Annihilated an SL55

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh, the perfect evening! The rain has dried up again, the NorCal air is warm, and the Viper has its top down and the stereo cranked up. I swing by the local shopping center to pick up a copy of the just-released "Splinter Cell-Chaos Theory" and a cup of coffee, and am on my way back home on Woodside road when I see... up ahead, turning onto Woodside, yes! a Black SL with 4 tailpipes. I catch up to him in a couple of lights and sure enough, the rear decklid reads "SL55 ... AMG". I'm tucked right on the SL's tail as he accelerates out of the light, and I stay a carlength behind to make sure he gets the message as we cross 50 MPH.

At the next light both lanes are clear, and we're rolling toward the stoplight side by side at perhaps 15 mph when the light turns. The mercedes lunges forward; I'm in 2nd gear but there's no time to shift so I nail the throttle. The V10 inhales cool evening air and lunges forward, grabbing the SL55 by an invisible tether and YANKING it backwards with a ferocity which is surprising. Remember that E55 vs SLR video? This is much more dramatic. The SRT surges through 2nd gear, and at about 60 MPH both rear tires light up as the engine hits peak torque. I tag the rev limiter instantly, already two carlengths ahead, grab 3rd and put two more carlengths on the SL55 in the couple seconds it takes to hit 90 MPH. With the SL fading quickly and my mental speedo flashing "GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL", I hit the binders and shortly return to legal speeds. The SL pulls back up along side me and the driver looks over and waves. I give him a wave and a big thumbs up, and then he's on his way into Woodside and I'm turning off to head home.

Big power and light weight... how sweet it is :)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Treynor,

Good thing you were rolling if you have stock tires. My wife's E-55 with the traction control on runs 12.20s bone stock all day long. I can crush her from a roll, but from a dead stop, no chance. Nitto drag radials have been ordered to go on some SSR rims. They should be on by the weekend. This should give me a better shot off the line. Isn't it amazing how the tires break loose at about 65 to 70 under power?

You should come down to Crystal Cove or Donut Derelicts one Saturday morning for the car show. It can be fun.

Dan

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a blast! I bet he thought you were stock, litte did he know! :p

Dan, you shouldn't have a problem making your wife's E55 look slow, even from a stop. Just make sure the race is 0-150! :2tu:

If you are getting some 18" SSRs, you might want to look into Kumhos. As the DRs **** to drive on the street IMO.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Casey,

I'm taking Skip White's advice on this. He says the Nittos are very streetable but advises against the BFG's on the street. I'll let you know.

And yes, if it's 0 - 150, I'll catch and pass her. Just haven't found a place to do that here, yet .....

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's amazing to me is how streetable this car is! With the stock exhaust & cats there's almost no hint of how much power is under the hood - just a quiet whirr-whirr-whirr and a hiss when driving. The throttle response and tractability is just as good as stock; you can roll into the throttle at 800 RPM and the car just goes. IMNSHO this is how the car should come from the factory!

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"IMNSHO this is how the car should come from the factory!"

Couldn't agree more, at the least, S/C should be a factory option.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh, the perfect evening! The rain has dried up again, the NorCal air is warm, and the Viper has its top down and the stereo cranked up. I swing by the local shopping center to pick up a copy of the just-released "Splinter Cell-Chaos Theory" and a cup of coffee, and am on my way back home on Woodside road when I see... up ahead, turning onto Woodside, yes! a Black SL with 4 tailpipes. I catch up to him in a couple of lights and sure enough, the rear decklid reads "SL55 ... AMG". I'm tucked right on the SL's tail as he accelerates out of the light, and I stay a carlength behind to make sure he gets the message as we cross 50 MPH.

At the next light both lanes are clear, and we're rolling toward the stoplight side by side at perhaps 15 mph when the light turns. The mercedes lunges forward; I'm in 2nd gear but there's no time to shift so I nail the throttle. The V10 inhales cool evening air and lunges forward, grabbing the SL55 by an invisible tether and YANKING it backwards with a ferocity which is surprising. Remember that E55 vs SLR video? This is much more dramatic. The SRT surges through 2nd gear, and at about 60 MPH both rear tires light up as the engine hits peak torque. I tag the rev limiter instantly, already two carlengths ahead, grab 3rd and put two more carlengths on the SL55 in the couple seconds it takes to hit 90 MPH. With the SL fading quickly and my mental speedo flashing "GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL", I hit the binders and shortly return to legal speeds. The SL pulls back up along side me and the driver looks over and waves. I give him a wave and a big thumbs up, and then he's on his way into Woodside and I'm turning off to head home.

Big power and light weight... how sweet it is :)

great story, the car is turely an animal.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Casey,

I'm taking Skip White's advice on this. He says the Nittos are very streetable but advises against the BFG's on the street. I'll let you know.

And yes, if it's 0 - 150, I'll catch and pass her. Just haven't found a place to do that here, yet .....

Let me know how that goes for you. I ran the BFGs for a few days last year and hated it. I put the Pilot Sports back on quickly.
I am looking at Kumhos for this summer, with BFGs for the track.

I hope the Nittos are GREAT!! I would give us another option.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have experienced the same thing, at about 60-65 in second when the boost rises to around 5 psi the tires let loose (controllably). Great feeling!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Superman sure is an [******] when he's drunk. :)

You know the one joke about Superman and the guy in the bar, right?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stories like this makes me wish that I was in Cali right now. I hate you!!!! ;) there is so much sand and stones on the roads I refuse to take out my srt with drag radials (don't want to sand blast my quarter pannels)

Love the writeup though!

vd..

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fun story Ben. :laugh:
The telling point will be running against your SL65 with both cars on street tires. :eek:

I also agree that the Paxton should be a factory option for the Viper. :2tu:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Must be a great feeling, Ben. Big congrats! Maybe soon I'll do something like that. 'Til then, I will live vicariously through your exploits!

Now to the joke, if I may digress briefly for STUGOTS-

There's these two guys drinking whisky shots in a restaurant bar at the top of a high rise building. They both are a bit toasted- 1st guy says, "Boy, it sure is a long way down". 2nd guy says, "Thats' nothing! I'll bet you a hundred dollars I can jump off that balcony, and the really strong winds out there will break my fall, and whoosh me back up to where I jumped off" 1st guy says, "No way, you're drunker than I am, but you're on!" So the 2nd guy jumps off the balcony, drops 50 floors, and just before he hits the pavement, slows down, much to the amazement of the 1st guy watching from above. Then, incredibly, the 2nd guy starts whooshing back upward, and zooms all the way back up to the balcony level. 2nd guy lands back on the balcony, says "See, it told you so! Now you try it, its fun!" So the 1st guy says excitedly, "WOW, THATS" GREAT, I THINK I'LL TRY IT!" He gleefully jumps off the balcony, and falls all the way down to his death, splattering on the pavement below. Much to the amusement of the 2nd guy, who was laughing his head off by then.

The bartender, who had been silently watching all this, says to the 1st guy, "You know, Superman, you're a real aszhole when you're drunk!"

See Stu? Ben is like Superman, trolling for unwitting victims, get it now? :D And they get what they deserve! :)

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if the SL55 got all the mods that Renntech offers you would have had a different result. Your modified car against a factory stock is not exactly a level playing field. I traded my 03 SRT10 for a SL600 (V12) and have never looked back. The performance, ride, fit and finish, are magnificent. Stock 0 to 60 in 4.1. Yes the stock Viper may be faster but only if he does everything right. All I have to do is step on the go pedal. The hardtop/convertable is another bonus. Touch a button and it is up or down in 15 seconds.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
Well, if the SL55 got all the mods that Renntech offers you would have had a different result. Your modified car
"against a factory stock is not exactly a level playing field. I traded my 03 SRT10 for a SL600 (V12) and have never looked back. The performance, ride, fit and finish, are magnificent. Stock 0 to 60 in 4.1. Yes the stock Viper may be faster but only if he does everything right. All I have to do is step on the go pedal. The hardtop/convertable is another bonus. Touch a button and it is up or down in 15 seconds."

BIG DEAL

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be a great feeling, Ben. Big congrats! Maybe soon I'll do something like that. 'Til then, I will live vicariously through your exploits!

Now to the joke, if I may digress briefly for STUGOTS-

There's these two guys drinking whisky shots in a restaurant bar at the top of a high rise building. They both are a bit toasted- 1st guy says, "Boy, it sure is a long way down". 2nd guy says, "Thats' nothing! I'll bet you a hundred dollars I can jump off that balcony, and the really strong winds out there will break my fall, and whoosh me back up to where I jumped off" 1st guy says, "No way, you're drunker than I am, but you're on!" So the 2nd guy jumps off the balcony, drops 50 floors, and just before he hits the pavement, slows down, much to the amazement of the 1st guy watching from above. Then, incredibly, the 2nd guy starts whooshing back upward, and zooms all the way back up to the balcony level. 2nd guy lands back on the balcony, says "See, it told you so! Now you try it, its fun!" So the 1st guy says excitedly, "WOW, THATS" GREAT, I THINK I'LL TRY IT!" He gleefully jumps off the balcony, and falls all the way down to his death, splattering on the pavement below. Much to the amusement of the 2nd guy, who was laughing his head off by then.

The bartender, who had been silently watching all this, says to the 1st guy, "You know, Superman, you're a real aszhole when you're drunk!"

See Stu? Ben is like Superman, trolling for unwitting victims, get it now? :D And they get what they deserve! :)

LMAO

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> Well, if the SL55 got all the mods that Renntech offers you would have had a different result.

Ah, no - not even close. And don't lecture me about SL performance, Fred - I have a '05 RENNtech SL65 and race it regularly.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Kill and you did it with the top down :cool: BTW how is a Renntech Benz "stock"??? Also the Renntech's 126mph is around the SLR Mclaren performance. Ive seen the SLR quoted at a best of 128mph. The Renntech Im sure is alot less and looks better imho. Love the tq numbers :2tu:

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> BTW how is a Renntech Benz "stock"???

I haven't run the SL65 at the 'strip since doing the RENNtech upgrade. I did run it when it was stock, and its best pass was 11.7 @ 126. It'll be interesting to see how it runs now :)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> Well, if the SL55 got all the mods that Renntech offers you would have had a different result.

Ah, no - not even close. And don't lecture me about SL performance, Fred - I have a '05 RENNtech SL65 and race it regularly.

does the viper win usually?

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I traded my 03 SRT10 for a SL600 (V12) and have never looked back. The performance, ride, fit and finish, are magnificent. Stock 0 to 60 in 4.1.

At $130K (twin turbo) to start with, it better be a better-made car to justify the cost. Here in Wash DC SL's are everywhere, they dont even get noticed anylonger. They certainly don't have the agressive styling of the SRT, why would you even post this comment? Why are you here?

KL

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I traded my 03 SRT10 for a SL600 (V12) and have never looked back. The performance, ride, fit and finish, are magnificent. Stock 0 to 60 in 4.1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At $130K (twin turbo) to start with, it better be a better-made car to justify the cost. Here in Wash DC SL's are everywhere, they dont even get noticed anylonger. They certainly don't have the agressive styling of the SRT, why would you even post this comment? Why are you here?

KL

He's wishing he had his Viper back....

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if the SL55 got all the mods that Renntech offers you would have had a different result. Your modified car against a factory stock is not exactly a level playing field. I traded my 03 SRT10 for a SL600 (V12) and have never looked back. The performance, ride, fit and finish, are magnificent. Stock 0 to 60 in 4.1. Yes the stock Viper may be faster but only if he does everything right. All I have to do is step on the go pedal. The hardtop/convertable is another bonus. Touch a button and it is up or down in 15 seconds.

Modified vs. stock makes no difference on the street. If you have a car that is stock and are willing to go light to light with someone you run what you brung and hope it was enough. Losing a street race then complaining about mods = WEAK!!

BTW since you are sooooo happy with your SL, why are you "slumming" around here??

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

KL

He's wishing he had his Viper back....

the sl has mirrors on the inside of the visors, i wish the viper did, cuz girls like to use that mirror

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> BTW how is a Renntech Benz "stock"???

I haven't run the SL65 at the 'strip since doing the RENNtech upgrade. I did run it when it was stock, and its best pass was 11.7 @ 126. It'll be interesting to see how it runs now :)

Incredible. I didnt realize the stock SL65 was that deadly. Yikes. Stock Snakes gotta be careful crossing the road nowadays...I also saw a Euro test where one stock variation of the SL beat the SRT10 on a roadcourse but I dont think it was an AMG version. The competition has steped way the hell up. The SL65 makes the SLR Mclaren look way overpriced..Sounds like the SL65 would be able to break 200mph.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang