'99 RT/10 New Owner Questions in St. Louis

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
\'99 RT/10 New Owner Questions in St. Louis

Okay, I have a brand new (well, it looks like it anyway) black '99 RT/10 sitting in my garage as of Sunday afternoon. I must say it certainly adds a touch of class to the premesis.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions I either thought of or was asked by others during the 300 mile drive home yesterday.

1. What was the original window sticker price of this particular car without any options? Options/accessories include A/C, cognac leather, hard and soft tops, Corsa cat-back exhaust.

2. What is the actual top speed this can go? The owner's manual say both the RT and GTS are 450 hp but the RT top speed is 175 mph while the GTS is 180 mph. Why the difference?

3. This one is mainly for St. Louis area owners. Do you have a front license plate on your Viper? If you do not, how often are you stopped/ticketed? I bought one of those quick clamp-on backets from partsrack.com but I think it looks much better without any front plate.

4. How do you deal with the instant celebrity status at every gas station you stop at? Just kidding on this one - it's actually kind of fun.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'99 RT/10 New Owner Questions in St. Louis

I am from Belleville which is right across the river. the answers to your questions.
1. not idea? sorry
2. It depends on how your car is modded, but i've know of several viper doing 190+ easy.
3. No i HAD a front plate and i took it off right away. i think the front plate looks like crap. I know alot of the Gateway VCA members dont have a plate either. I have never been pulled over for it (knock on wood)BUT its a risk you take.
I also have a 99 RT/10 i'm sure one day i'll see you around, maybe next time i'm in town. If your looking for a viper tuner Joe Donavan at (PBJ) is one of the best. He has done alot of the work on my car. Hes an awesome guy and will definately help you in any way he can. I HIGHLY suggest him! Enjoy being a celebrity, and welcome to te family!

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I see your from wildwoood? Michael (RX VIPER) lives out there. He has a badass blue and white GTS! Very cool guy!
I think you'll like the gateway VCA members their a bunch of great people!

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats on the purchase, you should definitely join the Gateway club! Regarding your front plate question, almost everyone around the area runs their Viper without a front plate. I think hardly anyone has had issues being stopped/ticketed.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Welcome to the best damn car club on the planet. Make sure you get with the Gateway guys. Top speed difference is probably due to a little better aeroodynamics on the GTS. If the seller knows what dealer the car came from you may be able to get a copy of the window sticker. Supposodly only the selling dealer can procure it and some are ignorant or unwilling to participate. Woodhouse and Roanoke sell so many cars you may get lucky if it's one of theirs. Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse or John Gastman at Roanoke might be kind enough to look up sticker price also.

www.Woodhouse.com
www.romocoinc.com

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeff,
Welcome to the club! Shoot me a PM and I'll send you my number. BTW, there are a number of us in Wildwood. I'm at Clayton and 109. Perhaps an introductory cocktail is in order!

Dave
Gateway President

OP
OP
R

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dave,

I don't know what it is with me and being able to send a PM on here but I've tried it twice to two different people and it's not working. I'm not a novice with online forums, just new to this one.

My email is roadijeff at charter dot net. Looking forward to meeting some of the other owners in the area.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congratulations on the purchase of your new vehicle. You are in for a lot of fun! As for your questions, here are a few answers for you:

What was the original window sticker price of this particular car without any options? Options/accessories include A/C, cognac leather, hard and soft tops, Corsa cat-back exhaust.
<font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>
<font color="red">If I recall correctly, the original window sticker was $65,725 for the RT/10 in 1999 plus about $2500 for the Cognac Interior option, and maybe $3000 or so for the soft top. The Corsa exhaust was aftermarket and not an option with the car and that runs about $1000 plus labor. </font>

What is the actual top speed this can go? The owner's manual say both the RT and GTS are 450 hp but the RT top speed is 175 mph while the GTS is 180 mph. Why the difference?

<font color="red"> Simply because the GTS has a fixed top and is a bit more aerodynamic. </font>

This one is mainly for St. Louis area owners. Do you have a front license plate on your Viper? If you do not, how often are you stopped/ticketed? I bought one of those quick clamp-on backets from partsrack.com but I think it looks much better without any front plate.

<font color="red">Not going to lie, the car looks much better without a front plate but depending on areas, it can cause trouble. I know around my area, KNOCK ON WOOD, they do not really hassle me about it. When I first purchased the car they did but now that everyone in the town pretty much knows about the car (since they see it often), and who owns it, they leave me alone. </font>

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As stated before, most Gateway members don't have a front plate and I know of only 1 instance where an owner was specifically pulled over and ticketed for no plate. It sounds like the cop just wasn't a very nice person - many cops actually stop by our gatherings to shoot the breeze. Enjoy and join the club!

Terry

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The owners manual says 175 and 180 respectivly...But thats being pretty coservative.

Most magazines GPS'd the rt-10 to do 175-180 mph bone stock and 186-191 mph for the GTS bone stock.

So if any one asked I would say that my 99 rt 10 has a top speed of 177 mph. Still very impressive. Especialy for a 7 year old convertable/targa.

Im just happy that Dodge is ery honest with their numbers. You really could reach a top speed of 175 mph in your rt/10. You'd probaly eclipse that mark..

But try getting a stock C5 vette to hot the 176 mph that GM claims..Or a C6 hitting the 186 mph mark that GM claims. All magazines fell a solid 5 mph of these claimed marks. Even the new C6Z06 that has a GM claimed top speed of 198 mph hasnt been able to best 192 mph from all the magazines that have tested it.

So I say to to Dodge for putting out real ( even conservative ) numbers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32