a little story about my trans mount

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the other day I was doing a highway pull and notice that the shifter moved a few inches. So I went ahead and ordered a woodhouse hardened mount. Got into it with a friend today and this is what we found . . .

You must be registered for see images

a picture of it installed with the **** oem brace.

Needless to say, the car drives much better now.

Nick

Last edited:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sure is nice to have a lift huh. I gota crawl under my car everyday...

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure about that ? Are you talking about the crossmember ? Looks stock to me.

Yep the stock one looks just like the billet one...They make different sounds if you bang on them however, lol...

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep the stock one looks just like the billet one...They make different sounds if you bang on them however, lol...

Dave's picture is a billet piece, it does not look like the one in the first picture ;)
If the first picture were from a lower angle we could easily tell. My money says the first one pictured is a stock piece. I'm seeing a lip on the bottom of that "crossmember" This billet one does not have the lip Billet Transmission Cross Member 96-02 Vipers Improves shifting & chassis strength. Eliminates flexing of the OEM crossmember.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dammit. I thought the oem was stamped steel.

pictures are from iPhone3g, which *****. I don't usually bring my dslr out for wrenching

Nick

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Confusius says: Don't argue with someone that is a mechanic, sleeps, breaths and eats Vipers and has had a hundred transmission crossmembers out ;)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One-Tony-Correct. Calling One-Tony-Correct.

:D

Yes, the lip on the OP's pic is the twisted knife in the wound. The DBB mount is black anodized and is machined from stock; requires no bent reenforcement flange fabricated into it.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the advantage to the billet crossmember is?

I have seen broken welds on a couple of stockers. I'm pretty sure there is some flex in that area. Seems like the first step would be the billet crossmember and if one were really serious the stock mounts would be removed/replaced or reinforced ??. The crossmember I made for my powerglide uses four of the belly pan bolts like Daves driveshaft loop but back one bolt. Put it in place, belly pan over it then the bolts in place. I still have the stocker for the six speed but will probably upgrade to a billet piece.

Last edited:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work bench in the first pic.
This is on my list of to-dos for the off season, I think mine could use it.
I wonder if there's an advantage (other than being able to access things) or a disadvantage to running without the belly pan? I see he's got a d/s loop, but is there a loss in chassis stiffness or any other downside?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you say I'm not running a belly pan? Do you think those pics with the jack stands and floor jacks clearly visible were taken while driving the vehicle? :rolaugh: With me obviously under the car? Doing freeway speed? :lmao:

And yes, it is part of the torsional rigidity of the chassis.

And yes again, when I'm not working on the car in the garage my belly plate is on. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks ASP, I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice.

Best work bench, ever!

Nick

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you say I'm not running a belly pan? Do you think those pics with the jack stands and floor jacks clearly visible were taken while driving the vehicle? :rolaugh: With me obviously under the car? Doing freeway speed? :lmao:

And yes, it is part of the torsional rigidity of the chassis.

And yes again, when I'm not working on the car in the garage my belly plate is on. :rolleyes:

Easy, there, eye-roller.:crazy2:
So you've got the belly pan cut out to clear the d/s loop then. Excuse me if I haven't seen everyone of your 13,000+ posts. (insert eye rolling emoticon here) I would like to see a pic with it on, though. Just for kicks.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy, there, eye-roller.:crazy2:
So you've got the belly pan cut out to clear the d/s loop then. Excuse me if I haven't seen everyone of your 13,000+ posts. (insert eye rolling emoticon here) I would like to see a pic with it on, though. Just for kicks.

It has nothing to do with 1 post or 13,000 posts. It has to do with your assumption that I drive around with parts missing from my car. You could have easily assumed otherwise, that the part was simply off the car, by asking if I had it or so on.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with 1 post or 13,000 posts. It has to do with your assumption that I drive around with parts missing from my car. You could have easily assumed otherwise, that the part was simply off the car, by asking if I had it or so on.

I asked a simple question, that's all. You can take it anyway you want, but I think your response says more about you than my so-called assumptions say about me. :)
Thanks for the pic, btw. Looks good.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if there's an advantage (other than being able to access things) or a disadvantage to running without the belly pan? I see he's got a d/s loop, but is there a loss in chassis stiffness or any other downside?

Sorry man, your "questions" do none other than suggest a statement. Said statement is IMO that my car is missing parts.

I do meticulous work on my car and even the suggestion of it missing parts is a nerve.

And to beat everyone to the punch...

:bdh:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have wondered if the drive-shaft hoop is actually of use once the belly pan is in place. Doesn't it serve to prevent the shaft from dropping down just like the hoop?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have wondered if the drive-shaft hoop is actually of use once the belly pan is in place. Doesn't it serve to prevent the shaft from dropping down just like the hoop?

What about all the wires and sheet metal to the sides and above the driveshaft ;) There can be a fair amount of damage from a loose driveshaft. Said by someone that does not yet have a loop for his driveshaft :D
I have had to replace two shock wishbones from halfshafts breaking at the starting line and those are fairly beefy pieces. Not to mention the large dents in the exhaust pipes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth