a little info on 2014

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to a reliable source (allpar member oh20) SRT plans to build 3000 vipers for the 2014 MY to make up for fewer units produced in the 2013 MY.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lets see ...... they were going to make 2400 in 13, but may make 600ish. so to forecast 3000 will end up being 800ish. lol

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^ there were supposed to be two waves, 800 and 800 for MY13 I thought.

I mean, I don't really care when it comes down to it. I just want the damned car.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see the desire for 3000 Vipers in 1 year. It's not like they are hard to get now..

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3000 total, in one calendar year, is optimistic. Don't want to sound like a hater, but the Viper is not that good. IMHO, they still have a long way to go.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want it to be "that good" Keep it to 1000 or less a year and I will be happy! I love the cult car!

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the aftermarket still can't tune these cars, no way will they sell 3,000 of them in 2014.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT can mass produce the challenger and jeep gc...keep the snake at 1500 units annually max imo

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would mean CAAP would need to finish 11-12 cars every single weekday for the entire year...

Or if you think the factory should be closed for some federal holidays adjust the average up accordingly.

Not buying it

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes it's better to ignore threads, posts, and posters that you don't like rather than add fuel to a fire, fan the flames... and risk ruining someone else's thread.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep 'em rare, but build enough so that some of us might still be able to cherry-pick a low miles garage queen after a few years.

Perhaps the best market/production comparison would be Nissan GT-R's, at about 1500/year IIRC...

Rich

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you need to dial down the emotion...only one other person commented in joking on the credentials thing, because it is a rumour. Everyone else let it slide...I suggest that you be the bigger man and let it go too, kind of a pun intended there... :)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would mean CAAP would need to finish 11-12 cars every single weekday for the entire year...

Or if you think the factory should be closed for some federal holidays adjust the average up accordingly.

Not buying it

Yea I agree, tough to think they'd hit this. And as for selling them .. I don't see it. Viper is, as was put above, a cult car. I know SRT seems to want to more mainstream it, but if they're successful it'll take quite a while. It's history is an unforgiving beast of a car designed for the daring & old schoolers. Now, I'm fine with that, 3 vipers indicates this. But, it's not IMO about whether it's "good enough" (we can all debate that to death), it's developing a new image that's a cross between Viper and Vette. (anyone cringing yet? lol, sorry) But that's what it'll take to move thousands and thousands in a yr. Persoanlly I don't care how many they make as long as they make one for me.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LoL, welcome to the gen5 section. I said this months ago, for some reason the gen5 forum is a bit more violent than the others. I've been smacked around in here & I'm a helluva nice guy, IMO. FWIW, I love the C7, there I said it, although not the vert so much. It's a tough crowd in here sometimes, I mostly cruise the other forums myself because of it & I'm a tough old fart. At least we all love cars, if not each other. Haha

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LoL, welcome to the gen5 section. I said this months ago, for some reason the gen5 forum is a bit more violent than the others. I've been smacked around in here & I'm a helluva nice guy, IMO.

LOL! Aint that the truth, the Gen V section is pretty rough. I don't know if its the new peeps, the pent up frustration of waiting on a shiny new toy or what, but it's comical at times!

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Intersting ....Ferrari just announced the exact opposite. They are going to reduce their production to make the brand even more exclusive. More demand than supply does make sense to make it more appealing and exotic.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT has stated that they plan to build to market. They will not build to stockpile.

In other words, if the market place dictates that volume, they will attempt to meet the demand.

If demand slacks off, they will ramp down production to reflect that reality.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT has stated that they plan to build to market. They will not build to stockpile.

In other words, if the market place dictates that volume, they will attempt to meet the demand.

Paul,

IMO, SRT will be supplier and production capacity limited, should the market demand over 3000 cars a year. That opinion is based on Ralph G comments on the break even point for the Viper apparently ~1500 per year and the present max production capability of ~2500 cars per year. That's from the 12 cars a day statement. From my perspective, that seems like a nice range. Enough revenue to fund continued development and enough cars to be around as halo for the rest of the SRT line. One or two in the show room at a time once in a while. As someone said, build one car less than the market demands, and I add to that, up to about 2500 a year.
:2tu:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let's hope so. The last thing they need is a bunch of 2014 Vipers languishing in dealer showrooms a la the 2006 car.

Reaction score
As has been said, Viper is a niche product. It is also the highest priced of it's direct competitors. Performance wise it is an equal, depending on who is driving and who is reviewing. I think pricing and the POOR (generally) dealer network - for an $100k+ car, will hamper it. Time will tell but, I can't see a "market" for more than 1200 cars a year. BTY, I've had six Vipers beginning with an 99 ACR thru the new TrakPac car I have in my garage now. Allan

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a good point, but the SRT engineers are quite adement that they don't believe it is necessary.....

I think peoples wallets will determine if aftermarket support is necessary moreso than the engineers. Unless SRT engineers are planning to offer factory TT/SC/computer tuning etc I think there are already quite a few past owners and potential new owners that will pass on the G5 because of the locked computer. I just hope the car sells well so that it would make more sense for Fiat to expand the next Vipers R&D budget.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang