96/97 Blue/White vs 2002 Vipers

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As some of you may know, for the last 4 weeks I've been lurking on this site and other viper sites for a low mi 96/97 Blue with White Stripes viper. It seems like I'm not alone. Blue/White vipers seem to be the most popular color combo and they are priced accordingly. To compare apples with apples, lets talk low mi (5000 or less). Garage queen Blue/Whites can go from $55k-60k. There is one on ebay with less than 1000 mi that is at $51,000+ that has not met its reserve and another with 4800 mi that has a buy now at $57,000. I understand that sometimes a low mi. car that has sat and stagnated for years may be more problematic than a car driven daily. Now compare these prices to an equally low mi. 2002 with a warranty. If you look close enough you can find 2002 vipers with low miles for $55,000-60,000. A 2002 grey viper with 295 miles and full warranty just sold on ebay for $60,000. Seems like I may have been searching for the wrong year. What is the general consensus of this group as to which is the better value?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given the pricing you mention above, the better value clearly in the 2002. As much as I like hearing what you've said, I do believe you can find motivated sellers of blue / white GTS's with =/- 10K miles for less than that, but it might require some on site negotiation.

I myself only wanted a blue / white and would have paid the premium if I had too.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The later model you can afford is alwys the best value, but blue & whites are faster!

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,
If you are looking strictly at the numbers (no emotions involved) then it would seem that a 2002 with low miles and a full warranty would be the best buy. Nearly all of the quirks of this model should have been resolved over the 7 years of production. On the other hand, If you like the blue color, the muscle car lumpy cam, the fact that it was the first color produced, the fact that it is the first image that most people think of when "Viper GTS" is mentioned and, in my opinion, the one most likely to increase in value over the years - get a '96 or '97.
I have both a '96 and an '02 FinalEdtion and I can tall you that the '96 is my favorite and will be the last one I sell (probably never will).
Bob K

OP
OP
G

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<I have both a '96 and an '02 FinalEdtion and I can tall you that the '96 is my favorite and will be the last one I sell (probably never will.>
Bob, thanks for the info, as I really like the 02FE also and for you to chose the 96 over the 02 says a lot. I think BigCarrot was also debating between the 2 a couple weeks ago. I guess since there are pros and cons to both cars, it probably will boil down to finding one of the above "priced right". I can easily live with either. :p

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gerald,
I had to make the exact same decision not too long ago. Should I get the color I have always wanted or 3-4 year newer car for the same price. For the same price as my 96 I could have bought a 2000 with warranty and 18” wheels. You can see what I chose. It really comes down to how much you want a color. Logic would dictate getting the latest model possible because it will be more reliable and has a few more features. My thought process was this, why should I compromise on my “toy” car. If I had purchased any other color I would have been disappointed every time I saw a Blue/White. For that reason I paid the premium for the color. Not logical, but neither is owning an 8.0L car. My car has 1890 miles on it so I may have paid a premium just for that fact alone. If you are willing to get a car with 8k-15k miles you should be able to find a 96 for $47k. I was looking for <5k miles so those cars were not a consideration for me.

The bottom line is how much do you really like the blue? Is there another color you would be as happy with? If the answer is yes, I would get a later model, as it is better buy.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a member who bought a mint 96 with 18k for under 41k a few months ago with 5k stereo , borla cat back, new pilot sports.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought mine w/ 9100 miles, have put 1000 miles on her so far since January, had it break down (due to my own tinkering) and towed home, and noticed the weather stripping is looking 8 years old........

but I LOVE that car........same thought process as Blue GTS...if that's what you really want, that's what you should get.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I KNOW this is sacreligous to even think let alone post it buuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttt . . . . . . . . .

how about buying a 2000 then paint it the blue and white for a few grand.

Ok, I will now be moving to an island with Peter Arnett. :)

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that is sacrilege at all. And, to be honest, all the body panels except for the roof can be removed from the car and painted that way - for a VERY high quality paint job. Removal of panels takes about a day and if you also reinstall, it should help with cost. Only thing is, you haveto make sure the stripes line up as best as possible. But if I were to do it, I would paint the panels off the car for a true factory look paint job.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let color rule your decision, their is such little difference between 96-02 in a GTS (other than 01 ABS I guess), that buying to get a newer car for the buck strictly on age not miles is a moot point in a Viper.

My .02 cents......

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid a bit more for my 96 as I wanted a blue and white the most. I love the lumpy cam, the knowing that it's the "first" GTS and holds it's value better than any other GTS.

My only problem now is I want to mod the car but feel somehow guilty about doing that to a "like new" original mostly stock (tubes,filters, and rear **** delete) 96.

It's kinda like hacking up an old classic to make it a drag car.

I don't think I would feel this way if I had a newer one. Strange?

I would trade it for a newer dark blue GTS with stripes as I think those are the second best looking GTS's out there. I would just have to add a s/c to that one. :laugh:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you like color, go with the 96/97, your best value now a days are what ppl said above, you can get 2000, or 2001's same price! :laugh:

Gerald

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned an older gen 2 and a newer gen 2 and personaly I would not go with an older gen 2 for the same money. The 02 is a much better car to me.

Here are a few things that come to mind.....

18" wheels
Alarm switch
Air bag cut off switch
Power mirrors
Rear glass internal release
ABS!
Lighter and stronger pistons
No fog light covers to mess with and break
STRONGER frame from the factory
Newer silver interior door handles
Tubular stainless headers (Lighter and more HP's)
Newer and better new 10 qt oil pan
Warranty

Buying cars for an investment is not a good choice, so do not let that be the main factor. Color should and can be the one deciding factor, but do remember there are over 2,100 Blue and whites so do not go out and buy the first one you find.

And furthermore, out of the 3 gen II's I've owned and dyno'd, the 02 was the strongest.

$ for $ the 02 is a MUCH better value!

Let color rule your decision, their is such little difference between 96-02 in a GTS (other than 01 ABS I guess), that buying to get a newer car for the buck strictly on age not miles is a moot point in a Viper.

My .02 cents......

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the exact same thoughts when looking to buy my first Viper this time last year. So I got the best of both worlds....

2002 Viper GTS ACR Raffle Car Viper Blue/Silver Stripes One of One :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the exact same thoughts when looking to buy my first Viper this time last year. So I got the best of both worlds....

2002 Viper GTS ACR Raffle Car Viper Blue/Silver Stripes One of One :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sure rub it in.... Here want some salt. :D

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A good point that CODY brought up is investment. I really doubt the blue/white will be worth more 5+ years from now. There were too many of them made. It is hard to sell high when there are 2000 copies of the car running around. To truly have a collector car you have to keep the mileage ultra low. Mine is low now, but it will not be in 5 years. I bought it to drive it.

So... Do you like the list of benefits that CODY listed more than the blue color? That is the 55k question.

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man the only viper I would give up for my 97 Blue/White viper is the 98 GTS-R. I think the GTS-R will always hold its value followed by the Blue/White stripe.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stronger pistons? Nope...

Later Viper cast pistons are lighter but not stronger. That's why Sean Roe's supercharger is limited to 5lbs. boost on the later cars.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point Big Medicine, he'd have to go with an '03 and pay an extra 25K to get a cup holder.

Any viper with low miles will bring a premium regardless of year and color. If you want a collector Viper go with a 1998 GT2 (only a 100 built and numbered). On average you will see 160 vipers just to see 1 GT2, and the otherhand 1 out of 7 vipers are blue & white (of coarse the other 6 are red!) :)

On the bright side, neither one will have cupholders or cruise control.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are not investments but finding one that holds it value better than the other is an important factor for me. History has shown that 96/97 low mileage blue and white GTS's are doing the best.

CODY has some good points but Aaron is also making a good point... color vs options vs. price. Its all what you want in the car. I personally could care less about most of the options on a newer GTS as they in no way effect the "experience"

OP
OP
G

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<2002 Viper GTS ACR Raffle Car Viper Blue/Silver Stripes One of One >
Ken, I think I made up my mind and you have the car I want!!! 1 of 1 would make your car a little rare! :shocked: You've had it I am assuming for a year, so the thrill is probably gone by now, so sell it to me (for cheap)! :p :p :p

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wayne,
I have a question about your car. Did DC paint your car starting with a bare car, or did they strip the paint off a new car that already had a color on it? I know it sounds like a strange question but for a 1 of 1 I am sure there is a story behind it.
How does the color compare to a 96/97 blue car?

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a 97 with 45,000 miles with alot of mods and now has 48,000 miles with even more mods and I would never even think about a new Viper...The blue and white just stands out more then other colors..I think it matters the shape of the car and not miles. My car looks like it has 5000 miles and I have seen Vipers with 5000 miles that look like they have 80,000 on them...just my 2 cents

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 1997 blue/white in january. I can say that this was the only color that I liked. I paid 46k and it had 10800 miles. I still feel that I got a good buy. I could have bought one cheaper in another color, but it all boiles down to what is joing to keep you happy.

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue/white...there is no substitute!!!
Red Vipers have been around for 10 years...
Blue/white...just two.

You must be registered for see images

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Cody, with your list of later improvements, you forgot to mention probably the most important change of all,

The new Delphi key fob! :D

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, I thought blue/white was the only color cars came in. Live and learn I guess.