Aftermarket side pipes

stevensonjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My side pipes are swiveling up and down when hitting bumps and the turnouts are hitting the black surround material. The retaining bands are smooth stainless so they slip. Would small tack welds on each side of the bands work? Your thoughts on the idea, suggestions? Thanks, Bill

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It is my recollection that trained, experienced Viper techs tack weld them at the time of initial installation for all of the reasons that you have mentioned. They have a "feel" for the particular material used in said exhausts...and, therefore take into consideration the inherent coefficient of linear expansion.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, I've also heard that tack welding is fairly common on these. However, tacking the bands won't really do anything as they are not going to be what is rotating. The turnout pipe from the manifolds slips into the front of the muffler and the clamp goes on the outside of the muffler to squeeze down on it. You would need to tack between the muffler and the pipe itself if you want to prevent rotation of the system.

Also, the tips can rotate on the muffler as well as they are clamped on the same way. Do you have 100% stock exhaust or something aftermarket? The stock exhaust on my 04 at least had a button on the pipe coming out of the cat that went into a slot that was cut on the front of the muffler. It was a very loose fit to allow for some rotation for initial alignment, but it would prevent some amount of rotation depending on how they line up. Aftermarket might be all smooth tube though, so more prone to rotating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper