ACR or GTS

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the ACR. Man, those run-of-the-mill GTS's are junk!

Pay the extra money and get 'the REAL thing'.

Just my humble opinion......

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Bilberry 99 ACR:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget "common" too!
laugh.gif

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Bilberry 99 ACR:
Pay the extra money and get 'the REAL thing'.
Just my humble opinion......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul - You're brutally humorous and I agree with your assessment. The added cost of the ACR is a no-brainer to justify. And the handling is just spectacular. I wouldn't consider a GTS for a NYS.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are seriouly thinking about an ACR, Chuck Tator has a 2002 that he is willing to sell for about the same price as the GTS. Phone 914-763-3136

This car was ordered for a customer, Customer backed out of the deal.

Y2KACR

VCA Member
Reaction score
I really like everything about my ACR. I do some track stuff but it is for fun and I am not a serious racer. I would buy another one without any hestitation.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen this question a lot & you'll probably hear from both sides. But IMHO there's NO WAY to justify the purcahse of the ACR! ESPECIALLY if your thinking of doing some work yourself anyway. GTS is the way to go.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really your call on how you want to use the car. Upside to ACR: Wheels ($4-5K), suspension ($2K), exclusivity (~200/yr), harnesses, and nearly all come with comfort group (4 out of 227 didn't have AC/radio in 2001). Downside is the ride is rough (I'm thinking about backing off the rear spring rates for street use) and added cost. I also like the ACR because it stands apart, subtly.

I bought the car because I want to drive it on the track. If you want the car for the track or for exclusivity, I'd say go for it. If not, go with the GTS (which is formidable on its own).

Eric

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at an ACR but it was like 86 grand and came with less options and my car spends most of its time on the street not the track.

I got a GTS and spent the EXTRA $ I would have spent on the ACR and put it towards mods I see fit.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to use the "Search" key when you want to research a topic. I came up with these recent discussions involving the ACR vs. the GTS:

http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/005274.html

http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/005455.html

http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/006180.html

http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/008710.html

As to my own opinion, I think the ACR is a decent chunk of change if you are not going to track the car fairly regularly. The wheels look great, but are a pain in the butt to keep clean according to many owners. From what I have seen, the ACR package only marginally affects resale vs. the GTS when they are sold used. I would venture to say you lose more money (as a percentage) on the package than the car itself when you go to sell it. Again, probably worth it if you are going to track it, but not necessarily for "show and go" or if you plan to sell it anytime soon. My humble opinion anyway...

Chris

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad you openly recognize that fact. However, we will from time to time hang out with the GTS crowd. When we feel like slumming that is.

biggrin.gif

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** it up and buy a REAL sports car. A mid engine car that isnt so squirley!

Personally the NEW NSX is about the best sports car at the same $$ as the ACR. It just as fast too and Im sure breaks and handles alot better.

JBS99HT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ShaphireGTS,

Pleaaaaaase tell me you are joking about the NSX.!!!! Same power and better handling????? OK you got me, its a joke right???

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First it was GTS vs RT/10. Now the ACR is in the war. Good fun.

SapphireGTS, often times you have good input but what happened? NSX? This is a joke right? Please tell us you're kidding, right?

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Y2KGTS said earlier do a search on the board. This has been a HOT topic for a long time.
You can't go wrong with either choice.
If you want an '02 Graphite with Silver stripes call Chuck Tator
AKA Viper Wizard on the board at 914-763-3136.

JBS99HT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, we'll assume that the NSX remark was a joke. That aside and knowing I'm way off topic here, why is this car so expensive (NSX)? I know is not because of the HP or the styling. I admit that I know nothing about the car, but by looking at the performance numbers nothing jumps out that justifies the price tag. Anybody?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HA!

The NSX is in a different league. I know.

I had an NSX and it is NOTHING compared to the GTS as far as raw speed.

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PEOPLE! Can we please keep on topic here?!?

Now, for a little more GTS bashing.

I had a GTS before the ACR and let me tell you, the difference between the GTS and the ACR is night and day.

Those BBS wheels? Man, they are so much lighter and faster than those funky 5 spokes on the GTS.

And how about those RACING harnesses in the ACR? Does the GTS have those? NOOOO! What other car comes equipped with a set of factory 5-points that DC says you shouldn't use on the track because they are dangerous? That's gotta be worth gobs!

The K&N filter in the ACR? You don't think that the GTS (econo-viper) comes equipped with that do you? NOOOO!

Seriously though, I can't tell you what a GTS looks like from the back. I know the front end looks OK when looking at it in my rear-view mirror.

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SapphireGTS:
Doesnt ACR stand for Average Crappy Racecar?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, stands for - America's Coolest Racer

GTS = Granny's Touring Sedan

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great movie. I know it would have had a different outcome had that been an ACR instead of that grocery getter.

Must of been Mumford driving that GTS.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DUDE! I have smooth tubes so I have like 520 HP so if that was me I would have smoked the NSX. Oh yeah. The NSX was supercharged which helps.

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search. This topic has been beat to death. Prices are great right now. Do your homework and I bet you can find an ACR somewhere for the same price of any GTS you're looking at.

The ACR is well worth the extra $$$, look up the retail on the wheels, springs, coilovers, and belts. The question is if YOU feel its worth it. If you're buying a Viper for resale value, you shouldn't be buying a Viper IMO.

People never ask this question correctly. What you should be asking is if the wheels and shocks on the ACR are good enough on the track to justify their added expense over the GTS, because if not, you're going to buy a GTS and modify it with your own aftermarket springs, adjustable coil overs, and wheels, and don't forget the harnesses.

My $.02, and yes I own an ACR
smile.gif

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACRs started in '99, Creampuff production wasn't till '00.

The NSX *****, enough said. I think Acura (Honda) poured a crapload of $$ into R&D of that car and they're still trying to get it back. Its a cool little car but give me a break, everything about that car is outdated.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I not disagreeing with you but dont you think a 2 valve pushrod motor is a little outdated too
smile.gif

The NSX truly is setup like a racecar.

I was talking with Bobby Rahal (Ex CART driver) He was on the development team for the NSX and agreed with me saying the car lacks bottom end power but it is truly set up for racing. The all aluminum body weighs under 500lbs, 50/50 weight distribution, variable valve timing (which is common today) and a suspension whos design is similiar to many cart vehicles.

I cant say the NSX is CRAP and outdated but todays technology is catching up with it. It is no longer cutting edge as it was in 1991 when it came out.

I agree in saying that the Vehicle has outdated itself along with the likes of the Esprit and the viper but it will still have SOME appeal to the common enthusiast 20 years from now

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AS USUAL, SAPPHIRE GTS IS EITHER FUNNY OR RIGHT ON, LAST STATEMENT THAT THE ESPRIT, NSX AND OUR VIPERS, ARE ALL OLD
TECHNOLOGY, OUTDATED, HE IS RIGHT, WE ALL HAVE OLD STUFF WE ARE DRIVING. SO I THINK ILL GO BUY ME ONE OF THOSE
NEW ACR CARS, MAYBE IN NEON GREEN, THEN I CAN HANG WITH THE
ACR BOYS AND BE ONE OF THE IN CROWD. AND WHAT CAN IT COST,
MAYBE A QUARTER OF WHAT I HAVE IN MY PLAIN OLE GTS. MAYBE
I CAN FIND A DODGE DEALER WILLING TO TRADE EVEN!
NEON ACR, THE CAR FOR THE FUTURE, LONG LIVE D.C.

JBS99HT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, we'll assume that the NSX remark was a joke. That aside and knowing I'm way off topic here, why is this car so expensive (NSX)? I know is not because of the HP or the styling. I admit that I know nothing about the car, but by looking at the performance numbers nothing jumps out that justifies the price tag. Anybody?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960