998 Question

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about the 998 recall lately. I live in SC and the closest person that I know of and would trust to do this is Tom Sessions. The only problem is he is 6 hours away. So my thought is how long do I have before Dodge will not cover the recall to be done? I know that I should really find a way to get this ASAP. If you know of anyone that is close to SC that has done them please let me know.

Thanks
John

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about the 998 recall lately. I live in SC and the closest person that I know of and would trust to do this is Tom Sessions. The only problem is he is 6 hours away. So my thought is how long do I have before Dodge will not cover the recall to be done? I know that I should really find a way to get this ASAP. If you know of anyone that is close to SC that has done them please let me know.

Thanks
John

I think Dodge will continue to cover the recall but Tom Session, Woodhouse or Tator may be able to speak to this with more knowledge than I. I have checked around and I think it will be worth getting the car to Tom. I know it seems like a ways but I think it is well worth it.

I still need to get it done also.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '97 that needs it and Chuck said it would be still covered, so it seems to be indefinate.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I ask what the "998 recall" is and how do I know if mine had been done prior to my purchase? Thanks.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is how I understand safety recalls, but someone with better understanding can feel free to correct me. Being a safety recall, it should never expire. However, if Dodge quits making the parts for the recall, there's nothing you'll be able to do. How long will they make the recall kits is the question.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom did mine,
great job. Also looked around under car and pointed out some other little issues. If you are 6 hours away, just do it..... I am 13 hours away......and it was worth it.!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Go to Tom...and by the way...there are some folks who "wonder" about the yellow 2001's that do not have the triangular plates that brace the front end...this matters only if you track the car. And, YES, I know that 2001's were not "officially" in the recall.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Question for all of you.. How can you tell if the recall has been done. I have a 96 GTS.
Thanks in advance.

Robert

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for all of you.. How can you tell if the recall has been done. I have a 96 GTS.
Thanks in advance.

Robert

One way is to call a Dodge dealer your friendly with and have them run the VIN through Dodge, it will tell you if you have an open recall on it. The 998 is done under warranty for free so it shows up in the records as open or having been performed.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thanks
John

Do you, or are you planning on, putting your car on the track. If not, I would consider not bothering. I think the real issue is with stress cracking on the front frame horns when tracked with slicks. (I'll be corrected shortly, so stand by.)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
To determine whether YOUR Viper has had the 998 Recall:

1. Enter the last 8 digits of your VIN on this Dodge site:

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp?screenName=recall&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29

AND/OR

2. Get under it and look for two triangular brackets in the front the steering rack crossmember and a single bracket added on the left side of the differential...see copy of actual recall instructions below

Steering rack:

You must be registered for see images

Inspect the Differential Mount:

More detail on Differential Mount:

Hours associated with each part of the repair - FYI

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be making a trip to the Atlanta area at some point to fix two 96 rts that were done incorrrectly.And take care of any other needs for the folks in that area.I may be able to work you in on the trip.Not sure when it may be.I am heading to Viper Days finals in Topeka Tuesday and won't be back in the shop untill the 31st.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To determine whether YOUR Viper has had the 998 Recall:

1. Enter the last 8 digits of your VIN on this Dodge site:

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp?screenName=recall&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29

AND/OR

2. Get under it and look for two triangular brackets in the front the steering rack crossmember and a single bracket added on the left side of the differential...see copy of actual recall instructions below

Steering rack:

Inspect the Differential Mount:

More detail on Differential Mount:

Hours associated with each part of the repair - FYI

Thank You for the link. At least I know it's been done. :2tu: