Another reason to buy a Viper....

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From Ferrari Chat today:

"Hi Guys,
I just picked up my F355 from FOW where they did an oil change for me. They charged me $355.00 Is this consistent with what others have paid at FOW? Anyone have a comparison price from Competizone? They quoted 1 1/2 hours labor @ 135.00 per hr, plus 10 qts Shell Helix oil @ 10.00 each, plus a 47.00 for a filter. .... OUCH!! "

Whoa $355??????

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Ferrari Chat today:

"Hi Guys,
I just picked up my F355 from FOW where they did an oil change for me. They charged me $355.00 Is this consistent with what others have paid at FOW? Anyone have a comparison price from Competizone? They quoted 1 1/2 hours labor @ 135.00 per hr, plus 10 qts Shell Helix oil @ 10.00 each, plus a 47.00 for a filter. .... OUCH!! "

Whoa $355??????

Good thing he didn't have a 599! :D

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any day you can walk out of a repair shop with a $355 bill on any Ferrari (let alone a 355) is a GOOD day..!!!!!

Those 355's are nightmare cars, hence why thery are so cheap now. Expect to spend 10% of the entire cars value PER YEAR, to keep one of those running proper. A belt serive, is an engine out job.

A friend of mine has an F1 car that had some tranny noise. He just got word from the dealer, they want $17,000 !!!!! No, I didnt add to many zero's. $17k to fix a car, thats worth about $55k. those things are insane and Plagued with problems.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil change on my GT is $300. You have to remove about 5 zillion screws and remove oil from 2 places, etc. I have a lift and i won't fool with it. Viper--easy

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I refuse to buy a car that I can't maintain myself. There are some awesome cars out there, but that awesomeness wears off really fast when you have to pay through the nose just to keep it maintained. The hardest thing about working on a Viper is getting a floor jack and jack stands under it :)

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read a lot of posts on the Ferrari , Lambo forums before getting a Viper . All I would read is constant problems with the cars . One owner quoted buying a Lambo Murci was the best day of his life , selling it was the new best day of his life . First year of ownership the car was in the shop for 10 months with various problems . Same thread an owner posted how his new one was in for six months . Then a few replied how six months must have been a good year . That if hewanted to own a car that didn't have high maitenance he should buy a lexus. On and on about constant problems with the F1 trany , crazy high repair costs which are constantly occuring . No wonder a Gallardo that costs 280k new . You can now buy plenty used for just over 100k. One owner in first year of ownership had a 100k repair bill while the car was still under warranty . *** that is completely unacceptable on cars that cost so much .

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read a lot of posts on the Ferrari , Lambo forums before getting a Viper . All I would read is constant problems with the cars . One owner quoted buying a Lambo Murci was the best day of his life , selling it was the new best day of his life . First year of ownership the car was in the shop for 10 months with various problems . Same thread an owner posted how his new one was in for six months . Then a few replied how six months must have been a good year . That if hewanted to own a car that didn't have high maitenance he should buy a lexus. On and on about constant problems with the F1 trany , crazy high repair costs which are constantly occuring . No wonder a Gallardo that costs 280k new . You can now buy plenty used for just over 100k. One owner in first year of ownership had a 100k repair bill while the car was still under warranty . *** that is completely unacceptable on cars that cost so much .

That is insane. They are beautiful cars, but my love fir them would fade real fast with repair bills like that. For some I understand money is no object, but six months without my car would be torture.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oil change for Lamborghini is almost $3000. But they look soooo sweet..

Actually not true for my Diablo (owned for 14 years).

Remember, it is a dry sump system so it takes 16 quarts.. I buy Agip SINT-2000 oil directly (by the case) and it is only $70 (includes shipping) plus a filter ($10) and your time. If you take it to a dealer they will mark up the price of the oil (usually triple) so it can be closer to $300 (including shop labor rate).

-J

thaimonkee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone had told me the Gallardo and Murc from dealer cost close to 3 grand. I would do it myself. But most people want to document anything that was done to the car for proof.

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, Diablo oil change is pretty simple. Just needs lots of oil. 14 qrts. Filter is a bit of a PITA to get to but not bad other than that!

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No car costs $3k to change oil. come on man. The nightmare in the 335's is the belt service,clutch,and exhaust/cat problems. Other than (all of) that, their pretrty solid cars. LOL. Diablos are very maint. intensive too. But Murci's(Audi) are not that bad. Other than clutches and regualr maint.(oil chages,etc.) they run very well. The Diablos are like the GTS Vipers are to the Viper brand. Classic,timeless,exotic design, that will never go out, or fade away..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang