Another new guy question

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am seriously considering buying a '01 GTS. I will be coming from the Corvette would. I trying to decide between the C6 and a slightly used Viper (<8k miles). The C6 certainly has the gadgets, but I've always admired the mighty V-10 and flamboyant style.

I love to drive my cars and would put quite a few miles on the Viper. Will I face any reliability issues with a '01 Viper. Another Viper owner tells me they are fairly bullet proof and the only problems he has had was due to aftermarket mods.

Your experiences and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am no expert but they are pretty basic cars. What is expensive is parts. Get a good extended warranty & you should be ok. A good percentage of Viper owners came from the vett world so you are in good company. Vipers make a excellent 2nd car, but I would not want to drive it everyday if I had to drive a lot.
The smile you get on your face everytime you get in & accelerate is priceless. Way better than my vetts!

my

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a sticky for this question.

Get the Vette.

Vettes and Vipers are completely different cars. The Vette is a "real" car, the Viper is a "raw" car.

If raw is what you want, you'd never in a million years consider a Vette. If real is what you want, you'd never consider the Gen I/II Viper. The fact you're cross shopping the 2 suggests you want a real car.

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We need a sticky for this question.

Get the Vette.

Vettes and Vipers are completely different cars. The Vette is a "real" car, the Viper is a "raw" car.

If raw is what you want, you'd never in a million years consider a Vette. If real is what you want, you'd never consider the Gen I/II Viper. The fact you're cross shopping the 2 suggests you want a real car.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just a horsepower nut. I had not considered the Viper before, because I did not know a slightly use one would be reasonably priced. I like raw, but am I take, from your real world comment, that the Viper would not be a relatively dependable car? Do they require a lot of maintenance when driven almost daily? If so, you may be right. I love to drive my cars and have modified my Vette. I can't help but to want to drive it everyday and I imagine the Viper would urge me to drive it even more.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the Vette.

I've always called the Viper a "real" car. For me it's not an everyday driver, because I drive a Pick-up everyday. The Corvette is more on an everyday car, but there's so many out there. The other day I went on a 6 minute drive and saw 3 Corvettes, that's just too many. You don't ever see a Viper around here except once in awhile. If you do buy a Vette, buy a C5. The new C6's just don't cut it for me with the smiley face and all. The Viper experience is like nothing you've ever experienced before, and I've had a lot of Hot-Rods. Get the Viper. :2tu:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhh........

And yet ANOTHER vette convert!

So many vette owners so FEW Vipers..............

Welcome to the VCA Forum!

"Join the VCA it costs less than 28 CENTS a day"

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. Maybe soon I'll be an owner. I'm not too concerned with comfort, just reliability. Nothing is more aggravating than having your car in the shop. What's your opinion on the Viper holding up on a lot of miles.

Would you say comparable to the vette? When I say reliable, I'm being relative. I know were not speaking of a Honda Accord.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BJH1, First off, Welcome.

I would say Jrkermode put it pretty well. It's Raw, but it's the real deal. I consider it driving a race car on the street. (I actually race cars and get paid for it, that's why I make the comparison that way)

There quite a few cars you hear of and see on this forum that have high miles, 107K, 98K, 75K and so on. It's just an old push rod motor, pretty simple.

There are many daily drivers that post on here too.

Some cars have their own idiosyncrasies, but all makes do.

Once you know and understand the car, i.e. They are hard to "burp" (get the air out) when you flush or fill your radiator. But once you know that, and how to do it, you won't "think" you have it right and go out and overheat it.

IMO, they are very reliable cars. If buying used just make sure you look it over top and bottom. There are a lot of wrecked ones out there.

Anyway....They are a reliable car, as much so as a Vette. At least the Vette I owned.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, no one has answered so I'll say that my car has been extremely reliable (it's a 2000 GTS w/19k miles). I know you'll get others on this board chiming in with many more problem free miles. I don't see any problem with having a Viper as a daily driver as long as you're willing to buy the gas and deal with the attention!

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Real, Car ?

My MB is a real car, (as are many other fine cars American/Imports/etc)
My Viper is a Real Sports Car. I have owned several Vettes in my days as well, one when I was younger and it was the daily driver, fun but yeah it bacame, well a daily driver, not special after a while. A few years later when I could afford the vette as a second car it was more fun and a fine automobile. When it was replaced by the Viper the experience ws unmatched. Please note...
I would enjoy the Viper less if I had to drive it everyday, it requires effort and attention. It is also one of the things I look foward too most is getting behind the wheel and let the torque take over.
The attention the car gets makes it difficult to leave unattended for periods of time. It's attention it gets from 5 year olds to middle age to senior age folks makes it fun to drive. It's lack of electronics and monster torque makes in not optimal for bad weather, rain, snow etc. It is also this is along with the monster torque that gives you the seat of the pants thrill like having NASCAR on the street. You, the car the engine and the street ! If you are in a position to acquire the Viper as a second car then you will be fortunate enough to experience one of the most exciting street legal driving experieces out there today. If not be aware there are trade off's, your choice. Either way good luck and drive safe !

PS I probaly drive the Viper harder than any other car I have ever owned and its reliability is pretty darn good. A little expensive compared to most domestic/japaneese cars but about equal compared to German imports.

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BJH1, First off, Welcome.

I would say Jrkermode put it pretty well. It's Raw, but it's the real deal. I consider it driving a race car on the street. (I actually race cars and get paid for it, that's why I make the comparison that way)

There quite a few cars you hear of and see on this forum that have high miles, 107K, 98K, 75K and so on. It's just an old push rod motor, pretty simple.

There are many daily drivers that post on here too.

Some cars have their own idiosyncrasies, but all makes do.

Once you know and understand the car, i.e. They are hard to "burp" (get the air out) when you flush or fill your radiator. But once you know that, and how to do it, you won't "think" you have it right and go out and overheat it.

IMO, they are very reliable cars. If buying used just make sure you look it over top and bottom. There are a lot of wrecked ones out there.

Anyway....They are a reliable car, as much so as a Vette. At least the Vette I owned.
Ok, no one has answered so I'll say that my car has been extremely reliable (it's a 2000 GTS w/19k miles). I know you'll get others on this board chiming in with many more problem free miles. I don't see any problem with having a Viper as a daily driver as long as you're willing to buy the gas and deal with the attention!

Thanks for the answers. I guess it now comes down to the price I can get the guy to, and the price I can get for my Vette.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have had four Vettes and three Vipers, although the Vettes were older. I originally chose a Viper vs. a newer Vette because there were so many Vettes on the road and I wanted something different. More importantly, I LOVED the rumble and "undiluted" sense of the '60's muscle cars. Raw indeed. I like to tell people that the Viper is basically a 60's big block muscle car with a few modern conveniences thrown in (A/C, CD player, and ABS in 2001+). That was my attraction to the Viper.

Your main question which seems a little unanswered to this point is regarding reliability. Your friend's comment about being bulletproof is pretty much dead on. In three Vipers and 40,000 miles I have never been stranded or worrying about it. A few minor warranty issues early on (well, one big one in 2000 - but that was a known problem with +/- 200 cars) and that was pretty much it. If you asked me to drive any of them on a daily basis or across the country, I wouldn't hesitate for even a second.

I don't think the driveability is the main issue for many Viper owners as regards it being a daily driver. Many of these same guys drove 60's muscle cars every day that were far more difficult to drive - not to mention less dependable. My personal opinion as to why more aren't daily drivers has nothing to do with how they drive. It is as follows:

1. Paranoia - parking any exotic car can be tricky, especially one that has no side protection (trim). Unfortunately, in the case of double parking even on the very furthest reaches of a parking lot, you can be damned if you do and damned if you don't: I have found myself parking at the far end of a lot where there is not a car within 150 spaces. Come out and a person has parked RIGHT next to me to be an ass. So you angle park over two spaces the next time - again so incredibly far out that even a marathon runner won't park there. And then you get a nasty note (or worse) about your "arrogant" parking job.

2. Curbs, curbs, and more curbs. Whether it is a Gen I, II, or III - the hood is an optical illusion. Pull forward into any parking place and give yourself what you think is about a three-foot cushion to the curb. And you will still be about an inch away. Show me a mark-free lower Viper fascia and I will show you a car that never gets driven or enjoys a repainted fascia from time-to-time. Note that some add protective aluminum "skid strips" to the lower fascia.

3. The "have-nots" sometimes don't understand. This could actually fall under the paranoia class, but there are some people that view any exotic car as wretched excess. You know how some people find the H2 as an arrogant, impractical waste of money and resources? The Viper can throw some of those same people into a tizzy. While very uncommon, you will get some folks that really diss you for driving that car. People that wouldn't give a second glance to the Vette (just like the Escalade doesn't inspire the same level of jealousy/spite as it's platform-mate) will roll their eyes at you or worse.

4. Insurance. The Viper is not always an expensive car to insure. However a "limited use" policy will save you even more. My '05 costs me about $1200 a year to insure with full coverage - and a limit of 7500 miles a year. Blew that out of the water with my '00, barely made it with the '03. Not sure on this one yet. Regardless, count on a much better insurance rate if you keep the miles off.

5. "You actually DRIVE your Viper?!" The Viper as a daily driver is almost unheard of even in the best of climates. It has ZERO to do with reliability. Besides the paranoia and the curbs, it has to do with perception and the odometer. Most owners feel that adding miles is BAD, whether it be for resale, insurance, or just because. Take a look at the used Viper market and the vast majority (90%+) have very low miles for their age. There are a LOT of Vipers which get only a few hundred miles a year. One of my absolute FAVORITE members in our club has a beautiful, modified GTS. That he never drives because he hates to put miles on it. Worse, he talked a friend into buying a Viper and he too won't take his out of the garage (maybe 300 miles on a 2001). God bless him, but I will never totally understand that approach to Viper ownership. Maybe if it was already an older Viper, say a blue/white GTS that has low miles, but otherwise I think they are just too much fun to drive.

Bottom line: The Viper is a great car to drive and is as dependable as any car I have ever owned. Like a '60's muscle car, it definitely lacks in some of the creature comforts and that is why it appeals to so many Viper "purists". But for an all-out blast every time you look or drive it, you simply can't beat a Viper. In my very humble opinion, of course.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have had four Vettes and three Vipers, although the Vettes were older. I originally chose a Viper vs. a newer Vette because there were so many Vettes on the road and I wanted something different. More importantly, I LOVED the rumble and "undiluted" sense of the '60's muscle cars. Raw indeed. I like to tell people that the Viper is basically a 60's big block muscle car with a few modern conveniences thrown in (A/C, CD player, and ABS in 2001+). That was my attraction to the Viper.

Your main question which seems a little unanswered to this point is regarding reliability. Your friend's comment about being bulletproof is pretty much dead on. In three Vipers and 40,000 miles I have never been stranded or worrying about it. A few minor warranty issues early on (well, one big one in 2000 - but that was a known problem with +/- 200 cars) and that was pretty much it. If you asked me to drive any of them on a daily basis or across the country, I wouldn't hesitate for even a second.

I don't think the driveability is the main issue for many Viper owners as regards it being a daily driver. Many of these same guys drove 60's muscle cars every day that were far more difficult to drive - not to mention less dependable. My personal opinion as to why more aren't daily drivers has nothing to do with how they drive. It is as follows:

1. Paranoia - parking any exotic car can be tricky, especially one that has no side protection (trim). Unfortunately, in the case of double parking even on the very furthest reaches of a parking lot, you can be damned if you do and damned if you don't: I have found myself parking at the far end of a lot where there is not a car within 150 spaces. Come out and a person has parked RIGHT next to me to be an ass. So you angle park over two spaces the next time - again so incredibly far out that even a marathon runner won't park there. And then you get a nasty note (or worse) about your "arrogant" parking job.

2. Curbs, curbs, and more curbs. Whether it is a Gen I, II, or III - the hood is an optical illusion. Pull forward into any parking place and give yourself what you think is about a three-foot cushion to the curb. And you will still be about an inch away. Show me a mark-free lower Viper fascia and I will show you a car that never gets driven or enjoys a repainted fascia from time-to-time. Note that some add protective aluminum "skid strips" to the lower fascia.

3. The "have-nots" sometimes don't understand. This could actually fall under the paranoia class, but there are some people that view any exotic car as wretched excess. You know how some people find the H2 as an arrogant, impractical waste of money and resources? The Viper can throw some of those same people into a tizzy. While very uncommon, you will get some folks that really diss you for driving that car. People that wouldn't give a second glance to the Vette (just like the Escalade doesn't inspire the same level of jealousy/spite as it's platform-mate) will roll their eyes at you or worse.

4. Insurance. The Viper is not always an expensive car to insure. However a "limited use" policy will save you even more. My '05 costs me about $1200 a year to insure with full coverage - and a limit of 7500 miles a year. Blew that out of the water with my '00, barely made it with the '03. Not sure on this one yet. Regardless, count on a much better insurance rate if you keep the miles off.

5. "You actually DRIVE your Viper?!" The Viper as a daily driver is almost unheard of even in the best of climates. It has ZERO to do with reliability. Besides the paranoia and the curbs, it has to do with perception and the odometer. Most owners feel that adding miles is BAD, whether it be for resale, insurance, or just because. Take a look at the used Viper market and the vast majority (90%+) have very low miles for their age. There are a LOT of Vipers which get only a few hundred miles a year. One of my absolute FAVORITE members in our club has a beautiful, modified GTS. That he never drives because he hates to put miles on it. Worse, he talked a friend into buying a Viper and he too won't take his out of the garage (maybe 300 miles on a 2001). God bless him, but I will never totally understand that approach to Viper ownership. Maybe if it was already an older Viper, say a blue/white GTS that has low miles, but otherwise I think they are just too much fun to drive.

Bottom line: The Viper is a great car to drive and is as dependable as any car I have ever owned. Like a '60's muscle car, it definitely lacks in some of the creature comforts and that is why it appeals to so many Viper "purists". But for an all-out blast every time you look or drive it, you simply can't beat a Viper. In my very humble opinion, of course.

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:
Your Right on the money!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A very basic engine when compared to imports. About the same state of tune as the LT1 chevy small block except with more pistons and displacement.
The trans and rear are hd versions of the same thing that's in the Vette.

Lots of real torque. You don't have to be in the "right" gear to have the car pull hard.

So, a simple big engine with good reliability.

The small downside would be;

The chance of damage or vandalism if you park in some "everyday driver" places.

The very wide tires can hydroplane at reasonable highway speed when other cars are not having this problem.

The rear end comes loose very easily in the wet if you don't have traction control.

It is a very powerful car, more low end power than many folks are used to and one can easily have it get away from them. Never let your buddy borrow it, never.

Not much ground clearance.
Not much room inside.
May get hot inside.
Some aftermarket exhausts may drone inside.
Constant stream of ricers and other jerks who want to race.
Constant stream of nice people who want to ask questions and see the engine. You feel like you can't just blow them off, even when you don't have time for them.

All in all, it's a powerful, special car that you need to be careful with. I don't believe you will find the reliability any less than a Vette.

OP
OP
B

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have had four Vettes and three Vipers, although the Vettes were older. I originally chose a Viper vs. a newer Vette because there were so many Vettes on the road and I wanted something different. More importantly, I LOVED the rumble and "undiluted" sense of the '60's muscle cars. Raw indeed. I like to tell people that the Viper is basically a 60's big block muscle car with a few modern conveniences thrown in (A/C, CD player, and ABS in 2001+). That was my attraction to the Viper etc....

Wow, I could not have asked for a better and more detailed answer. Thanks!

Looks like things are moving right along and I may have it by Thursday. The replies in this post have aided my decision. My wife and I work for the same company and I will carpool with her most of the time. Maybe, after a while, I will by a daily driver for myself. My daughter turns 16 next July so I have to buy her a car before I buy a daily driver for myself. I will try to keep the miles off the Viper, but will be hard not to drive it everyday.

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I traded in my DAILY DRIVER 03 Cobra for my NEW DAILY DRIVER 01 Viper GTS with NO COMPLAINTS.

It is a FINE daily driver as long as you don't paln on driving in the SNOW.

Now my Supercharged 92 Mustang is not what I consider a TRUE daily driver (fats and skinnies, no sway bar, no a/c), but it gets pressed in to service on RAINY DAYS so I don't have to get the Viper dirty.

Get the Viper, I had a 75,92,93,96,00, and 01 Vette - I would take the Viper straight up for all 6 Vettes combined.

Howard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinusbeats