Another Corsa Install

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I would add my comments to the Search Database.

What I was looking for – Better sound, but not too loud since I actually drive my Viper and I don’t want to get in a fight with my neighbors when I leave at 7AM. I also wanted better looking exhaust tips since the stock ones look downright cheap to me. I may add Headers and HF Cats in the future and I know that they will also add to the sound volume, so I wanted to err on the quiet side if anything.

Source – JonB/PartsRack. Got a good price and they came before I was even expecting them, which is always a nice surprise.

Quality – top notch. The rear muffler and exhaust tips are a work of art. Fit and finish are excellent. Came packaged very well.

Installation – Easy. I did it on jackstands by myself and I’m no mechanic. Could have used a second set of hands when it came to installing the rear muffler section however. Ran the front up on some 7” Rhino ramps and raised the back about 12”. This was enough to get the job done for me. The hardest parts of the install were not Corsa related. For instance, my side sills came from the factory with stripped threads on several of the top screws, including of course the one under the door jam. Took me a while to figure out how to get them out. Eventually I ground down a small screwdriver to a sharp point that I could slide between the sill and top plate and wedge under the screw head while I backed them out. Hole plug removal was easy using a tappet feeler gauge to run around the perimeter and depress the locking fingers as someone had mentioned on here before. The pipes fit the stock hangers fine and do not hit or rub anywhere on the frame. Getting the rubber mounts off the old stock exhaust was a bit of a pain, but not too bad once I decided to not finesse it and just used brute force. The exhaust tips barely fit through the rear opening and in my case, they press down a little on the small web at the bottom of the opening and bows it slightly. Doesn’t seem to hurt anything and it doesn't appear possible to adjust it out.

I did end up with just a very slight exhaust leak at the cat/resonator slip joint if anyone has a suggestion. The clamps are aligned corrected and tightened as much as I could get them.

Sound – I got what I was looking for. I was surprised that it was as loud as it was when I first fired it up. Sound is subjective, but I really like the sound I got from the Corsa. Idle is noticeably louder than stock with a throatier sound to it. I'm no longer embarrassed to idle along in traffic. Drone is gone when cruising and is a little louder and better sounding than stock at WOT. I love the sound of a good V8. The Corsa gives a somewhat exotic sound that’s like a cross between a big block V8 and a V12 Italian motor. It's not ratty sounding at all, which is one thing I definitely wanted to avoid. It’s sound is unique and I personally wouldn’t trade it for more of a V8 sound.

Performance – Butt Dyno registered zero with limited evaluation time, but that is what I was expecting and is still a great upgrade for the sound and looks of the exhaust tips.

I would highly recommend this setup to anyone unless you are a weekend warrior who wants to terrorize everyone in your path everytime you drive your Viper. In that case, you might want to get a more aggressive system.

--- Ken

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

I am getting the Corsa plus the HF cats and The Belanger headers tomorrow on my 01 RT/10 Creampuff. I will be getting before and after dyno numbers. All I have done so far is the smooth tubes and K&N's. I will post numbers on Thursday. I am like you, I want some noise from my real race car. I follow Steve Lenzner in his RT/10 and Corsa's when we drive around, and I can not even hear my own engine. It is really depressing. I hope I will be satisfied this time. I figure I should just do all or nothing, and have my wife ***** me out once instead of three times. I took my wife to Viper Days, and she did comment on how come when my car went by, she could not even hear it compared to the other cars. She even asked me what it would take to make it sound better. I do not know if Rocky and Steve put her up to it or not, but at least she asked. That is like approval , "RIGHT"??? Dennis Kimball

OP
OP
K

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dennis,
I look forward to your before and after dyno results as well as your observations regarding the sound quality and levels of the Corsa catback vs. the full system with headers and HF cats since you have another system to compare with.

And yes, I think your decision to strike while the iron's hot with the wife was a sound one. Mine on the other hand did not necessarily see a need for better sound since she has never heard another Viper, so I have to sneak my upgrades in one at a time below the budget radar screen.

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dennis, I am currently considering the same exhuast options for my 96' GTS. I am very interested in your before/after dyno numbers and overall impressions. Don't forget us on Thursday!
laugh.gif

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have the Corsa. The more I drive the car the more exhaust parts I take off. Im taking off the rear mufflers. The best thing about the corsa are those SWEEEET rolled "PRO" tips.

If I was going to do it again I would skip the whole system and just buy the tips and do some mild mufflers and cats in the sills and the rest straight.

GREAT SYSTEM for the MONEY THOUGH. I Had one on my vette as well as my GTS. Not real HQ stainless though. Try sticking a magnet to it.

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly,

I'd like to hear your car someday. I have the 3" Corsa. Was also thinking about headers and highflow cats but not sure... thinking it may be too loud for my neighbors. Maybe we can meet for lunch or beer or something... I'll buy
smile.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly T,
that is the ultimate system... but isn't around $5,000+???
for everything the belangers,random techs and corsa.

If that whole system was on a heck of a sale maybe..
but at that price.. can't think about it.

maybe someday...

JIM
smile.gif

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ken, I had a similar phenomenon as you regarding how the rear tips fit. I loosened all the exhaust clamps and adjusted the slip fits so that the rear tips stick out the back of the car where I want. It fits fine with no leaks. Mine also touched the body opening at the bottom, but I shimmed out the plastic body piece with a bit of rubber and everythings OK.

I think the sound is great. BTW, I went from the 2.5 inch systems to the 3 inch and the 3 inch is deeper and a bit louder.

Jim

OP
OP
K

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jim,
I meant to imply that the tips barely squeezed through the opening due to the rubber mounts. They actually extend to the back just about where I like them. Your points well taken though and I'm probably lucky they ended up in the right position with no conscious thought on my part. I had seen comments by some owners that the tips extended to far out which had me worried, but they look just right to me. I'll try your rubber cushion idea on the bottom brace to ensure there are no rattles.

SapphireGTS, what has you taking parts off? Looking for more volume or different sound? I agree though that Corsa could make a living just selling the tips, but I've heard they won't sell them alone.

Kelly T, I don't suppose you did a before and after dyno run did you? I'm not sure I can wait until Thursday for Dennis to report his numbers
smile.gif

Ray, thanks for the tip on the clamps. I figured I would put a few miles on then try to retighten. If that doesn't work, I'll probably give your double clamp idea a shot. My ultimate backup plan is to use the leak as an excuse to my wife to have HF cats welded on. Gotta be safety conscious you know...

jimandela, better start saving up now for those headers and HF cats so I don't beat you to the next upgrade! That price Kelly T mentioned doesn't sound THAT bad. BTW, how's that Viper yellow fire extinguisher coming along?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,
i am trying to save for voi7
if i can go... still working on it...
and i have a call in about the paint job on the extinguisher
but no word yet..
will keep ya posted
JIM

ps. congrats on the corsa
smile.gif