A/C control problem

Ag's'95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a search but not found the answers, so I ask the following. I have a '95 that up until a couple of days ago the A/C was working great. Then one day nothing but hot air. I noticed last night will driving it that when the control knob is in the "off" position I am getting hot air blowing on my legs. The fan is not running but when the car is moving I get the hot air. It seems like a damper is stuck open or in the wrong position possibly but did not know were to start. Can someone help with were to start the diagnostic process for this?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check that the AC has enough refrigerant. I am assuming you know how to do this. If not, you can do a search on "problem" "AC" etc., and there are a lot of good posts on how to check and refill. Then try to find out why you are getting air when the fan knob is in the off position. Under the hood, on top of the heater box, next to a couple of hoses is a switch attached to a cable. This should move back and forth with the turining on/off of the heat.

OP
OP
A

Ag's'95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did find the posts for refrigerant and you are correct there are a bunch with good info. I think it has to do with the 'switch' you referred to. With everything in the off position, I should not be getting any air blowing into the car from the outside, correct? Does this cable control other doors/dampers or are there some additinal switches I should look at as well?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought....but make sure that the little black hose that goes to the right side intake is connected. That is the vacuum ffed for the HVAC.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a thought....but make sure that the little black hose that goes to the right side intake is connected. That is the vacuum ffed for the HVAC.
I second that - this is your vacuum line that moves all of the vent flaps around - if its off, you'll get hot air even with a perfectly functioning A/C - mine fell off on my '95 a number of times - it fell off both times I spun on the track, for instance.