AC console very hot to the touch

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know why, but when I had my hand resting on the AC by the knobs (Obviously not turning the knobs because the AC is not currently working:mad:) I noticed that the console itself is VERY hot. Is this normal? 2000 GTS ACR for reference. Thanks.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would say yes, the transmission is right below and engine behind which pumps out a bunch of heat. If you have a aftermarket shifter installed (metal knob) after a hard run it can almost scold you

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JohnnyViper:2978494 said:
i would say yes, the transmission is right below and engine behind which pumps out a bunch of heat. If you have a aftermarket shifter installed (metal knob) after a hard run it can almost scold you

Agreed and there's hot engine air making its way through that area as well. Is your engine temp high beyond normal or any signs of overheating issues?

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya my temps appear to be fine. I used to think that they could be too high based on my valve covers peeling but that is yet another "viper characteristic." There was a funny smell coming when I would get on the gas but have realized it's probably just the straight pipe exhaust/muffler delete. Thanks for the responses.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its normal. I have noticed that when I'm running the AC with the windows up, that the console temps are lower than they are when running with the windows down. Not sure if its true (haven't measured the temps precisely) but it seems to vary a little between windows down and windows up.