Another "Creampuff Cam" question

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search but couldn't fina and answer to my question.

Is there any 2000's that had the lumpy cam?

The reason I ask is my car is stock but does not seem to have the creanpuff smooth idle. It idles more like my 2004 and 2006. Both of those cars has full exhaust systems.

If there is two different cams for my year is there a way to tell which cam I have?

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To my knowledge no, it does not have the lumpy 708 cam but Ive heard that some very early 2000s did get this cam, dont know how or if this is even true.
The engine may have been rebuilt before you purchased it (I am assuming your not the original owner per your message).

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am the second owner. The original owner claims it's never had anything but oil changes since new.

Maybe someone has the answer??

Thanks for the reply!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your 04 and 06 have stock cams, that would explain why they sound similar. The 708 cam has pretty distinct lope when it is at idle.

Can you drive through a parking lot in first gear with the clutch disengaged at low speed and light throttle without having to press the clutch back in? If you can, you have a cream puff cam.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it sounds like your SRT then the cam has not been changed
None of the other years sound like the 708
Roller rockers can sound like a cam, and exhaust will change the sound at idle, but only the cam will sound lopey

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wires are original, I guess I probably have the non-708 cam then. It's not lopey by my definition but it doesn't idle like a Lexus either.

I really haven't had much seat time in this car because of weather here in Iowa but it seemed very drivable at low speeds.

From what I understand there isn't any power difference in the two cams just sound??

There has to be some duration or overlap differences between the two. Did Dodge put two different cams in the same motor without any other changes?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hard to diagnose a car in IA while im in NJ, but id change out those wires and plugs asap. regardless of sound, they cant be any good at this point and at some point you're asking for a problem if not.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your 04 and 06 have stock cams, that would explain why they sound similar. The 708 cam has pretty distinct lope when it is at idle.

Can you drive through a parking lot in first gear with the clutch disengaged at low speed and light throttle without having to press the clutch back in? If you can, you have a cream puff cam.

LOL that is so true. My '98 would be a bucking bronco....

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oooops, I meant to type 1994 and 1996 vipers, NOT 2004 and 2006. Sorry!

Why would my wires etc be bad? The car has 7000 miles??

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was on there way back when but i havent been on that site in like 10 years i bet. i went to moparstyle and stayed there. im pretty sure its "the other plumcrazy" you know. his name was capitalized i believe

wires go bad, especially old ones.

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on Moparstyle too. I think it's you I remember because you and I got our first Vipers about the same time. That would be about 8 years ago???

I had and still have a 1968 Barracuda. It was the logo car for "forabodiesonly" when that forum first started

My name was "barracuda1968" My cuda was on the cover of Mopar Muscle in Feb of 2005.

Maybe you? Maybe not?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ahhh, yes. thats me then. i remember your 68 as we had 68 cudas at the same time as well....

why aint you on the style ?

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pretty much left the mucle car forums a few years back. I parked the Cuda 3 years ago and haven't had much interest in getting back in to that scene.

I got in to Harley's and snowmobiling plus I've been too busy to take the time for the Cuda. I bought a Car dealership so my spare time is limited.

I haven't had a Viper for three year either. I sold my 1996 and bought a 2002 Lotus Esprit anniversary edition. I got on a plane down to Penn. to drive it home. They look cool in the pictures but I hated the car the second I sat in it. So I sold it a month later. What do you do:dunno:

I just have too many irons in the fire.

Is the Viper you have now the first one you bought?

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was the same car.

I think I'm gona at least do a cat back system on my car and call it good. Can't stand the sound of the stock exhaust.

Not sure what brand yet??? The prices they get for these exhaust systems just floor me. LOL

It ain't like the good old hot rods.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a buddy just South of DesMoines with a '99 RT10 (which I twin turbo'd in 2008 for him). Has the "708" cam in it and is a very distinctive idle sound. You guys are probably in for a rough winter, but come spring, hit me up and I'll get you his number so you guys can meet up.

-Matt.

BTW... My grandfather lived in New London, IA for many years, now in Burlington.

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be great!

I think I have the only Viper in these parts. It would be nice to have some somewhat local Viper owners to take a cruise with some time.