AF Rollbar Install - Pics!!!

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if this post is short, I had just typed it all in and the server crashed and I lost it! Here are a few installation pics of me putting in the AF Rollbar. Just a average joe with no real auto experience. My wife refused to go into the Viper Pit or even discuss that I was working on the car. Her only response was "I can't believe what you are doing to that car". Do not be alarmed at the pictures...everything does work out in the end. These are kind of like auto accident photos, you want to look away but can't. Here is the car after I stripped it down. This took approximately 3 hours. Tires off, wheel liners off, seats out, roll hoops out and back filler panel out.

You must be registered for see images

When I received by bar, there were no instructions in the box. I called AF and requested a set be sent…no problem. When I received my set the pictures were all black. Photocopies of photocopies. I called and asked for another set. Same result. 3 times same result, I gave up. The instructions reference the photos instead of having drawings or explaining using text. Remove Bracket A – see figure 1. Needless to say I am not impressed with AF instructions or customer service (allow up to that point it was great).

Here is the interior once all of the goodies are out.

Here is my test fit of the bar. The fit is great and AF engineering was right on. See figure 2 (oh figure 2 is black!) I was worried when I found a 2 inch square piece of flat metal welded onto the flat part where the bar sits. AF accounted for this and left a recess in there bar. Great work!!

Here is the bar going through the hole that I cut in the sheet metal. The bar rests on the crossbar behind the metal. I could not get a sawsall or scroll saw into the area so I improvised with a drill and several bits. A pneumatic cutter (cheap) would work great but I didn’t want to drive into town.
I also found that when AF painted the bar, they did not cover the threads of 4 bolts. I had to use a tap and die to get the paint out of the threads so that I could bolt the bar down. Once bolted in, I used high temp silicone to seal the gaps and sprayed the area with rubberized undercoating, put the wheel liners in and the tires on.

Here is the back of the hoops. The fit is tight. I was having problems figuring out exactly how to change the original plastic piece that runs along the back between the bars as well as I could not get the top to latch down. I called AF to again try and get electronic copies of the directions. I received 4 pictures that would have been useful two days earlier but absolutely no information on the question that I had asked. I was able to modify the plastic (would have been easier to do before the bar went in). I was able to adjust the stopper on the driver’s side that allowed the top to travel down enough to latch.

Here is the front view. The fit is TIGHT. Top latches down very tight. The top rubs slightly on the bars as it is raised.

Here is an overview of the interior. One concern that I have is that the back filler seems to be made out of a fiberglass material, not plastic. This material is very fragile and brittle. I will not be happy is it scratches during normal wear and/or fades in the sun.

The entire project took me 1 week. I spent 4 hours on Sat, 2 hours on Sun, 1 hour on Wed night, 1.5 hours Thurs night and about 4 hours on Sat for a total of about 12.5 hours work time by myself. With good instructions, 2 guys could complete in a day. With experience about 4 hours or less. I emailed daily updates to another AF rollbar owner so, JT if I missed something, please add.

Lifting the bar in and out about 25 times without touching paint will test your back. The tires are a bear to lift back on while sitting on the ground without hitting a brake line. Also the seats are not picnic when you lift them out.

I love the look of the bar and as soon as my 6 pts arrive I will be ready for the track. AF did a great job manufacturing but need some major improvements in customer service and those directions!.

Anyway, I must get to Fedex to pick up a 1997 Petrus before we get iced in (can’t trust Fedex to not let it freeze). I can email hi-res photos to anyone who needs them. Don’t be afraid, order the bar, make sure you get good instructions and go for it. I might suggest you order the bar from Partsrack.

Dave Koenigsfeld

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good pictures and information. Your install looks very nice and professional. I installed the BTR bar in my GTS this weekend. I can sympathize with some of the tediousness you described.

Are you going to attend the Viper Days track events?

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like quite the install job. Glad it finished out well for you.
Thanks for sharing the write-up and pics. :2tu:

OP
OP
L

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NDW, I can't imagine doing this with a hardtop! With the convertible, I could take everything up and out. Do you take the doors off to get yours in? I hope to get to a few events, nothing too serious, but I would like to be able to drive the car the way it NEEDS to be driven.

dave

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

We left the doors on and installed the bar through the passenger door. Once we got the bar in, we never took it back out. We moved it around a lot inside the cab while we were drilling holes and adjusting it, but it never came out. The install was not particularly tough, it was just tedious. I had to shave 3/8" off of the passenger door to get the door to close all of the way. It doesn't look nearly as bad as it sounds, but that is what it took to shut the door.

Hope that you will attend the VD event in Nebraska at Mid America Motorsports. This will be my first time at that track, I hear it is a very nice event.

I agree with you on driving these cars the way they need to be driven. My car has pretty much become just a track car, I don't drive it much on the street anymore. This Viper has become a borderline obsession with me.

Take care,

Newt

OP
OP
L

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newt, I'm originally from Nebraska and drive by the track a few times per year. I do hope to make it if the old schedule allows. What are the dates that you are going? If I know early, I can usually schedule it in. I have a 20ft H&H to haul it up in.

Paul, Just a few cases of the finest Oregon Pinot Nior......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960