ALLDATA RIPOFF

Jim Sullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I paid my money to ALLDATA to get some information on a TSB they advertised on their webpage but it was just too general. Does anyone know what causes a " pop coming from the rear after coming to a stop"?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm this may not help, but many Viper owners (myself included) have experienced a pop in the rearend on takeoff AFTER a stop. My (and I believe others as well) problem was a loose bolt in the rearend. I have had my bolts torqued down when I was getting all my fluids changed over a year ago and haven't heard the pop since. The tech said one bolt was definitly loose.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of alldata? Jim your more then welcome to call me anytime with questions. :cool:

Chad is right! Most of the poping noise comes from the drive line shifting on its mounting points. Re-torque ALL diff mounting bolts, suspension bolts/nuts [take care not to change your alignment - torque ONLY the nuts on the lower control arm!!], U-joint strap bolts, re-torque the axle nuts [DO NOT use the vehicle in gear to hold the axles from turning! You may break a tooth off in the diff!! :eek: Have someone step on the brakes & out of gear to hold them!], also check caliper mounting bolts. Change the diff fluid [2 qts 75W-140 syn & 4 oz friction modifier].

See if that helps?

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alldata is I think a division of Motors. They are about the only thing available if you dont have access to the factory manuals. I have had both good and bad luck with them. Great if you need general info, but ***** for diagnosing problems.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need more info. Where is the noise coming from? Frt or rear? Goes away when warm?
I am suspecting driveshafts/u-joints

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Never heard of alldata?

ALLDATA is supposed to be the sourse for all TBS/recall
complaints on any given vehicle. The idea being is you
bought your viper used and was never told about the 998
recall. Since you do you maintainence at home which makes
it impossible for a dealer to inform you of the recall you
can log in and find it there.

I haven't used it much, but after the 30th service call on
my Z28 I began using it religiously... until I discovered
online forums.

G

grcforce327

We use ALLDATA at work.It's very handy when working on so many different types of vehicles! :2tu:

OP
OP
J

Jim Sullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It only happens when I hit the brake, e.g., back out of the garage, hit the brake at the street and a "pop" from the right rear corner of the car. And "yes" I've tightened everything I could find.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim:

If you have a Gen2 and have had the 998 recall I can make a good guess. Look back for a post I made about 8 months ago, it discussed the the two bolts that hold the differential carrier to the frame. In a nutshell the oem bolt and bushing **** (loose fit) to begin with. When the recall is done they use an under-size bolt (for no reason). The result is that the carrier is now very loose and floats within the frame. All that keeps it from moving/floating it is the friction from the compression on the bolt, however, that is not enough to keep it from moving around when the car brakes or torques.

On my car, I ended up making a custom bushing for the carrier. My car was actually 1.5 inches higher on one side in the rear until I replaced the bushings. No one makes a bushing other than the oem, which you do not want. The reason that this goes unnoticed is that it cannot be seen and typically you don't look for the fit in this bolt/bushing combination. If you take the 998 recall bolt and slide it into a car with 20,000 miles, you will be shocked. Mine had almost 3/16" play. Magnify the 3/16" by a 36" fulcrum and that is the movement you get at the rear.

Then again if you have a Gen 1, I wasted your time.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I had a "Clunk" whenever I would step on the gas.

The dealrship finally after much searching found the right rear axle hub carrier was allowing the wheelbearing to shift in its place.

I hope that helps someone sometime.