Added the RT-10 Trunk Strut Today

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my winter projects was to install a strut [to hold my trunk open] on my RT10. Snake Oil sells them for $95.99 - Phone # 608-849-9879
Trunk lid gets a little heavy and awkward with a spoiler on it. The strut holds the trunk open fully. When you go to shut your trunk the strut has just enough resistance to prevent the deck lid from slamming shut.
Easy install, works great.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam, where did you get the poppers? I think it is time for me to install those, and winter is here...

I have had the trunk strut for almost a year now, but I don't recall paying >90, more like 60-70, regardless, great mod, simple, and should have been there from the factory...I did hate to drill into my snake, but the strut is a must have!

Tomer

OP
OP
J

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of tips on the install.
I added a rubber washer where the bolts went through the body panels (just to keep it looking neat).
You have to "fish" a nut through the body panel on the deck lid. I put a piece of electrical tape on the nut to hold it in the ratchet while I fumbled around and until I was able to catch a thread on the bolt.

On to my other projects;

Powdercoat Intake and Valve Covers
Powdercoat spare set of rims and install a set of Kuhmos
Mat for trunk
Swap out hardware on front fascia
New Plugs
Clean Top to Bottom

* Trip To Detroit Auto Show and Tour CAAP in January.
(pray for spring)

Adam- See you @ the BBQ / Happy Holidays
;)

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the heavy duty ones. I see that with a low battery voltage, my driver side door does not close after I pop it open. So the fix is to start the car and pop the door open again to fully open, and then replace the battery when you get home. That is my battery voltage meter.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of a hood strut, sounds like you need new hinges, check with the Viper Wizard, Chuck Tator.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once open it holds it there but will not raise on its own...Also make sure you support it when you close the trunk....

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The strut definately is a must have. FYI...my strut doesn't open the lid automatacally either and I don't have a spoiler. It does help the healing of the dent in my head from resting the trunk lid on it!! :headbang:

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My strut worked great until I added the Mopar spoiler. Then with the added weight the strut would not hold the lid open. I bought another strut and added it on the other side and it works perfect.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Tomas - Have you by chance oiled the hood hinges? Many have posted that once you oil the hinges - the hood will not stay open. Can't recall the cure but it seems to me that cleaning the hinges with a degreaser of sorts may fix it.

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, heres the link for the door poppers..Just make sure when you install that remove the piece that locks the door inside..if you ever lock the door inside and forget and then hot the door poppers to poen you'll jam the door..

http://power98.net/powerdoor/

Adam:

I have a 98 rt/10, are these 'poppers' the same as the factory ones on mine that crack the door open or are these the ones I have seen that actually swing the door wide open? Just curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi