94 Viper Engine Light On And Turns Over But Doesn't Start

94 Tom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 Viper with 28,000 miles has the engine light on and turns over but doesn't fire up. When this originally started about a year ago I was able to start it by going through the "system self-test" in the "vehicle theft security system" section in the 94 viper service manual. This included cycling the ignition key three times, opening each door and turning on the interior lamp. It worked for a while and now it doesn't and my engine light stays on. I can't find a scanner that will read the Gen 1 Viper so I did the system diagnosis by turning the key on 3 times and watching the count of the flashing check engine light sequence. It flashed 3 times with a pause, 5 times with a pause and 5 times again and the check engine light went out but not the diagram of the engine light. I can send the video of this if someone wants me to send it to them. My understanding is the code is 355, if that is correct, is ignition coil #5 primary circuit. My mods include B&B headers with high flow cats and T&D roller rockers. These were done about 15 years ago with no problems. I live in Palm Harbor, FL which is in the Tampa area. Thanks for any feedback. Tom 727-215-1662 [email protected]

OP
OP

94 Tom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Dr. Steve. I don't have your last name. You are a big help. My friend the mechanic and I will call you tomorrow or Friday.

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might check for spark first, then for injector pulse using a test light. If both are there likely a fuel delivery issue.

These ecus output 2 digit codes, “55” just means you are at the end of codes.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
His code was actually 12 (battery disconnect...PCM reset) followed by the 55 end of info code.
Hey Steve,

I am not all that far from this guy. In case he calls me and not to be redundant, did you guys figure anything out?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Dan...we talked again when his mechanic friend was present but did not get very far. They had a few tests to confirm, but I have not heard anything new.

I appreciate your reminder...and, I will call him. Since you are close, I will give him your number.

Thanks again and Happy New Year !!