99 GTS Side Cat and Muffler Delete

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock 1999 GTS ACR

Started off by deleting the cats by installing the ROE cat delete. Sound was still a little too quiet for my taste (No raspy drone sound, just a little louder from stock). So I decided to remove the side mufflers. I got one ROE pipe off the muffler but the other one refuses to come off.

I am now looking to just have a straight pipe done. I measured pipe to pipe and it's 40.5".

Recommendations for a place to purchase the pipes or have them fabricated? Also the best option for clamps. I know welding is best but I can't weld.

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have left the resonaters (thing removed) and removed the mufflers in the rear. The resonators do a good job of controlling the drone. Any local exhaust shop should be able to get you the pipes you need fairly cheap.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this same set up on my old 99 GTS. Call Lou Belanger and he should have a straight pipe for your needs. Google Belanger Viper to see his site with phone number.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be pretty loud with just straight pipes all the way through. I deleted the rear muffler and put some bullet mufflers in the side. Also running magnaflow high flow cats. Plenty loud for me, but everyone has a different ear for volume :) Any exhaust shop can weld in the pipes that you need.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just realized that you're not deleting the rear muffler, so it shouldn't be that loud...

OP
OP

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this same set up on my old 99 GTS. Call Lou Belanger and he should have a straight pipe for your needs. Google Belanger Viper to see his site with phone number.

Perfect. Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Just realized that you're not deleting the rear muffler, so it shouldn't be that loud...

Yes sir, still have the rear muffler.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your putting straight pipe see if you can get chamber pipe they put then on corvette side pipes and 69 camaros !!!!!!!

OP
OP

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to do it all on my own. All parts were found at local car part stores. Very happy with the sound and performance. Car feels alive now. Cost me around $85.

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What parts did you use exactly? Also, what did you use to cutoff the stock stuff?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read about this but couldn't find a write up or parts involved.

It was on here, but I guess it is under "members only" section. I copied and pasted an insert I saved. You drill out the holes with the bit then use the rivet nut tool with the proper size rivet nuts. I got the tool from Northern tools. I didnt use all the washers on the list.

[FONT=&quot]List of tools/parts for Viper sill modification: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]18 ea. steel rivet nuts size 10-32 cad plated[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]6ea. stainless #10 flat washers, 1/2 in. o. d.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]12ea. stainless #10 flat washers, 3/4 in. o. d.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]18ea. stainless #10 lock washers[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]18ea. stainless #10-32 x 3/4 in. stainless button head machine screws[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]19/64in. drill bit[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Marson thread setter tool[/FONT]

OP
OP

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Speedracervr4!

What parts did you use exactly? Also, what did you use to cutoff the stock stuff?

Used a sawzall. Purchased these parts:

10ft of 2.5" Aluminum Piping

Two 2.5" to 2.25" Exhaust Pipe Reducers

Two 2.5" Exhaust Pipe Adapters

Four 2.5" Torco Easy Seal Clamps

Two 2.25" Torco Easy Seal Clamps

Two 2.5" Clamps from Aluminum Pipe to 2.5"/2.25" Reducer (Not Pictured)

High Tempature Exhaust Silicone Sealant

Last edited:

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long do you think the whole project took you? What brand high temp sealant did you use? I will be tackling this within the first month of owning the GTS for sure :)

Also, how hard is it to remove the factory side sills?

OP
OP

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long do you think the whole project took you? What brand high temp sealant did you use? I will be tackling this within the first month of owning the GTS for sure :)

Also, how hard is it to remove the factory side sills?

I would estimate total hours of actual labor to be around 3 hours if you know what your doing and have all tools and parts required.

I took my time because it was the first time removing the side sills and reinstalling them. Straight forward process. I called multiple shops in my area and they were all giving me a labor only estimate of $500, that's with welding.

Hardest part was getting the clamps air tight. Which is why I used high temp sealant. If you make sure you have little to no exhaust leak, you wont smell any fumes while driving the car.

Permatex Muffler & Tailpipe Sealer was the best I could find at local shops.

*********I got some *** in regards to this.**********

I did use a clamp where the 2.5" aluminum pipe meets the 2.5"/2.25" reducer. It is just not in the picture. I didn't need it because I was able to get the reducer extremely tight and secure on the pipe, but added a clamp anyways.

Make sure when you place the clamps on the pipe or reducer, you line it up so that all pressure is being transferred to where both pipes meet, rather then where the reducer/adapter end/start. This will insure the best seal possible.

Last edited:

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post a sound clip of the exhaust? I'd love to hear it!

Does it sound "tinny" at all!?

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same mod, but you will also have to get the Mopar Off Road ECU, or the check engine light will come on. The off road ECU is not looking for the rear O2 sensor for Cat efficiency.:2tu:

OP
OP

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same mod, but you will also have to get the Mopar Off Road ECU, or the check engine light will come on. The off road ECU is not looking for the rear O2 sensor for Cat efficiency.:2tu:

Yeah if it comes on I will get the O2 simulators. Still hasn't come on even though its a 99.

Can you post a sound clip of the exhaust? I'd love to hear it!

Does it sound "tinny" at all!?

Sound clips are not that great, you really need to hear it in person. I will try and get some with my Canon 60D. No tinny sound.

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear some sound clips, so excited to do this mod!

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock mufflers? Can't wait to do this, maybe even next weekend :)

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect, I'll post a thread when I do mine with pics/vid as well :)

OP
OP

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I deleted the rear muffler yesterday. The car now is way too loud for the streets (as expected). Can anyone recommend a good side resonator?

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you like how it sounded better with just the side cat and resonator delete? Might do it this weekend.

OP
OP

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I did. It was loud but still tolerable. With no mufflers/resonators/cats, it's way to loud. Sounds like a monster but just too loud.

I may just add the side resonators back on.

Did you like how it sounded better with just the side cat and resonator delete? Might do it this weekend.

OP
OP

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On deceleration (with no cats, no resonators, only rear muffler) the car sounds a little funny.

I think optimal setup (using stock components) would be cats and rear muffler removed.

Going to do this next.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper