AC fan slows during acceleration.

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I accelerate I notice that the AC fan stops or slows dramatically. As soon as I let off it goes back to normal. Anyone else seen this? It is very noticable because you can immediately feel the temperature change while accelerating. At first I thought my wonderful Viper accelerated so fast that the hot air around the windshield was moving toward me. Then I realized it was the fan.

Thanks
Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow JonB,

You the man. How do you know all this stuff. Yet another thing different about my ACR that I didn't know about. When people ask what is different about the ACR I usually tell them the same old shocks, wheels, logos, smoothies, K&N.... But lately I've been reading about more and more little things like this...

Thanks
Jeff

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think there are 2 different issues here. The A/C shutting off and the Oil-Shuttle valve.

The Oil Shuttle Valve, where the oil filter is connected, routes oil to the oil cooler. The oil cooler is in front of the A/C, which is in front of the rad. There is no electrical connection to the shuttle valve, rather it is pressure regulated. Under normal oil pressure the oil goes through the oil cooler, but under idle, the shuttle valve does not allow the oil to go through the oil cooler.

This is the protection for the A/C--- Idle did not give enough air flow and the A/C gas pressure would get too high when it had the oil-cooler heated air coming through it. So the valve shuts off the hot oil to the cooler. When rpm and oil pressure rises, oil flow goes through the cooler again. (of course this was before the new design high volume fan came out and maybe the shuttle valve isn't needed if you have that fan.)

Since the ACR did not have a/c (except as an option) the shuttle valve was not necessary because there was no concern about high pressures in the a/c and oil could go to the oil cooler at idle.

As for the A/C cutting out under power, that is another item. Either electrical cutout or the vacuum drop shutting the airflow off.

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers shut off the AC compressor at full throttle. So this should explain why you lose cool air. I sometimes forget to shut off my air conditioning before heading out onto the track - I've even done a full session at Viper Days with the air on. Didn't effect performance since it shut itself off anytime I went to full throttle...

I hope this helps!!