Air pressure???

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What psi are you running for normal everyday type driving? I have the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. It says 50 psi max pressure(usually that means to seat the beads, I think) and I am running at 40psi. I don't drive it enough to tell if there is abnormal wear, but wanted to check what I should be running in them before they do wear.

Also, does anyone have anything to mention about Nitrogen filled tires? Good/bad/indifferent? Just curious.

Thanks,

Stuntman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wider tires allow you to run lower pressures. This isn't your under-tired luxury sedan or SUV, so 40psi is say too high. Stick with 29psi "cold" (ambient temps) and if you track it, don't let them get much higher than 38psi depending on the tire and track

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've run anywhere from 28-32 on my SuperSports. I think 28 was a tad too low and I may have gotten a little odd wear. Not real bad, but not even. I've since tried to keep them closer to 30. Got 25,000 on the first set of rears and just replaced the fronts another 15k later or so.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wider tires allow you to run lower pressures. This isn't your under-tired luxury sedan or SUV, so 40psi is say too high. Stick with 29psi "cold" (ambient temps) and if you track it, don't let them get much higher than 38psi depending on the tire and track
Yeah...................

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As above...past model year 1995, all Vipers delivered new had a recommended cold tire inflation pressure of 29 p.s.i.

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay. That answers my question, thanks. But, I just checked the tires the other day after I got a low tire warning in the dash. The lowest was 34 and the highest was 40, so I topped them all off to 40 to see if the warning would go away. It did, and hasn't been back. If I lower the pressure back to around 30 and start getting the warning again, would that be a sensor going bad or is there a way to set the sensor setpoint?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Would check with another gauge to confirm readings, then consider checking sensors for signal output...and, possibly reprogramming with a DRB III

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay. That answers my question, thanks. But, I just checked the tires the other day after I got a low tire warning in the dash. The lowest was 34 and the highest was 40, so I topped them all off to 40 to see if the warning would go away. It did, and hasn't been back. If I lower the pressure back to around 30 and start getting the warning again, would that be a sensor going bad or is there a way to set the sensor setpoint?
Tire light will come on if there is a variance of 25% or more regardless of what the pressures are.

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lowered the pressure to 30psi but the light comes on just about every time I drive it. The owners manual said it means the sensor is faulty if it beeps once and the lo tire warning comes on. I am going to increase to 32 to see if still does it.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do a lot of track day so I frequently change my tire pressure.

PSS on street my target is 32-35psi so the middle of the tire will wear equale with the sides.
My probleme is the side wear, so I tend to increase the tire pressure on street.
You should run in the 32psi hot.

On track I lower my hot pressure to : 30psi front and 28psi rear.

My rear tire has 18000mi (Do I hold a record ?)
My front weared a bit faster : 17000mi

I am a very soft driver 8/10th on track.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang