A gen 2 safety issue that you should all know about and a public service from me

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been hearing in quite a few conversations lately and seeing on the site that there are still a lot of gen2 owners that don't know about the power steering pulley and bracket problem.
There have been many a Viper driver stranded on the side of the road by either that plastic power steering pulley or cast power steering pump bracket breaking. The worst case is that you are driving hard when it comes apart and this could very realistically cause a crash.

These will all fail eventually, it is not a matter of if,it is when. They where way under engineered and it is even worse if you happen to have a supercharger on your car.

Being as how there are not many places that you can take your Viper to be worked on in the Northwest, even Timberline in Portland is slotted to be closed.

I am offering a solution.

I am so concerned about the real safety risk to my fellow Viper drivers that if you buy the parts and can make it up to Mt Vernon on a weekend.
I will install it for you for free!!

Thats right, no charge! I enjoy working cars anyways. As many of you know I do all of my own work on my two Vipers and I have years of experience working on all sorts of vehicles.

You can get the kit that fixes all the problems from Roe Racing for about $120.

I have the special puller required to remove your old pulley and press your new one on.
It will take less than an hour to fix your car.

So if you have been procrastinating or you did not know what to do about it or if you are just learning about this you have no more excuses! :2tu:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Heather:)
I dont do much work for free, like I said it only takes about an hour.:D

I just think this is very important.

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard a lot about the power steering pulley and I guess it is time for me to get the replacement pulley and bracket and install it. I would be glad to help with the work if it would be OK. I had to change out the belt tensioner up at Johnstone Ridge on St. Helens last summer, so Iam able to do some mechanical stuff. I am sure I could help accomplish a lot of the work. I don't have the puller, so I haven't been ready to change it out. I would be glad to furnish some liquid refresahments for your guidance and help.

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the power steering pully explode while I was driving a ROE supercharger ACR. Scared the daylights out of me and what made it worse was the fact that I was driving a customers car! My car is a gen I and has a steel pulley already and I'm upgrading the bracket. The pulley on the Viper is the same as on the caravan and the pickups! It should not be on a VIPER EVER!!!

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem Richard. If you want to help that would be great.
Get your hands on the parts and we can hook up some weekend soon. Just let me know!

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On May 22, I spent the day in the shop at Timberline Dodge in Portland, instead of running with Lotuses at PIR. But that's another story! :rolleyes:

While I was there, getting expert service from Ken Klickman (503-736-5183 direct) and his staff (Stew and others), I saw the pulley and bracket come in for a Roe supercharged Viper that was already in the shop. Very nice billet parts. I'm planning on making the change myself.

Timberline Dodge is being closed as a Dodge dealer, but they plan on trying to stay open as a service-only facility. Ken is the Shop Foreman for the Viper department (yes, they have an entire department for Vipers, with their own service building). Ken has been a Viper Tech since the beginning, and is mentoring and training other certified Viper Techs.

I'm telling you all this, because, if you live in the south end, it might be faster to get to Ken's shop than to get to Bellingham - and they will be open. And if they are going to be successful in making a go at being a service-only shop, they're going to need our business. So, if this applies to you, give Ken a call, and tell him what you want, and when you can be there. You'll get red-carpet service like I did!

Steve

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear that Ken and Timberline will still be with us.
I have heard nothing but good about both of them.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Clint!

I'll be ordering my kit soon from TATOR'S!

I don't drive my snake much and when I do I dont ride it hard.

I want to get this done before the next VOI.

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know if Tators has a kit?
All the kits I have heard of are aftermarket, not Mopar parts.
If he cant help, get a a hold of Roe.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes please, I could do with the upgrade, So do I have to pop over to you, or are you coming over here :D

Mark
:uk:

92 Le mans Replica, creampuff GTS 2000

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gosh- Now to get the free work I have to go buy a genII again!

I'll be careful and find one that does NOT have the upgrade!

PBR
(you KNOW what goes here!)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Way to go Clint. Mine's all done or I'd insist that you ocme to Father's day car show in Mission with your puller. I busted the bracket but couldn't find the right puller to get the pulley off, until it disintigrated on the highway. Being a Good Viper at least it broke down in front of THE mechanic's house (that just happened to have the puller, be at home and have the parts (3/8" ready rod) required to re-instal the new metal pulley.

Ted

windyridge4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Clint - Don't know if it applies to my car or not since it's the weird 1996 Gen 1.5 . I planned on taking it to Cam this Spring for it's other work so will make a note for him to check it out.

Thanks so much for the info! You already saved me a ton of money with the tip on recharging the AC! Did it myself for under $20!

Karen

OP
OP
C

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Clint - Don't know if it applies to my car or not since it's the weird 1996 Gen 1.5 . I planned on taking it to Cam this Spring for it's other work so will make a note for him to check it out.

Thanks so much for the info! You already saved me a ton of money with the tip on recharging the AC! Did it myself for under $20!

Karen

Good question on the gen 1.5 but I'm willing to bet that since it has the gen 1 engine its OK!

Glad I could help with the AC!:)

Last edited:

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have replaced my plastic power steering pulley and braket.

Since I have a GEN II (1997) is the cast power steering pump bracket a concern?

Rudeboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got a day off work and got around to replacing my bracket and pulley. Took me about 3 hours but that included 2 trips to Harbor Freight Tools :) The hardest part was pulling the old broken pulley off. The old pulley was almost sheared 100% off the shaft.

Peter

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clint you are really a great supporter of the club and it is appreciated~! At your recommendation, I bought the kit and it was installed by Lux Performance.

The other thing that people should probably be aware of is overflow of the power steering, again Roe racing has a locking cap with an overflow tube. If you drive a Gen 1 or 2 ******* the track you can boil the power steering fluid and the cap can either crack or come off. If this happens at a minimum you end up with power steering fluid in lots of places or worse, it is highly flammable and may hit the exhaust headers...

I did boil mine at Miller Motorsports Park, thank goodness I had the overflow.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, been reading about the problem, but didn't realize that I'm at risk! ALL Gen II Snakes? Dave, did you do yours yet? I can order the parts (with a little guideance) and bring you a six pack if you're willing to lead me.