Aluminum flywheel? Good or bad? opinions please?

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm buying a 99' RT/10 which the performance shop is putting in a new tranny because its covered under warranty, but besides this i was wondering if i should have an aluminum flywheel installed and or a better clutch?I plan on putting full B&B exhaust roller rockers, a roe supercharger, short throw shifter, smooth tubes all in the near future. Do you think an aluminum flywheel would be a waste , keep in mind i want the car to be a daily driver. What do you think? viper owners out there with the 600-700 hp range what kind of clutch do you have? Thanks again. :usa:

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely recommend it, especially for a daily driver. Putting one in my car was a huge improvement.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not as much momentum off the line when you drop the clutch. Now personaly I would put one in, because I like the road coarses much better. It will allow you to build RPM's a little faster and RPM's react faster when taking your foot outta it.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot of top tuners say that it wont hurt drag racing at all.

Im actually having one installed in 6 days from today so I'll tell ya then.

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if Mr. Macedo says it hurts drag racing, then bank on it.
SH*T Mr. Macedo didn't tell me that before I went out and bought one!!! Larry say it aint so. Oh well if it is I'm a sh*tty drag racer anyway.
Chad

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
worth the money only if you will be doing lots of racing and need to keep your RPMs up. otherwise, you will not feel the difference at all.

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
worth the money only if you will be doing lots of racing and need to keep your RPMs up. otherwise, you will not feel the difference at all.

I dont know where came up with that??? Mine is very noticable....

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the one from Partsrack. If you do a lot of slow speed stop/go driving, you may want to reconsider. I semi-frequently commute with mine, and the engine seems to have a hard time maintaining idle in this conditions; the engine will nearly stall when putting in the clutch, and I need to blip the gas to keep it running. I'm pretty sure the engine's running correctly (just got it back from Arrow), and I didn't notice this prior to the flywheel swap. On the plus side, it does seem to rev faster...

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the money towards a Roe SC. THAT will make the engine rev faster!

I obviously have a very crude "personal dynomometer"... The only way I could "feel" a difference was to try and convince myself there MUST be some benefit from the $750 I just dropped! Driving impressions after 3 years - Zip, zero, nada, squat...

In my opinion, the aluminum flywheel was a complete waste of money and I would not do it again.

Just one persons opinion. No offense intended to those who felt their alum flywheel was a good investment.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to try one on the track. Logic dictates that braking would be improved. But I just can't bring myself to spring the $700 when I always need brakes and tires.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Fidanza flywheel in my car. I could definitely feel a difference. It is not like night and day, but it is there.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok well thanks for the advice guys. I think i'm gonna stear clear from this one. 700$ is money i can put into the ROE supercharger i want to get. thanks for the advice once again guys!

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the RPS flywheel from JonB. Works great, noticeable gain with the butt dyno, no major driveability issues. So far, no track time. I've had these before on other cars and liked em, you'll get used to blipping the throttle. In fact, you'll learn to love it.

I swapped my clutch out at the same time, only 14K miles, so I thought it would be silly not to. Maybe shouldn't have...looks like brand new.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 years ago, I paid $389 for a Fidanza. I consider it to be as good as any other thing I've done to the car. Most noticeable in the first 2 gears from a SOTP feel....but definitely noticeable. Instant revs for downshifting. Braking is shorter from an autocrossing or track standpoint.

I have never had any runnability issues with bogging on start up. I never noticed any difference there at all. I can start in 2nd gear and easily smoke the tires.

Steve

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I drove a TNT King Snake Viper that had the Aluminum Fly wheel and did not like it due to the fact you had to hit the gas harder to take off the line...I kept stalling it because I was used to having the stock flywheel pull me forward...but I guess it all depends on what it's being used for...stop and go...no...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to race stock cars. We were supposed to have stock flywheels in the class I was in.
Stock car racers always cheat, you knew that didn't you?

Well, I replaced the stock 24lb iron flywheel with an 8lb aluminum one.

Believe me, it made a difference. Accelerating and braking.
You let off the gas and the car slows much faster.

Stock cars don't do any slow speed starts so I didn't have to worry about launches.

Purpose built drag race cars have very light flywheels as do all other race cars.
It will get you off the line faster if you get used to it.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kept stalling it because I was used to having the stock flywheel pull me forward...but I guess it all depends on what it's being used for...stop and go...no...

I've driven stick shift cars since 1964. The Viper is as easy a car to drive as any I've ever had...easier than many. I can't remember the last time I stalled the car from a stop. Never in first gear. I once forgot to shift to first from third at a stop sign, that killed it, but from day one---with 480 lbs of torque to the back wheels, the lightened flywheel has made no difference whatsoever.

We are in several parades every year that are each several miles long and have hills. Never had a problem. Leg gets a little sore, but never once has the car stalled. For me, the stalling thing it is simply a non-issue.

The Fidanza people have the same thing to say as the links Marv posted above. I called them with these same questions before I did it.

Steve