acr rough ride? tips?

dpe_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im keep hearing the acr has a rough ride on the street? any ways to make it a little more comfy? im not planning to keep the acr wheels/rims , do the wheels and tires that come with the acr make a big difference in the ride quality? and how about changing the settings on the stock coilovers?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the only way to make the ACR ride softer is to switch out the springs. This was done on the GEN II ACR that I had by the previous owner.

Reaction score
The springs on the ACR are more then twice the rates on the regular SRT and the shocks are stiffer valved so even softening the settings it may be rougher then a standard Viper. You could swap out to the Motons and I believe the ride would be improved without sacrificing anything handling wise.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swapping to your new wheels with PS2s and selling the ACR wheels with their Sport Cups would be one thing to try. So, ummm... where are you located :)

Shocks are dual-adjustable, but as mentioned that's still gonna be on the same (stiffer ACR) springs.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how about a stock set of regular srt shocks n spring, sounds like your not going to the track, sooooo do that

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 20's all around on my Gen 2 ACR and it rides the same as it did when I had the stock ACR wheels on it. So now I am changing out the springs. I've been told the 20's are a "counterproductive" mod, but I still I don't care LOL

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Since dpe viper has changes planned, would so slowly, one step at a time...starting with getting of the Cups, and going with PS-2's.

Friends who have taken that step alone with a Gen IV ACR report a much improved ride on road trips.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot depends on what you consider rough as well as what the streets are like where you live. If the ride is too rough for you, then try softer rear springs, 800's vs. the ACR's 1080's. If that doesn't work switch to Moton's

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really not meaning to sound like a dick, but if you're worried about a rough ride on the street, why are you looking at an ACR?

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot depends on what you consider rough as well as what the streets are like where you live. If the ride is too rough for you, then try softer rear springs, 800's vs. the ACR's 1080's. If that doesn't work switch to Moton's

Why would you buy an ACR if you're going to change the springs out? Just buy the regular one.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know those questions weren't referring to me, but when I was looking for a Viper I never considered an ACR. It just so happens it was the same price as the GTS I was looking at so I decided to get the ACR instead.

Not everyone buys a Viper for the track or to drive it fast.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swapped out tires and the car rides as nice as my 08 coupe did. The Sport cups have a stiffer sidewall for cornering.

Bruce

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
im keep hearing the acr has a rough ride on the street? any ways to make it a little more comfy? im not planning to keep the acr wheels/rims , do the wheels and tires that come with the acr make a big difference in the ride quality? and how about changing the settings on the stock coilovers?

THE YEAR MATTERS. Gen 4 ASSumed since you posted in the SRT thread? You dont have a car yet? Dont Worry! "Rough ride on the street?" If the street is SMOOTHE, no...

I was recenly told of a G4-ACR owner who wanted a softer ride for his wife's comfort, so he traded in his OE shocks ......for Motons!!!!!!!!! He is NOT a track-guy, but was sold on their wider adjustability and spring choices. I would not have suggested that path until he explored 2 other options first.

All he (and you?) REALLY needed to do was change out the Stiff-walled SPORT CUPS for PS-2s, which gives an immediately more compliant ride. "A little more comfy" indeed, as you state above. If THAT is still too stiff, a slightly-softer re-spring of the KWs would work within their OE valving. But not likley needed.

To answer your other question, the adjustable OE KWs are 'supposed' to come on full-soft from the facctory. The 3 we have purchased were all on full-soft, but I have heard some anecdotes 08-09 of NOT. I was told emphatically from one who knows that all 2010s would be set at full-soft before shipping.

And if you are like Jance, adding heavy-weight, low-profile 20" meats, that also adds jarring as you added unsprung weight and stiffer sidewalls.

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its the beast of the ACR with the rough ride and on my new 09 I put PS2s (from PartsRack of course) for the street and its not so harsh.