96 Viper GTS Venom 550 - making more mods

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MY APOLOGIES

It appears that my picture links (website coding) from Cardomain have changed over the course of my build. So the pics have the Big 'X' :omg:

My future posts should be okay as long as Cardomain does not change something.

Here is a link to my build on Cardomain for all the pics that are no longer viewable on this thread http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2842608

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well it has been a long time since I have posted any progress on my build. Even though I haven't been turning a wrench I am still planning the build and purchasing parts. :2tu:

Here is the latest:
  • no stereo system - I have decided that this car is going to be way too loud to listen to a stereo...so there is no point in installing one. Plus it's bascially a race car...and race cars don't have stereo systems. :D
  • new rims - After installing the Forgeline rims onto my Viper I decided that the center spoke color was to dark and didn't work with the blue. I just purchased a set of 2008 SRT 5 spoke rims and will be slightly modifying them for my car.
  • OEM insturment gauges - I sent my OEM Viper gauges to Auto Instruments to have them install a custom gauge face. Last week they informed me that the OEM gauge needles cannot be removed from the gauge face. So the OEM gauges cannot have a custom gauge face installed.
  • custom instrument gauges - My plan is to purchase a set of custom instrument gauges from Speedhut that will be customized to my specifications.
  • suspension - I will be purchasing a set of Aldan adjustable shocks
  • brakes - still trying to determine which rotor will work best with Dave's Big Brake kit. Looks like the best option is Stoptech.
  • transmission - I will be purchasing a 2008 Tremec 6060 transmission for a 2008 Viper. These transmissions are much stronger than a T56 and can be modified to install in a Gen. II Viper.
Stay tuned for progress!

Cheers
Jason

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, where in the world did you get all this talent to do all of this? As much as I like Hennesseys work you might consider pulling his decals off the hood and put YOURS on. And I am soooo glad you are NOT putting the stereo back in. Music and BS weight does not belong in a Viper. Great work and patience to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang:

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW, where in the world did you get all this talent to do all of this? As much as I like Hennesseys work you might consider pulling his decals off the hood and put YOURS on. And I am soooo glad you are NOT putting the stereo back in. Music and BS weight does not belong in a Viper. Great work and patience to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang:

Happy to hear that you like my ideas. :2tu:

My dad taught me how to wrench. My dad is also a perfectionist. I am simply continuing the tradition.

My moto is "DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!"

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I want to thank Paul & PJ at Don Scharf Automotive for the fantastic service! I purchased a set of 2008 SRT 5 spoke rims from them. I will be slightly modifying these wheels to suit my build.

Here is a link to Don Scharf Automotive Don Scharf Auto

Stay tuned for the wheel mods. :drive:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSBud, an idea for you.

I did put in a sound system. I find I generally prefer to listen to the car but sometimes a little AC/DC or Sammy Hagar is inspirational.

The amp is mounted right against the back of the spare tire well and the sub enclosure fits where the spare used to be. They're definitely heavy and stupid for the track....especially because all the weight is at the back of the car.

However, both the amp and sub enclosure come straight out (with quick disconnects mainly....the big old ground wire still requires a screwdriver to remove) in about 2 minutes, so I take all the bogus weight out for track days.

Seems to be the best of both worlds, though honestly I thought I'd listent to tunes more than I actually do....I prefer the sound of 10 pistons doing their thing.

Thanks for keep us posted on the build!

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
bump
any updates? pics?
always nice watching perfectionists work
thanks
:eater: :eater: :eater:

Thanks for the patience and interest in my project. Believe it or not I have been working behind the scenes on my car. Just haven't had anything to interesting to post.

Right now I am in the process of removing all the control arm bushings and ball joints from the control arms. The bushings are cracking even though they only have 1800 miles. Must be age. Ball joints are being removed so I can work on the control arms.

I will be sand blasting and rough polishing all the control arms and spindles. I will then have them clear coated to protect them from the elements.

I will post pics of the control arms as I massage them.

Cheers
Jason

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTSBud, an idea for you.

I did put in a sound system. I find I generally prefer to listen to the car but sometimes a little AC/DC or Sammy Hagar is inspirational.

The amp is mounted right against the back of the spare tire well and the sub enclosure fits where the spare used to be. They're definitely heavy and stupid for the track....especially because all the weight is at the back of the car.

However, both the amp and sub enclosure come straight out (with quick disconnects mainly....the big old ground wire still requires a screwdriver to remove) in about 2 minutes, so I take all the bogus weight out for track days.

Seems to be the best of both worlds, though honestly I thought I'd listent to tunes more than I actually do....I prefer the sound of 10 pistons doing their thing.

Thanks for keep us posted on the build!

Thanks for the input! :2tu: But I'm still planning on having no stereo system installed.

Hopefully by not installing a stereo it will speed my project up so I can keep the viewers entertained...instead of stalling. :D

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait are you not putting a stereo in to save weight??? If thats the sace then why put Dynamat in? Thats stuff is incredibly heavy for what it is and will add a lot of weight to the car. I mean it is a race car... so why worry about sound??? For me the louder the better....

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wait are you not putting a stereo in to save weight??? If thats the sace then why put Dynamat in? Thats stuff is incredibly heavy for what it is and will add a lot of weight to the car. I mean it is a race car... so why worry about sound??? For me the louder the better....

Nope...not putting a stereo in because I have decided that I don't need one.

Dynamat is not all that heavy. Back in this thread somewhere I have documented the actual weight of Dynamat installed. :2tu:

The reason I have installed Dynamat is to make the car sound more solid instead of hollow. I'm not crazy about loud road noise but can still enjoy the LOUD exhaust!!

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW that took over an hour to read 24 pages of info!! My kids love my Viper too! My son tells everyone about the car shows I take him to and he's only 6. Great Job on the build so far! Its interesting to see the progression from day one till now and how many of your idea have changed from the start. Keep us updated I know you will! JD

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW that took over an hour to read 24 pages of info!! My kids love my Viper too! My son tells everyone about the car shows I take him to and he's only 6. Great Job on the build so far! Its interesting to see the progression from day one till now and how many of your idea have changed from the start. Keep us updated I know you will! JD

Happy to hear that you are enjoying the build. :2tu:

I honestly never expected this project to take sooooo long. But now that I am raising a family the wheels take a back seat (sorta speak). I think my oldest girl (2 years old) will be ready to start wrenchin' with dad very soon. ;) Then there will be progresss. :headbang:

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great build!!!

I had the same thing happen with my STi. An engine swap turned into two years of downtime while re-doing the entire car.

I have a simple idea for your radio. Get a small amp to power the speakers, for input use a cable that would connect to an iPod (standard input)to where the deck would go. Install a flat piece of carbon fibre for the din and the female side of the plug. Carry the iPod & cord when you want to listen to music and pull it out for the track. It would be very clean and lighter than a standard radio.

Nick

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the rims that will be installed. Forgeline SP3P wheels (gunmetal centers). Ya gotta love the height of the wheels stacked in my shop. They are HUGE!!! :D

You must be registered for see images

I admire your taste on those wheels, I think we think alike. :2tu:

Attachments

• Viper 006.jpg
    Viper 006.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Viper 007.jpg
    Viper 007.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 20

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ENGINE MOD'S - UPDATE :drive:

My initial plan was to modify my NA Gen. II engine to attain appx. 700 HP/TQ at the rear wheels. But I have since changed my mind after reviewing all the information posted by VCA members. I have decided to SUPERCHARGE my Viper. :headbang:

I have come to the conclusion that it is expensive to get big power out of the NA V10 (heads, stroker kit, intake). It appears that one of the least expensive routes is to supercharge the engine. By supercharging the engine I will attain the power numbers that I want...and more. :omg: :2tu:

The supercharger that I am planning on installing is a Paxton. Joe Donovan (PBJ) has advised me to purchase the "Tuner" kit from Paxton and he will supply the rest. PBJ will be advising me very soon with all the mods required. I really look forward to hearing from him.

I will be sending my Venom 550 heads to Greg Good to review and determine what is required to make them flow the best.

I want to thank all of the VCA members who provided me with information and advice for my engine build!

Stay tuned! :eater: :nana:

Dude, say it is not so! Keep it N/A the power band is more reliable than supercharging. N/A modified cars tend to outrun supercharge cars in the 1/4 mile. Case and point, my friend 02' GTS is supercharge and mine is N/A. he makes about 625 rwhp and I make 575 rwhp with my 02' GTS. His car has a harder time hooking the tires while my car does not. His ET was 10.45 mine was 10.23 and on the money side he spend around $15k and I spend $8k doing it myself. :headbang:

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lately I've had a chance to work on my Viper. I am currently in the process of customizing the control arms.

I have taken many pictures of the suspension pieces as I work on them and will be posting them soon. I'm just waiting for Cardomain to fix a couple of things on their website before uploading pics.

Many things have changed during this build so I thought I should list the latest.
  • engine - will stay N/A...I have decided against TT or Supercharging
  • transmission - Tremec 6060 (still waiting for the speed sensor solution)
  • wheels - will install Forgeline rims (will get the centers painted a different color)
  • brakes - Baer Eradispeed rotors with Dave's Big Brake kit upgrade
  • suspension - Aldan Eagle shocks, control arms will be polished to a brushed aluminum finish
Cheers
Jason

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm now in the process of tweaking the control arms and spindles. I am not a big fan of the grey paint that was applied by the factory to these pieces. I prefer the beautiful aluminum underneath the paint.

My plan is to remove all the grey paint including all the casting marks. Then I will polish the pieces.

Here are pictures of the front spindles before any work. Notice the 'XXXX' casting marks. These marks will be removed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here I have started to remove all the casting marks.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pics of the rear spindles during the removal of the casting marks.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ball joints and hubs removed.