Am i being to picky?

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my front facia back from the body shop the other day and i noticed that the it seems a little darker than the rest of the car.I took it back and they kinda acted like nothing was wrong but would respray it for me to get it closer.What would you guys do?

You must be registered for see images attach

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does seem a bit darker indeed, would need to see pics from different angles to really take an objective look at it.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about posting a few more clearer pics from different angles/light?

Pretyflywiteguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best way to tell would be to take a picture under fluorescent light like at a gas station at night.

Pretyflywiteguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, when you pay for something like a car, let alone a viper, you can never be too picky. If you settle for the work, you're only going to regret it later and possibly even have a complex about it. I did when I got my front end repainted on my trans-am. Three years later and its a COMPLETELY different color than the rest of the car.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had factory new cars, that had a little color variance between the facia and the rest of the car. Something to do with the flex additive, maybe? Many Vipers I've seen with aftermarket facia's look this way. Not sure if it should be acceptable or not.??

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, when you pay for something like a car, let alone a viper, you can never be too picky. If you settle for the work, you're only going to regret it later and possibly even have a complex about it. I did when I got my front end repainted on my trans-am. Three years later and its a COMPLETELY different color than the rest of the car.

Too late i already have a complex about it but it.I was not going to do anything about it but it finally got to me. I dont have any other pictures right now but the pic i have on here is how it looks on most occasions exept for in the direct sunlight.It all blends together then.When its dusk or under lights thats when you can see that its a few shades off.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too late i already have a complex about it but it.I was not going to do anything about it but it finally got to me. I dont have any other pictures right now but the pic i have on here is how it looks on most occaions exept for in the direct sunlight.It all blends together then.When its dusk or under lights thats when you can see that its a few shades off.

Definitely have them re-do it...it'll drive you nuts if you don't.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red paint is one of the hardest in the world to match right, and keep it matched. As the car gets older and more exposed to the sun, you might see the colors diverge even more.

i would leave it alone,may turn out worse the second time,plus it will have a ton of paint on it,will crack easily

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you are being too picky. The clarity of your picture is not very good and you can very easily see the variation. Just as others have said, it may be difficult to match exactly but I would hope they could get it closer. Otherwise, I'd be thinking about re-painting the whole car. :omg:

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you are being too picky. The clarity of your picture is not very good and you can very easily see the variation. Just as others have said, it may be difficult to match exactly but I would hope they could get it closer. Otherwise, I'd be thinking about re-painting the whole car. :omg:

Wow Brian,
that avatar you have looks like my car.

Bill

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my front facia back from the body shop the other day and i noticed that the it seems a little darker than the rest of the car.I took it back and they kinda acted like nothing was wrong but would respray it for me to get it closer.What would you guys do?

You must be registered for see images attach

it definately looks darker from here, if he can't get it closer have him blend it, that should work.

FLX109

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
How long has it been since you did a thorough strip of old wax, clay bar, good polish, and reapply of new wax to the rest of your Viper? Looks to me like the facia has a cleaner look to it and reflects more clearly than the rest of your Viper.

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long has it been since you did a thorough strip of old wax, clay bar, good polish, and reapply of new wax to the rest of your Viper? Looks to me like the facia has a cleaner look to it and reflects more clearly than the rest of your Viper.

What!:omg: How often are we saposed to do this?I dont think that has ever been done.I did wax it this past year though.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like hell make them repaint it if i don't like it i no you don't

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may have to have it blended to completely get rid of the two tone effect. Just a note its not the spray guy but the Paint mix guy that is off here.:2tu:

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may have to have it blended to completely get rid of the two tone effect. Just a note its not the spray guy but the Paint mix guy that is off here.:2tu:

I just want them them to get it closer than what it was.If its still off a little but better than it was i think i will just live with it.They said they could tint it to match.When i took the bumper in i gave them my gas cap to match it up with.What do you guys think my chances are of this actually working out and not making it worse?

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the 08 hood as well, and this is the reason I've been dragging my feet on it. I'm not very confident in anyones ability to match it. If its off even a little bit, it would drive me nuts!:crazy2:
I'd get em to try again, it's what you've paid for.:cool:

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the 08 hood as well, and this is the reason I've been dragging my feet on it. I'm not very confident in anyones ability to match it. If its off even a little bit, it would drive me nuts!:crazy2:
I'd get em to try again, it's what you've paid for.:cool:

This is the best advice i have heard so far.And you would think if its what you do for a living you would know about these kind of things before they even happen.Why didnt they just tell me before that there would be a possibility that it would not match?
Its things like this that really get to me or maybe its just where im from.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some idiot backed into my wife's car driver-side rear door and left a grapefruit-sized ding and took off (city parking - how bad to you have to be to parallel park and hit the side of the car you are parking behind :confused:). Anyway, I had it professonally repaired, which included a repaint and blend of the door, and re-clear of the door up through the A pillar and rear bumper. It still showed two different color shades (silver car), and when I was shopping for a replacement vehicle for her every dealer picked out the color difference and asked how hard the car was hit. One even said that a paint mismatch is the kiss of death to high-end cars. I didn't care because it was a lease and I had it done by the dealer so I was protected, but it certainly would concern me regarding your car. Someday in the future, others may be wondering "how hard was this Viper hit" even though you just got it repainted to clean up some chips. I learned that if it's not a pefect match, you will lose on resale - I'd definitely have the shop re-do their work. Good luck!

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they resprayed the facia after deciding it was to dark.This time though they tried messing with the mixture and now it looks orange:( I took it back again and they are saying now they are going to try again and this time they will be blending too.Plus they are going to charge me $500 extra over top of what i payed in the first place which was $2400.Should i just take it somewhere else to somebody who knows what the hell they are doing or give it another try?:dunno:

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way i seen what colors they use to make red.--Red,white and purple.They said they are taking out some of the purple to get rid of the orange this time:dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had what looked like a very slight color variation when I had my Autoform sills painted for my side exhaust, but I decided to live with it. So slight I actually hadn't thought about it lately until this thread.

I like the idea about the fluorescent lights at a gas station at night. God knows they must have some power bills the way they build those things these days.