Airbox or cone filters?

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious to know which is better: using the airbox or using two seperate cone filters. When I say airbox I'm refering to what I currently have which is the stock airbox with the rain baffle cut out, k&n filters, smooth tubes and 70mm throttle bodies. I was thinking of just putting two cone filters straight to the throttle bodies. can anyone give some of thier input on this question?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unclgreggy,

Check the recent test done by the KC club and results posted on this site(Chris Marshall.....Y2KGTS)

Our cone filter BTR Max Flow Intake made more hp and torque than any smooth tubes and stock type airbox.

The airbox sits on top of the radiator which is hot, at least without the restricitve airbox, cool air can flow through the engine compartment.
Thanks,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we go -

I had the TNT cone intakes.... I liked it. However, I am convinced it did nothing for my Dyno HP. It may have helped with my MPH in the Quarter. I now have the Hennessey Carbon Fiber Airbox - (Which I understand is priced out of reach for many) I like it even more!

So anyway, personally, I would stick with the stock setup. At least you will not wonder if the cones are helping or hindering. JMHO.

Regards,

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'm baffled. How do you de-baffle the rain-whatcha-ma-call-it thing?

I've seen a few posts about this but haven't seen any pictures/FAQs/information.

Steve

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the Hennessey Carbon Fiber AirBox? Their catalog claims it adds 25 HP over the stock setup and it sure looks trick.

But, at $1200.00... I would like to hear some feedback and see some numbers before I stepped up to buy one.

Byron

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran the dyno and changed from the stock ACR to the TNT cones. I had these and had them on and off a couple of times, really didn't know if they helped.

Anyways, I got 7 horsepower and 14 pound ft torque more with the cones. That was on the dyno without a lot of air coming up into the engine compartment. I now run the cones, they produce more hp and tq just like Roy told me originally when I ordered them.

The dyno tells the true tale here.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BLS,

You can't go wrong with the Hennessey Box. I have it - it generates much attention when the hood is open. I suggest you give John a call personally and talk to him about it. I agree the price is high - but as you can see in my Sig - it helps make power!
You must be registered for see images

Kevin,

I am glad you saw gains with the TNT intake - I did not. However, I did run VERY strong MPH with that setup. With TNT Intake, 70MM TB's, Borla Cat Back and 3.45 gears, I ran 122.3. I would agree that Roy tells it like it is! I was happy! Of course, I am REALLY happy with the new setup!!!!!

unclgreggy,

JonB is right on with his comments about TB's. In fact you may be hurting your power output...HOWEVER, See my reply to Kevin, My car ran great on the Big end. Although that size is not recommended, it worked well in my application.

Regards,

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have said, my gains with the TNT cones were with a Stock 2000 ACR with 4,500 miles, except it has 3" TNT cat back exhaust. The first run was with the std k & n panel filters and smooth tubes, the second run 20 minutes later was with the cone filters.

7 hp and 14 lb ft tq on 460 & 500 is not noticable, but if the dyno says more than I'll run it that way. Also, the dip in hp and torque between 3900 and 4200 was eliminated. Again, it doesn't amount to much, but the base and test lines do seperate between those rpms, with the cones moving higher.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB-Pace Car Pilot:

But those cones really do LOOK cool and that counts for sumthin!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sumthin else that might count for sumthin is the ease of cleaning and replacing. I've never had cones but they've GOT to be easier to replace than fastening those little clips on the bottom side of the stock box.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
De-baffled stock airbox with smoothies and K&N's provides the highest value and just maybe commensurate performance vis-a-vis the aftermarket options described herein. If there are differences, they are quite small indeed.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This issue comes up often, but the consensus appears to be that the cones filters produce more hp on a dyno, but they lose it on the track. Like Jon sez, " They do look cool, " but I would imagine the debate about swirling the air around the cones at speed, the hot air coming through the radiator,etc. lends itself to the concept that at speed the direct, cold-forced air enables the factory box or similar ones to produce better power on the track. The debate will continue, but one has to admit, " They do look cool!"

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HMS vs Stock: I think that the rain deflector is less than half the story. Look at the contour BEHIND the filters and the transition to the throttle bodies....

That box was worth about 6 mph of top speed on the front straight of TWS for me. I'd much rather spend the $ on carbon fiber that makes me go faster than on trim panels for the interior.

You must be registered for see images

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I carefully cut my rain baffle out by hand. Took the air box apart, and took the blade out of a small hack-saw to do it. I cut close to the shape of the baffle leaving a quarter inch lip around the baffle piece. Then I cut 2 ali plates to fit the cut out hole just a bit larger in size. Using 4 quarter turn quick release locking D screws (like used for motorcycle panel fixings) I can fit an ali plate. The second plate, I have riveted the rain baffle to, on the under side, so I can still rain baffle my air box for all those wet days we have in the UK! A piece of draft excluder tape on the ali plate lip, does for a good seal. Must take some pics...

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As usual, Dean is dead on. If you pick up a pair of scoops from your local hot rod house and JB Weld them to he back of a stock airbox you will be able to get the same effect. The rear of the ducts will be much more open than the stock setup removing much of the restriction on the air filter with corresponding increase in airflow. This was a common do it yourself conversion a couple of years back. I remember 6-8 h.p. being a typical gain.

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Dean,

What am I looking at through your naca duct? It almost looks lid the throttle butterfly on the right side, or am i seeing things. Are you filters in?

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala