OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was kidding when I said Rice-Mobile.
The rear wing looks ok. :drive::drive:

Are you sure you are not bottoming out the shocks and damaging the frame with this rear wing? :rolaugh::rolaugh:

poiz1.jpg

h-wheels3.jpg

H-wheels4.jpg

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu: I went to an ACR Tech session when they brought the car out to San Jose,CA, a few weeks ago, and showed us films and such, on how the car was made. Try putting 6 of your buddies in the cockpit with you and driving around. 1,000 pounds of downforce is an amazing amount. Here are the numbers they told us at the Tech Session. SRT-10 Vert has 10 pounds of downforce stock. A coupe has about 150. With the Aero package, the Vert gets to 165, and the coupe to about 350. I might be a little off, because it has been a few weeks, and I am going by memory. I do remember, that a Z06 Corvette has 256 pounds of lift. One cool thing was the two little slanted winglets in the front give about 50 pounds each of downforce, by swirling the air past the wheels, causing a vacuum, that ***** out the air in the wheels that cause lift. They showed a pic of three dudes weighing on average 250 pounds each all standing on the front splitter. They also showed a pic of a 185 pound man standing on the rear wing on the very end on one side. This carbon fiber stuff is tough stuff. They did talk about how important it was to modify the shocks and springs, but they did not say what would happen if you did it to a stock Viper. I just try an imagine what 7 guys in a Viper would do to the suspension???

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the front carbon fiber diffusers and stuff look ricey but the rear wing actually looks purposeful and looks like it’s built for business.

The dive planes add a lot of front downforce as well as the track splitter (which wasn't put on for our trip to the track) the Viper in notorious for "push" and you need all the front downforce you can get. With a 1,000 lbs. of downforce from the wing at 150 mph it lifts the front also and you do 130-140 in sweeper turn #8. The rear diffuser helps the rear from sliding out also.

Everything is functional and one part is needed to offset the other, I lterally have 2,500 laps at WSIR in a Viper (mostly my Gen2) this ACR is a different animal, it takes turns and sweepers at ungodly speeds :headbang:

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
An SRT engineer was quoted as saying that maximum downforce is closer to 1500lbs. At 150mph it is 1000, but it grows exponentially up to the top speed of 181. Nothing comes close to this, so please could someone put this on a stock viper and go 181 mph so we can see what happens to the spings. The stiffer springs on the ACR had to be done for a reason.

rocman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
An SRT engineer was quoted as saying that maximum downforce is closer to 1500lbs. At 150mph it is 1000, but it grows exponentially up to the top speed of 181. Nothing comes close to this, so please could someone put this on a stock viper and go 181 mph so we can see what happens to the spings. The stiffer springs on the ACR had to be done for a reason.

Not just springs, but Piggyback adjustable KW coilovers.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1rst things first. If you go and slap a wing on a base viper and dont add a good coilover unit prior to, you need to examine your priorities. The suspension should come first anyways, in preperation for added DF. So that would make most of this conversation irrelevant because you would alreay have motons with heavier spring rates prior to adding BOTH THE FRONT AND REAR DF. Otherwise you create a car that pushes real bad.

As for the frame damage, this is a Viper, not a celica, frame damage wont come easy, so I wouldnt worry about that, but suspension failure, uncontrollablility, crashing and injury I would worry about. You need an adjustable suspension anyways to go with adjustable downforce so that you can dial the car in anyways. Running the same dampener adjustments all the time will limit your ability to adjust to the track type and conditions severly

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just put a big, old nasty GTSR style Autoform wing on my 01 GTS ACR.

Went to 800 front / 1100 rear springs with the existing Motons.

Front splitter and canards to go on this week.

Anxious to feel the difference that down force makes on the track.

Dan

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wing has a purpose for the track rats, everyone else it's all about looks. If the car is sick fast then it can have a wing even if they never fully use the benefits of a functional wing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love stripes and wings on vipers,but I don't have the nuts to drive around with a wing(to gaudy for me).

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper X, do you know the amount of down force this wing and splitter will give you? Is the wing adjustable? Looks like you put on some monster springs in the front. I would like to hear how this set up works for you. Especially with reguards to high speed braking and if the stopping distance is shortened by any noticable length, that is if it is a track you are familiar with before the changes.
Good luck!

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my "base" viper is coming with the aero package installed from the factory. i am pretty sure that the amount of downforce from the wing on the convertible doesnt necessarily warrant the modification of the suspension. also, i do not plan on tracking this car.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you track the car, you gotta have it. If you dont, and are just a roll on warrier, the wing will slow you down....ALOT. It is basically an airbrake. The first C6 Z06 I raced I had my wife in the car (and an extra...ahem...130 lbs or so) he was a car ahead of me and I let him hit first. I didnt pass him until I hit like 120 mph and walked him all the way to 165 mph (had him by almost 8 cars) when I got out of it. Now, the 08 ACR tops out at 177 mph due to that wing primarily. That is a 22 mph penalty. That wing will even hurt you on fast tracks like the Poconos and Gingerman. The Viper is menacing enough in looks from the factory. Why put on a device (rear wing) that takes some of the bite out of the bark?

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR is just a different car from the regular Viper. I would choose it even if I never went to the track but I do go to the track almost every weekend. I've had a Gen II and III and driven a non-ACR Gen IV. This Gen IV ACR is a superstar! Great job on a great car.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just found the info I read where the ACR gets 1500 lbs of down force. I was wrong it is 1600lbs of down force at top speed. Check the article in the Spring Issue of Viper Quartely magazine. I knew I read this somewhere I don't make up this stuff!

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you track the car, you gotta have it. If you dont, and are just a roll on warrier, the wing will slow you down....ALOT. It is basically an airbrake. The first C6 Z06 I raced I had my wife in the car (and an extra...ahem...130 lbs or so) he was a car ahead of me and I let him hit first. I didnt pass him until I hit like 120 mph and walked him all the way to 165 mph (had him by almost 8 cars) when I got out of it. Now, the 08 ACR tops out at 177 mph due to that wing primarily. That is a 22 mph penalty. That wing will even hurt you on fast tracks like the Poconos and Gingerman. The Viper is menacing enough in looks from the factory. Why put on a device (rear wing) that takes some of the bite out of the bark?

The wing will not hurt you even on fast tracks. You have to remember you will be so far ahead of everyone by the time you hit the straights that the loss of top end wont even come into play. Ask any track guy what they would want, down force or top end, and they would take down force any day of the week.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wing will not hurt you even on fast tracks. You have to remember you will be so far ahead of everyone by the time you hit the straights that the loss of top end wont even come into play. Ask any track guy what they would want, down force or top end, and they would take down force any day of the week.
You are right on the track, but 99% of Viper owners dont track their cars. Anyway, the wing is removable. On the track it is necessary, on roll ons in Virginia w/ 5 miles of open highway, that wing will cause u to get yer ass kicked. My last race against a C6 Z06 took me up to speeds of 170 mph. I was pulling him pretty good and had him by over 5 cars when I got out of it...but if I had that wing, he would have walked me. Period.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to do a 5 mile drag race just unbolt the wing and leave it home and put the hammer down!! And make sure the center section is out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21