ACR Cup Tires, Do you Suggest Them?

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking of picking up a set of these tires. Do you suggest them on a street driven car?

What mileage can I expect to get out of them? Any draw backs, I drive my car on the street and not aggressively but its a good deal

Thanks for your help!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a street driven car? No.
I sold my Cups and bought Super Sports. Much better road behavior and never once have I thought "I wish I had kept the cups"

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Negatives to Sport Cup tires:

-tramlining (following grooves in the surface)
-poor wet traction
-poor cold tire performance
-soft compound reduces tire life (treadwear rating= 80! Michelin Super Sport=300)

This is a street legal tire intended for track days.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based off of your description? No way.

In addition to the negatives listed above, the stickier rubber will also throw many more rocks and crap at your paint.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put them on my car due to traction issues with other tires. I could couldn't put the power down to the ground with other tires. These are like glue. Feels like an entirely new car since I really get into the power. By the way my car put down 613 to the wheels and 590ftlbs of torque. Aside from traction they look killer.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through 2 sets of those, and don't recommend them for a street driven car at all.

I agree with all the previous post negatives.

Super Sports or Invos are what you want for the street.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do not want to run them in the cold or the slightest rain. Those tires need to warm up.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are pretty awful on the street. Pilot Super Sport is a better all-around tire. Sport Cups are only good on the road course, after a lap to heat them up.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely love them. I track my car 7-10 times a year and I drive it on the street. incredible grip both on and off the track. if you drive track + street, life expectancy of the tires is about 5000 miles. they last me about 1.5 - 2 years, then I need new ones. the only tire with more grip is a true racing slick.

yeah you need to buy tires every couple of years, but they are always fresh. if you can afford the ACR, then you can afford tires.:drive:

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tampa is at least warm so you shouldn't have the 40F morning driving on ice issue of the sport cups..... I hated mine here in Central PA and now have NITTO's which are 100000% better for my daily driving...

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't buy them if you don't plan on tracking the car.

They are DOT approved, however, they are manufactured and intended for the track.

Reaction score
Are you talking about the Sport Cup tires that everyone is commenting on or the ACRX series tires with the Michelin logos on them? If the latter then never, plus the car would need to be set up completely different because the front is shorted and the rear is taller.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Cups but it is tricky on the street. For me that's what I love about the driving sensation. 2 hands on and you better be concentrating

EXHLR8N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to try the Pilot Sports with the C-1 side walls. Grip like the cup, but better for the street.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked the Cups on my '09. Never experienced the tracking or poor wet traction mentioned here. I even drove the car on an autocross course in a deluge. Have the super sports on my '06. The only advantage I see in the super sports are longer tire wear and a cheaper price. I would recommend the super sports unless you are tracking a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62