AC Removal

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what kind of gain I could expect on my '97 GTS by removing my AC...or at least by-passing the compressor by using a shorter serpentine belt. I rarely use the air, even on the hottest days here in Michigan. Is the added HP worth the effort? Are there any engine MIL issues I would encounter with the disconnect? Thanks - Richard

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's worth the effort if you remove the system rather than just by-pass it. Most of the gain will be in the weight the car loses by getting rid of the system.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Have you looked into under drive pulleys? Sounds like a fit for you.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marv,

I'm looking for a new set of pulleys. Who makes a set of performance under-drive pulleys? Anyone have any experience with them - either positive or negative?

Thanks,

Anthony

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Underdrive crank pulleys will run all the accessories at a slower speed. This is good for the power steering fluid in autocross; it heats up and foams less. Otherwise, there's probably a minor improvement to rwhp, since accessory drag is less, but don't know how much.

I bought my '94 with an underdrive pulley on it, have never had a problem with charging, air conditioning, or steering assist. Worst case is idle, all lights on, A/C on, wipers on, brake lights on, radiator fan on - voltage drops to 12.5 -ish. Really not a problem.

The crank pulley is a 5-rib underdrive pulley for a 5.9L, and so the belt is also 5-rib (Viper is 6-rib.) Email me if you want belt PN or more info (it's at home.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21