A/C Compressor Issues

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Backstory: Gen 2, car hasn't been driven or cranked in a year due to building a TT system. Car has been up on jackstands for the majority of this time.

I sat the car back down on the ground two days ago. I noticed yesterday that there was a puddle on the ground of neon yellow/green oil directly under the compressor. I reached my hand under the car and yep the compressor was covered in oil. I'm going to get it back up in the air this weekend and check it out. But my question is could this just be an o-ring failure or is it possible that something failed in the actual compressor that could have made it puke up all the oil?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not likely the compressor, more likely an "o" ring. I am one to always grab the low hanging fruit first ( meaning the easy stuff) I would change the o rings and vacuum down the system and see if it holds. If so, recharge and go, if not time to look into more expensive options.

OP
OP
S

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got the car up in the air last night to find out that the oil is coming out of the front of the compressor. Guess I'm buying a new compressor now.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hopefully the oil did not contaminate the rest of the system(filter,lines,etc) or it will become a bigger job than just a compressor swap

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have no idea how the A-C system works do you?
since the oil is leaking out of the compressor these there is a possibility that the sytem was open to atmosphere that in turn could of introduced moisture into the entire system which bring up the possibility of replacing the dryer as well, there is also the possibility that if a internal seal had let go because of the lack of oil and heat buildup that oil may have made it into the rest of the system and will also contaminate the dryer/lines as it would stay in the lowest part of the condenser. I am of course hopefull for this fellow that it was just a seal leak and that with a new compressor/rings plus a nitrogen pressure check with a deep vacuum any other contaminants will be drawn out and not cause any future problems in his system since all I was aware of was that there was oil coming out of the front of the compressor somewhere

21bubba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's possible that I'm going to have green eggs and ham for breakfast, but not likely.
You certainly understand that as long as there is a positive pressure in the system that there will be no introduction of moisture into the system. You also certainly know that there is oil in a vapor state throughout the system.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's possible that I'm going to have green eggs and ham for breakfast, but not likely.
You certainly understand that as long as there is a positive pressure in the system that there will be no introduction of moisture into the system. You also certainly know that there is oil in a vapor state throughout the system.
Do not have enough information to determine if the oil leak was just from sitting over the winter or was noticed after being driven or where on the compressor the oil leak was noticed(hose fittings,pulley seal) I believe the compressor cycles on defrost mode so the owner may not have been aware of a leak/compressor problem until the puddle was noticed so the compressor may have had other issues other than a external leak and there may have been internal overheating as well. compressor could have been running dry for some time and this could contaminate the system other than moisture ie if the compressor was to hot from lack of lubrication then the liquid refrigerant can detonate inside the compressor and fine metal particle and contaminated oil could be distributed through the system. hopefully it is just a small compressor leak than can be fixed with just a compressor/seal/dryer swap and of course the proper recharging procedure

21bubba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re read sentence one, post one. Then reread post three in it's entirety. Base your opinion on stated facts. Every mole hill is not a mountain.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re read sentence one, post one. Then reread post three in it's entirety. Base your opinion on stated facts. Every mole hill is not a mountain.
Thank you for your viper alley quotes, and thank you for an actual solution to the individuals problems as you apparently can guarantee that the system is still holding charge and has not been compromised in any way shape or form. I of course would like it to be an easy fix for a fellow viper owner but would like him to be informed , he does state that the car had been up in the air the majority of the time but just noticed a puddle so based on this I would surmise that 1) a seal or gasket has let go but do not know enough to determine if the leak is pressure driven or is just a weeping gasket and if it is pressure driven then the system may be exposed to atmosphere 2. why is the compressor oil neon colour to begin with unless there was dye introduced to diagnose a prior problem, most compressor oil I have seen is clear so there may be other issues in the system but thanks for your positive comments and a definitive solution for a fellow viper owner

21bubba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm done. By your logic a person should replace their engine every time it needs the oil changed.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You need to charge the system and leak test it, I have had only very few compressor front seal leaks over the years. Most likely its the high pressure to compressor hose or the o-rings.If its the pump, That can be fixed. Might be cheaper to get the new compressor from Lesser.

OP
OP
S

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to charge the system and leak test it, I have had only very few compressor front seal leaks over the years. Most likely its the high pressure to compressor hose or the o-rings.If its the pump, That can be fixed. Might be cheaper to get the new compressor from Lesser.

Dan, that's what I thought too. But the high and low pressure hoses on the expansion valve are bone dry. The only place I see any oil is coming out of the front of the compressor.

It's all really weird. I haven't cranked the car in a year and it pops before I even get a chance to crank it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi