a little info on 2014

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As has been said, Viper is a niche product. It is also the highest priced of it's direct competitors. Performance wise it is an equal, depending on who is driving and who is reviewing. I think pricing and the POOR (generally) dealer network - for an $100k+ car, will hamper it. Time will tell but, I can't see a "market" for more than 1200 cars a year. BTY, I've had six Vipers beginning with an 99 ACR thru the new TrakPac car I have in my garage now. Allan

Agreed with the max market of 1200 cars per year. The issues been beat and I don't enjoy stirring the *** any longer...but without something to blow people out of the water such as 700+HP, etc. at launch I don't see the Viper picking up much market share. It should still outsell the Gen III/IV. The quality upgrade is great but the reality is it was necessary to keep the brand ALIVE. It was not enough to launch the brand forward. Then again, time will tell.

V

VCA Forum Staff

We have done a little bit of editing and cleaning up of this thread. If we can go back to the original subject and keep the name calling to a minimal, it would be very much appreciated.

- The VCA Forum Staff

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is what keeps the Viper desirable and exclusive..the limited production #'s. I say keep at 1,500 units

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a good point, but the SRT engineers are quite adement that they don't believe it is necessary.....

It is not only a matter of necessity, it is a matter of Personalization . I am convinced that the first thing cave people did upon taking over a cave was to move a rock from one side to the other. Not out of necessity but wanting to Personalize the cave, to make it unique so to speak. Many modifications are made for that reason. Of course there are those who make modifications because they use the performance but there are many who do not use the performance but want the mod for Personalization.

At SEMA, SRT announced that two companies, Arrow and Arrington, will be offering reprograming service according to Viper, Jan/Feb 2013 issue.

Does that help the issue?:2tu:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather see the production go to 3-5k per year if the market supports it. Viper parts/service would be better with a larger market. That's still a pretty exclusive market.

ResumeSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Allpar, 2014MY projected breakout is:

084 - Jul '13
298 - Aug '13
276 - Sep '13
311 - Oct '13
239 - Nov '13
204 - Dec '13
251 - Jan '14
240 - Feb '14
288 - Mar '14
276 - Apr '14
254 - May '14
252 - Jun '14
032 - Jul '14

Total: 3,005

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Resumespeed,
Glad to see you back on here!
Guys, Resume always had some great info to post on other forums too (re : Jeep SRT8), as he has some kind of "Direct Connection"

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so it looks like srt has made only 500 vipers total this year so far. i guess the total for 2013 will be 800ish

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
of the 500 made, how many were custom orders? 200?

If they only build 800 for this year, its really cool to have gotten one.

Reaction score
If they build 3000 in the next year, there is no way all will be retailed. Discounts will begin to show up in the next 3 months. Dealers who stock beyond firm orders will be stuck. We have seen it before. One of two things need to happen: Economy gets really strong in Viper's Target Market or, "content" is increased dramatically ie, Paddle shifting, Ceramics, HP, and MOST importantly Dealer Service capability. I hope all happen. Allan

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, they are going to start building 2014's in July and it is June on Saturday and I still don't have my 2013 yet....REAL NICE SRT!!!
According to Allpar, 2014MY projected breakout is:

084 - Jul '13
298 - Aug '13
276 - Sep '13
311 - Oct '13
239 - Nov '13
204 - Dec '13
251 - Jan '14
240 - Feb '14
288 - Mar '14
276 - Apr '14
254 - May '14
252 - Jun '14
032 - Jul '14

Total: 3,005

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion the only way SRT will get bigger numbers than in the past is to go AUTOTRANS like the other super cars. You cannot buy a manual Ferrari. The new auto trans are much faster shifting with no missed shifts. Many will rev match when down shifting. The Viper race car is an automatic trans, that's how much faster the new auto trans are. SRT will have to get with the program in spite of those of you who feel that an autotrans Viper is some sort of sacrilege.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my humble opinion the only way SRT will get bigger numbers than in the past is to go AUTOTRANS like the other super cars. You cannot buy a manual Ferrari. The new auto trans are much faster shifting with no missed shifts. Many will rev match when down shifting. The Viper race car is an automatic trans, that's how much faster the new auto trans are. SRT will have to get with the program in spite of those of you who feel that an autotrans Viper is some sort of sacrilege.

I think the sports car community as a whole is being split along the transmission divide. Ferrari has gotten rid of the manual box, Lamborghini's take rate on their manuals were no better than any typical auto manufacturer, and now the Porsche GT3 has eliminated the 3rd pedal. I've got friends who keep talking about how they like rowing their gears and how it makes them feel more connected to the machine.

Personally I can take it or leave it, but I just want faster, more reliable and not priced out the asp. Gimme the flappy paddles. :D

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just don't get rid of the manual. I could care less if a auto is a lil faster, I love to shift my cars.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a few years, when all sports cars will have auto trans for this or that reason, the 'old school' manual only shifting Viper will stand out of the crowd as the REAL THING !

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
During my tour at CAAP last Friday, the plant manager said on an average day they crank out 7-8 cars. On a good day, 10 cars. They are shooting for 800 cars for MY2013. It will be a low production year, but we '13 owners are probably okay with that :)

Tony

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
During my tour at CAAP last Friday, the plant manager said on an average day they crank out 7-8 cars. On a good day, 10 cars. They are shooting for 800 cars for MY2013. It will be a low production year, but we '13 owners are probably okay with that :)

Tony

I'm hoping management is OK with that. If I projected 2000 units for the first year and only managed to make (deliver and sell) 40% of the total there'd be blood on the streets. Really hoping they can make it up in 2014 but how can they make 3000 cars with a staff that ostensibly makes 2000 cars in a good year, let alone sell them?

If those Allpar numbers aren't totally out to lunch, July till October are overproduction months to catch up on 2013 orders (wave 2 orders that got bumped?), July13 is +52 units over July14, and I'll guesstimate they are normally targeting Tony's 8-10 cars per day (management's anticipated numbers). 9 cars a day, 20 working days a month, 11 months plus a few cars in July equals about 2000 units a year.

So if they are cranking out 7-8 cars right now, they will need to CRANK out 15 cars a day to hit the production numbers they are looking for. Double what they are doing now. Which means more training, more staff, or more overtime. I wouldn't want to be the messenger for the forecasting costs on this one.

I'm really rooting for the home team but I'm thinking that senior management just got some extra grey hairs, and the blood pressure medication all the way down the executive chain is being prescribed liberally. :crazy2:

Marketing and sales must be besides themselves too, because the Viper doesn't just live in a vacuum...there's a whole list of competitors that are pushing just as hard if not harder (like it or not, the Z06/ZR1 are competitors, with new C7s coming out soon), and they don't have to re-prime any of their production pumps. The more I think this through...the less I want to. Makes me sad.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO the ZR1/Z06 will be out by end of 2014

Even Porsche has abandoned the turbo S as a "end of a generation" designation special model and is cranking it out a year after the 991 debuted.

Competition for super fast high end cars is extremely competitive right now. SRT has a tough road ahead. The ZR1/Z06 is going to be a monster by all accounts. SRT needs to start pushing harder with production, to me they are just falling behind and that won't bode well for the long run.

So many good choices out there right now, if SRT is concerned with building special editions for senior staff and letting paying customers sit, many more will jump ship for other fun toys.

Great time to be a car guy.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping management is OK with that. If I projected 2000 units for the first year and only managed to make (deliver and sell) 40% of the total there'd be blood on the streets. Really hoping they can make it up in 2014 but how can they make 3000 cars with a staff that ostensibly makes 2000 cars in a good year, let alone sell them?

If those Allpar numbers aren't totally out to lunch, July till October are overproduction months to catch up on 2013 orders (wave 2 orders that got bumped?), July13 is +52 units over July14, and I'll guesstimate they are normally targeting Tony's 8-10 cars per day (management's anticipated numbers). 9 cars a day, 20 working days a month, 11 months plus a few cars in July equals about 2000 units a year.

So if they are cranking out 7-8 cars right now, they will need to CRANK out 15 cars a day to hit the production numbers they are looking for. Double what they are doing now. Which means more training, more staff, or more overtime. I wouldn't want to be the messenger for the forecasting costs on this one.

I'm really rooting for the home team but I'm thinking that senior management just got some extra grey hairs, and the blood pressure medication all the way down the executive chain is being prescribed liberally. :crazy2:

Marketing and sales must be besides themselves too, because the Viper doesn't just live in a vacuum...there's a whole list of competitors that are pushing just as hard if not harder (like it or not, the Z06/ZR1 are competitors, with new C7s coming out soon), and they don't have to re-prime any of their production pumps. The more I think this through...the less I want to. Makes me sad.

I'm more optimistic. The products that I've designed start with setbacks and low throughput. If the core design is solid and the manufacturing engineers and team are sharp, the process will stabilize and they will be finding ways to pump them out. If the market demand is there and the Viper's profit margins are good, they'll figure out a way to meet demand. The key is demand more than current factory output.

I think its too early for any of us to project how well the Viper will sell. Patience and let the chips fall as they may. Either way, I'm not missing out in owning one of these track-dominating works of art.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chorps talked some sense so did Venom V, you bet your ass I'm not missing out on owning one of these **** beasts!

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but 2004 Viper model year had a little over 3,000 units, and for the Gen 1 1994 had the most model units (Maybe close to 3,000). Looks like this happens every 10 years with Vipers.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the best Viper yet by quite a bit so the market will probably get better more than you think. I hope verts are in that number. I can't see the big deal about the computer cracking - doesn't stop me (but the price tag is daunting). The higher numbers would improve the chances of the computer getting cracked though.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony

We used 220 work days a year as a calculating base for production at my pre retirement job. That means 1540 to 2200 cars a calendar year at the 7 to 10 cars a day figure. Recalling what Ralph has said on several occasions, that's the profitability range for the Gen V Viper with the lower figure near the break even point. It is somewhat supplier restricted at this point. Still, I wouldn't like to see more than 2200 cars a year. If they go to 12 cars a day, they willl be up to 2640 cars a calendar year. That should be the maximum!!!
Besides the production issues, the whole SRT line and its dealers have a learning curve to get through. That will take a bit of time. IMO, right now the creative concepts are ahead of the execution ability. But I believe SRT will learn and get better at the entire job. The Gen V will evolve. Don't forget, the Gen V was specifically executed in a manner to enable profitable production of lots of special models over time. For sure a convert, performance model, and probably an automatic trans model. Small lots of various models.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_