with resonators. Sounds awesome now!

Have been reading that a reasonably inexpensive upgrade is to put 98+ stock headers on, but not sure of exactly what sort of gains I will get from it (other that saving the 25lbs).

Also, is there a specific range of years for the headers that will fit on the Gen1 cars? Are the RT/10 headers the same as the GTS headers?

Does anyone have any before/after dyno numbers on the header swap?

I have smooth hoses and K&N's installed, and a VEC1 on the way, but in my experience over the years (at least with turbo (Shelby Dodge) cars) the more you can uncork the exhaust the better.....

Any input would be much appreciated!

Jay in Canada eh!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hear is what I did with my 94. No headers, left the original ones on. Replaced original cats/muffs with Snake Oyl Products high flow cats and mufflers. 1.7 Harland Sharp rockers along with pushrods. Also new guides, springs, etc. etc. Smooth tubes. Had the car dynoed when I put nitrous on and my baseline was 401rwhp/478rwtq. Those aren't bad #'s for a 11 year old car. Headers will set you back around $1600 I believe.
PS And by the way, your car is a RT/10 not a GTS. :D

OP
OP
S

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Of course its an RT/10....but check out my picture!

Previous owner wanted to trade it in in 96 for a GTS but didn't want to spend the $$$...so he added a hardtop and wing, and painted it GTS colors!

OP
OP
S

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
See above post, and check out the picture!

--------------
94 Viper RT/10
Hardtop, Wing, Painted in 96 to look like GTS - White w/Blue Stripes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog